News Tennessee troopers take to truck to nab texters

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Sep 4, 2015.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Tennessee troopers take to truck to nab texters
    By Jonathan Serrie

Published September 04, 2015

[​IMG]

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – State troopers are hiding in plain sight as they try to recapture the attention of distracted drivers.

Their full-size truck is outfitted with a blue light bar and Tennessee Highway Patrol (THP) decals. Yet many passing motorists continue to text and drive, apparently unaware of the uniformed trooper peering down from the cab.

“Folks aren’t looking for rigs like this, that belong to us, that are used for these enforcement initiatives,” said THP Sgt. Josh Brown.

“It’s not a covert operation.”

- Lt. Bill Miller, Tennessee Highway Patrol

The truck’s high vantage point allows troopers to spot drivers who keep their phones below window level. When they spot a violator, they radio a description of the vehicle to troopers in conventional police cars to make a traffic stop.

“It seems like people have the attitude, ‘Everybody does it. And this one time isn’t gonna matter,’” Sgt. Brown said. “Unfortunately, many times those distractions do end up in crashes.”

Distracted driving, including texting and cell phone use, plays a role in 26 percent of traffic fatalities, ranking just behind speeding (30 percent) and alcohol use (31 percent), according to data compiled by the National Safety Council (NSC), a nonprofit public interest group chartered by Congress.

“This Labor Day weekend, if we could have no drunk drivers, no distracted drivers and people just slowed down a bit, hundreds of lives would be saved,” said NSC President Deborah Hersman.

Around the nation, police are becoming increasingly creative in their efforts to catch texting drivers. In some municipalities, cops have posed as panhandlers or construction workers to get a closer look inside passing cars.

But the Tennessee Highway Patrol’s strategy is different.

“It’s not a covert operation,” THP Lt. Bill Miller said, standing in front of his agency’s Peterbilt police truck. “We’re not trying to hide it. We’re very proud of it.”

Seized in a drug bust, the truck allows state troopers to spot hazards beyond texting, such as safety belt and child seat violations. Although the idea of cops watching from above may make some motorists uncomfortable, police insist it’s all in the name of safety.

“We know that the truck is saving lives,” Lt. Miller said. “We know that beyond a shadow of a doubt.”

2. ApeFace

ApeFace Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Great news. Nothing more irritating. Every night coming home from work, there is always one jerkoff in the left lane jamming everyone up because he's dicking around on his phone. I enjoy cutting them off and then locking up my brakes. It should be an automatic loss of your license if you get caught.

tomg, inlimbo76, Homerj123 and 4 others like this.
  3. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Texters worse and more prevelant than drunks

4. AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    As of September 1st they have raised the fines for texting while driving to like $500!

Last summer the cops were doing a blitz and when I passed through an intersection I kept seeing cops directing people into a restaurant parking lot not far from the stop lights. I couldn't figure out what was going on but when I passed though again I realized that the 'construction worker' on the median was actually an undercover cop in a hard hat and reflective vest. He was looking at cars that were stopped, then radioing to the other guys which cars to pull over. Pretty cool! They did it for a couple days and I saw several cars pulled over each time I passed through.

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  5. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:
    When I just did my month long vacation in July, I saw dozens and dozens of people texting on the highways or on the streets. At first my wife and I were keeping a running count, then we just gave up and would just say, there's another one! :facepalm:

6. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:
    My mom gave me one of these for my car, damn that things works great! It hangs on the visor right over head, it has crystal clear sound and never drop's out. It pairs with my phone the moment I get in the car and tells me. When I've used rentals, their factory radios always disconnected from my phone in the middle of talking and given me problems, this one always works like it should.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2012/03/31/jabra-journey-bluetooth-car-speaker-review/

7. playitagainfred

playitagainfred Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    100% support this from the THP

8. Mr Vengeance

Mr Vengeance Ladies love cool V. VIP

Reputations:
    This is nothing new. Cops have been doing things for years to nap texters. Dressing up like homeless people on offramps, etc. I'm all for people texting getting nabbed, but I have a problem with the sweeping changes that are being made. Why in the fuck is it a fine to be stopped at a red light and glance down at your phone? You don't even have to touch it anymore. If your head is looking down, they'll pull you over. You could be looking at what station you have on the radio, and they still pull you over and say distracted driving. WTF????? You're stopped at a red, and look down and that's an offense now?? Cash grab and they know it. They wrap it in the same blanket as texting so people will support their grab.

But drinking 8 cups of coffee as you drive is still legal in most places....

IfTheyOnlyKnew and Bye You! like this.
  9. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    Agree. My phone IS my radio. So I can't change the station? Ridiculous.

10. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Will never stop the texters....so fckn annoying.

11. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...in seattle cops are in construction zones wearing hard hats and yellow vests to look like construction road crew personnel. theyre looking for talking on cell phones and texting.

12. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:

13. EvolvedMarbles

EvolvedMarbles Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I wonder if the cost of the equipment, manpower, etc. makes this program cash-positive for the state.

Going to guess no.