Tesla has Disastrous Earnings

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by CrucifiedAGT, Feb 13, 2015.

1. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
    You have to love Musk, but sheesh, this is some way to run a public company! Howard related because he loves vacations.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/an...fourth-quarter-earnings-disappoint-2015-02-12

Tesla delivered 31,655 cars in 2014, falling short of its goal of 33,000 cars. It delivered 9,834 cars in the fourth quarter, a record for the company but ultimately short by 1,345 toward the target.

The company blamed the miss on severe winter weather, customers’ vacation schedules, and problems with shipping. It reported a fourth-quarter adjusted loss of 13 cents a share, from expectations of earnings of 33 cents a share.

1Vegasgirl, smichal and John Sterling like this.
  2. babybear

babybear r.i.p 8/3/15, Wherewolf of AZ VIP

Reputations:
    wish I had a Tesla.

3. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    used to love playing this one on guitar

4. Limo Wreck

Limo Wreck Aboard the great mothership Staff Member

Reputations:
  5. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    send them more gov't money
    :facepalm:

Head Censor, jake206, cg256 and 3 others like this.
  6. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    they need a better PR person. even howard spins better than that

CrucifiedAGT likes this.
  7. Lance Murdock

Lance Murdock Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    they are still a young company. plus, when this thing comes out, if it delivers (which it should), they have my dollar:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...er-your-home-and-maybe-the-electric-grid-too/

Tesla is working on a battery that can power your home and even help large-scale utilities store energy more efficiently, according to company chief executive Elon Musk.

On an investor call Wednesday, Musk said the designs for a home or business battery are already complete and will likely be unveiled to the public "in the next month or two." Production could be as little as six months away, he added.

"It's really great. I'm really excited about it," said Musk.

While there's no word yet on price, Tesla's battery and charging technology could ultimately wind up saving you money on your electric bill. Although many of today's homes draw energy directly from the electricity grid, the spread of cheap solar panels means it's never been easier to generate some of your own energy. Storing renewables efficiently has been a big bottleneck for consumers and for utilities alike, but if Tesla's stationary battery takes off, it could change the way electricity is priced and traded on a market scale. (For years, it's been many people's dream to sell excess energy back to the grid.)

For the millions of consumers frustrated with their power companies thanks to frequent outages and poor customer service, the batteries could be a boon. In general, the choices for how people power their homes is relatively limited. Most have to rely exclusively on their local utility providers. Getting a generator can be expensive -- some homeowners pay around $20,000 for back-up generators that run on natural gas. So Tesla is eyeing a market that might be ripe for innovation.

Morgan Stanley made waves last year when it wrote that Tesla's forthcoming products in this space could meet a huge market demand.

“There may be a 'tipping point' that causes customers to seek an off-grid approach,” Morgan Stanley wrote last March. “The more customers move to solar, the remaining utility customer bill will rise, creating even further “headroom” for Tesla’s off-grid approach.”

Tesla is already laying the groundwork to ensure its stationary batteries get as widely distributed as possible.

"A lot of utilities are working in this space, and we're talking to almost all of them," said Tesla's chief technical officer, JB Straubel. "It’s early stage stuff and a lot of these projects are very far out since the procurement cycle for utilities is so long. But this is a business that certainly is gaining an increasing amount of our attention."

8. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:

Limo Wreck likes this.
  9. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I hope it's correct, but I'll believe it when I see it.

10. CrucifiedAGT

Reputations:
    This company isn't lacking in ideas, thats for sure. It's execution and running a profitable company that is the issue.

Then there is the whole issue of does the market want an electric car, no matter how incredible?

Stag likes this.
  11. KillVampires

KillVampires Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    If you take away the government taxpayer subsidies to that company they'd have been out of business in their first year.

jake206, cg256 and CrucifiedAGT like this.
  12. Lance Murdock

Reputations:
    I think the electric car is here to stay this time. Gas went way down there for a while, but now it is inching back up. Even with gas at around 2.30 per gallon by me, I'd rather have an electric, especially one that I can charge at a charging station for free, like Tesla is doing and GM is trying to emulate. Plus, GM's Bolt is going into production soon, which is like an economy Tesla, not to mention Tesla's economy version coming out soon. When these cars go down to about $30K before subsidies, they will really start moving.

MrPPV likes this.
  13. meekmillz

meekmillz Active Member

Reputations:
    anybody who buys an electric car is a pretentious attention whore douche.

This shit is ugly as fuck anyways. The interior looks like its made out of the same material they use in those plastic rubbermaid bins

[​IMG]

For an upwards of 70k its not even that fast. Youre better off getting a Maserati Ghibli which actually impresses people instead of making you look like a douche.

14. CrucifiedAGT

Reputations:
    I don't live in a big city, so I can't really relate to the need for such a car. I do know the electric car market in general has been a financial failure. The issue is range and true cost to manufacture.

15. Lance Murdock

Reputations:
    I think the issue is perception. People that think they need range "just in case"...but "just in case" never happens. I'm in the suburbs. I either take the train to the city (2 miles from my house each way) or drive to the office (30 miles each way, 60 miles).

Once an electric gets about 120-150 miles per range (regardless of weather (too hot, too cold), I think it will take off.

The cost of manufacture will go down in time, especially once Tesla gets their factory working.

CrucifiedAGT likes this.
  16. popspot13

popspot13 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Really? I live in the biggest market in the entire country for electric cars and you can't look twice without seeing a Leaf, Tesla, BMW i3, etc. This area is also one of the most conservative Congressional districts in the country, so this is far from people buying EVs because of some hippy liberal cause as what would be expected. I own an EV and it's the best damn car that I've ever owned. I can vouch, though, that most people that are buying Teslas are doing so because they are pretentious douchebags and they're buying it as a status symbol. It is, however, an unbelievable vehicle.... Maserati, Tesla, whatever, you aren't driving it fast anywhere in traffic, so fast, please, that's of no importance in reality.

XaltedSmoke likes this.
  17. popspot13

popspot13 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My EV has a range in the mid-80s and I've never had an issue of being out of miles. The lowest I've ever run it down is 13 miles of range left. It's just as you've noted, perception versus reality.

18. Beefus and Wigward lies

Beefus and Wigward lies Hurts so good.

Reputations:
    When the Tesla stock dips into 190's - let me know.
    It's riding way too high to buy and no amount of worry stops it from climbing.
    Ps
    They are building a plant in NV.
    No signs of slowing down IMO.

Not an electric car guy either- drive a Charger.

19. Lance Murdock

Reputations:
    What model and what type of extreme temperatures are there in your area? I have heard of reduction in range by like 15-20% depending on weather...any truth to that in your experience?

20. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    They need to cut a hole in the floor board so you can drive like the Flintstones when the battery dies on a long trip.

CrucifiedAGT likes this.