Texas family says hacker spied on child through baby monitor

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Aug 15, 2013.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    [h=1]Hacker targets Houston family's baby monitor[/h] Tuesday, August 13, 2013
    [​IMG] Jessica Willey

[​IMG]

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It was a terrifying experience for the parents of two young children after their baby monitor was hacked. What the hacker did next is even more disturbing.
    The story has a creepy factor. The father in northwest Harris County says he and his wife heard a detached voiced saying sexual things to their two-year-old daughter and it was coming from her room.
    For two years, Marc Gilbert and his wife have come to rely on their Internet cameras.
    "We almost couldn't live without it," he said.
    With them, they could watch their two toddlers in their rooms. But over the weekend, someone else was watching, too.
    "It felt like somebody broke into our house," Gilbert said.
    Gilbert says he first heard a voice from down the hall. As he and his wife got closer, what it was saying got worse.

"He said, 'Wake up Allyson, you little (expletive),'" Gilbert said.
    And soon he knew it was coming from the camera.
    "I see the camera move on us," Gilbert said.
    Gilbert immediately pulled the plug and started doing research. He believes someone hacked his router as well as the camera. The person could see Allyson's name on the bedroom wall to call her by it.
    He now wants to warn parents about the danger.
    "As a father, I'm supposed to protect her against people like this. So it's a little embarrassing to say the least but it's not going to happen again," Gilbert said.
    The only saving grace is that Allyson never heard a thing.
    "Allyson was born deaf, so she has cochlear implants. Thankfully we had them off and she didn't hear any of it and she slept right through it," Gilbert said.
    A computer expert suggests following all security recommendations for these types of cameras, as well as securing your home networks as much as possible.

2. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
  3. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    super scary

4. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    quite the lucky saving grace. "i'm deaf, but it's a good thing, because i didn't hear what a pervert said when i was 2."

5. telecaster

telecaster Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Reputations:
    What a sick fuck.

6. Ashbeard

Ashbeard Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This is what worries me with the new xbox. Always connected to internet with camera and mic, who knows who's watching you.

7. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    make sure you have a password protected wifi, which uses something other than the default password. a mac filter makes it even better. i know those can still be hacked, but these kind of "hacked" stories are almost always from someone with an open wifi.

btw, the picture on the wall behind you is crooked and you probably need to wipe better, because you sure scratch your butt a lot.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  8. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
    They should make strict laws that not only involve jail time but a few years restricted from any internet activity like they do with habitual alcohol and drug abusers involving violent crimes. This is beyond fucked up and i fear just the tip of the iceberg. I heard the other day on the news someone hacked into a car since most of them are digital and wifi capable. The hacker started controlling aspects of the car's navigation while the passenger was driving.

9. nicksgt

nicksgt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    this is the kind of story that makes me so happy to live in the middle of nowhere..i'd honestly want to kill a nigga for doing that to my daughter

10. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I have a couple of those cameras. They're not baby monitors, though they could be used for that I suppose. The family probably had no security on their wifi. It just hooks in as a device on your wifi network. Odds are it's a neighbor.

11. JB50

JB50 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    It seems obvious that these morons had no password on the camera, or an obvious one. I have two of these cameras and you have to set up a password and login. I have never been hacked, well Im sure the Govt watches them, but they see everything.

12. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...yeah the news report I saw said 'be sure you have a firewall on your wifi' so maybe this guy didn't have one set up. in spite of that anybody attempting to fuck with innocent children via this invasion of privacy needs 25 years in the cooler to think about it. my son bought a babycam to set up in his babys room but now hes hesitant to do that. this is very creepy, people are fucking sick in the head.