News Texas puts inmate to death for a killing 15 years ago in state's first execution of 2016

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Jan 20, 2016.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    Texas Execution_Swee.jpg

HUNTSVILLE – Richard Allen Masterson, a convicted killer who once encouraged jurors to sentence him to death, was executed here Wednesday for the 2001 strangulation of a professional Houston female impersonator.

As the killers' family and friends watched from a barred witness room, Masterson raised his head and directed a kiss in their direction.

In his final remarks, he said that he was being sent to a "better place."

"I am all right with this," he said. "You have to live and die by the choices we make. I have made mine."

Then, directing remarks to his girlfriend, Renee Gornowicz, whom he met through a pen pal correspondence, he said, "I love you, Renee. I am going to carry your heart and always carry my heart in your heart. I am ready."

As the lethal drug was administered, Masterson emitted snoring-like sounds. Loud wailing came from the room occupied by his witnesses.

Masterson was the first condemned killer executed this year at the Walls Unit death house.

He was declared dead at 6:53 p.m. – 25 minutes after the drug was injected.

Masterson, 42, was condemned for the murder of Darin Honeycutt, 35, whom he had met at a Montrose nightclub.

Masterson was represented by two legal teams, one in Houston, the other in Washington, D.C., who filed a series of petitions on his behalf with the U.S. Supreme Court.

Less than an hour before the execution, Houston lawyer Patrick McCann received word that the court had rejected the appeals. "It's never good news when you get that call from the Supreme Court," he said. "No one will be safer tonight. Nothing will be better. It was a sad waste of life."

Among issues the lawyers had asked the high court to review were the constitutionality of a Texas law that bars disclosure of information concerning the compounding of the state's lethal injection drug and the impact of a judge's failure to tell jurors they could convict Masterson of the lesser charge of felony murder.

Felony murder carries options for a lengthy prison sentence, but not death.

The lawyers also asked the court to consider how the testimony of former assistant Harris County Medical Examiner Dr. Paul Shrode affected the verdict by Masterson's jury. Shrode testified that Honeycutt's death was a homicide, but an independent expert review of the autopsy indicated the man may have died of a heart attack.

None of those claims gained traction with state or federal courts, and, days before the scheduled execution, the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles rejected a clemency petition based on the same arguments.

In an interview two weeks before the execution, Masterson said he "felt pretty good."

"I'm ready to find out the outcome one way or the other," he said, calling his time in the solitary confinement of death row "a living hell." "It's been a long road," he said.

After his Wednesday transfer to a Walls Unit holding cell from Livingston's death row, Masterson seemed unperturbed, said prisons spokesman Jason Clark.

"It seemed to be just another day to him," Clark said.

An hourly log of Masterson's activities indicated he spent much of Wednesday talking with visitors or reading in his bunk.

Masterson's execution was the first of nine scheduled in Texas during the first six months of 2016.

According to court documents, Masterson and Honeycutt met at a Montrose nightclub, then went to Honeycutt's apartment to engage in sex. Trial testimony indicated Masterson strangled Honeycutt and stole his car.

Masterson, though, said Honeycutt died accidentally as the result of sex play that involved applying pressure to the man's throat.

When it became apparent that Honeycutt was in medical distress, Masterson fled.

"With my criminal record, what was I supposed to do?" he said.

Masterson previously had served time for burglaries in Texas and Georgia. After Honeycutt's death, Masterson was arrested in Florida. As he was being returned to Houston by police, he confessed.

Masterson's lawyers argued that the confession came as a result of profound depression their client suffered as a result of withdrawal from addictive drugs.

In earlier court proceedings, judges with the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals noted that Masterson had complicated his lawyers' job by testifying during the punishment phase of his trial that he likely would be violent in prison.

"Future dangerousness" is one of two special questions jurors must answer affirmatively before assessing a death sentence.

When asked by a prosecutor if he felt jurors should sentence him to death, Masterson responded that they would do so if "they're following the law."

While in prison, he petitioned the court to drop his appeals.

Masterson's lawyers contended those actions also came as the result of their client's depression, and noted that he retracted his requests to the court when he was prescribed anti-depressant medication.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...Convicted-Houston-killer-executed-6773138.php

Dirty South likes this.
  2. IfTheyOnlyKnew

IfTheyOnlyKnew VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    They should have saved the cost of supporting him for the past 15 years.

WHTHS and meanredhed like this.
  3. dawg

Reputations:
    He got put to death for strangling a tranny. He went looking for a tranny and the shame of it was too much so he killed him. you are right, they should have executed this garbage years ago.

4. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    How you doin' tonight, Dawg? You ok?

dawg likes this.
  5. LonghornJ

LonghornJ VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    "A professional female impersonator" :wtf:

Really?

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  6. dawg

Reputations:
    Back in the 80's the first time i ever saw a gay person was on montrose BLVD. I was down in Houston and we went for a ride and my buddies took us down there for the weirdness of the place, it was the 80's. No one goes down there looking for normal women.

They had the little Asian huts also, i told my buddies it smells like sex in the air, it literately smelled like ass down there :jj:
    You ever been there?

7. LonghornJ

Reputations:
    I moved to Houston in 2002 and didn't frequent that area except for a few restaurants. Place has definitely blown up though... $750k town houses instead of little Asian huts

8. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    :gross:

WHTHS and dawg like this.
  9. Napoleon V

Napoleon V Swagggggg. ! !!!!!!!! !!!!! Banned User

Reputations:
    why do all these death row guys have girlfriends?

meanredhed and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  10. dawg

Reputations:
    they took me down there because we were drunk and high, we wanted to see the freak show.

We stopped at a Utotem on the edge of montrose for more beer. As we were going in here comes this guy with a bouffant hairdo tight little shorts a sparkly tank top and lighting bolt sunglasses. I knew then i was in for a show.

You have to remember, i am from a ranch town, i had never seen anything like that before :jj:

11. Napoleon V

Napoleon V Swagggggg. ! !!!!!!!! !!!!! Banned User

Reputations:
    did BM really visit your dude ranch?

12. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Lid for every pot or something.

meanredhed and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  13. LonghornJ

Reputations:
    Yeah, I was fresh off of drunkenly running in to this guy on 6th St all the time so most of that stuff didn't phase me... he actually got about 8% if the vote when he ran for mayor :jj:

[​IMG]

14. Wangold

Wangold Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Because the women are attention whores. :secret:

15. meanredhed

meanredhed Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I wish we had the death penalty in Canada.

Doctor Remulak likes this.
  16. dawg

Reputations:
    Yeah something like that, it was 1983 man, back when a lot of Gays were bashed in Houston, many murdered for being Gay.

17. njguy8

njguy8 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

I don't know about anything else, but this guy has dead eyes like I've never seen before.

18. dawg

Reputations:
    I didnt see that, yeah thats some scary shit.

19. LonghornJ

Reputations:
    That shit was crazy in the 70s... you ever hear this story?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Corll

Keyless Chuck likes this.
  20. Penelope

Penelope VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Like a doll's eyes.