News Texas will execute a man even though he murdered no one

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Aug 11, 2016.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    I am rabidly pro death penalty but this one even has me wondering what we are doing.

Screen_Shot_2016-08-10_at_6.50.56_PM.png

A small-town Texan, Danny Wood is quick to tell you he’s not against the death penalty — but he doesn’t think the state should execute his son. After all, Jeff Wood never killed anyone.

Early onJan. 2, 1996, JeffWood sat in a truck outside a Kerrville gas station while his friend Daniel Reneau went inside to steal a safe said to be full from the holiday weekend, according to court documents. When the clerk, Kriss Keeran, didn’t comply or respond to threats, Reneau shot him dead.

Reneau was sentenced to death and executed in 2002. On Aug. 24, Wood’s own execution is scheduled. He was sentenced to death under Texas’ felony murder statute, commonly known as the law of parties, which holds that anyone involved in a crime resulting in death is equally responsible, even if they weren’t directly involved in the actual killing.

Activists and Wood’s lawyers are scrambling to try to stop his execution.

A rally was held at the governor’s mansion last month, and a petition was sent to the Texas Board of Pardon and Paroles askingthe board and Gov. Greg Abbott tocommute Wood’s sentence to life in prison. And a new, 100-page appeal was filed last week in state district court and the state Court of Criminal Appeals requesting a new sentencing hearing.

“I’m not aware of another case in which a person has been executed with as minimal participation and culpability as Jeff,” said Jared Tyler, Wood’s lawyer. “It’s a national first in that regard if the state does actually execute him.”

In the current efforts to keep Wood out of the death chamber, however, the law of parties plays only a small role.

Tyler and Wood’s other lawyers are focusing their appeals on his mental competence and, more recently, testimony from a highly criticized psychiatrist nicknamed “Dr. Death” who predicted in Wood’s sentencing hearing that he would be a future danger in prison.

Wood and Reneau became friends shortlybefore the murder andlived in a trailer within walking distance of the Texaco that was robbed, according to Wood’s latest appeal. The two often visited the store and became friendly with Keeran and the assistant manager, William Bunker.

The four discussed stealing the safe, and Bunker suggested doing it the day after the holiday weekend. He later testified he didn’t take the planning seriously.

Reneau and Wood did, though. And when Keeran made clear that he wouldn’t help them, things got complicated.

According to Nadia Mireles, Wood’s then-girlfriend, Wood told Reneau to leave his gun at home the morning of the murder. She said Reneau put the gun down, but picked it back up when Wood left the room. Her testimony was not included in Wood’s trial, but it was in Reneau’s.

Prosecutors argued Wood knew Reneau would kill Keeran if he didn’t cooperate with the robbery. If true, thatwould make him guilty of capital murder under the law of parties, which states that a person can be charged witha crime he didn’t commit if he “should have anticipated it as a result” of another crime.

In taped interrogations after his arrest, Wood initially “downplayed” his knowledge of Reneau’s plan to kill Keeran, according to a district court opinion. He later said he knew of the plan but was still surprised by the shooting.

“I was hoping [Kriss] would give up the money because he said he would,” Wood said in his interrogation. “We had planned it, but it was a surprise, a surprise that he did shoot him.”

After he heard the shooting, Wood entered the store, and he and Reneau removed the VCR, the security footage and the safe.

Kerr County decided to seek the death penalty for both Reneau and Wood in Keeran’s death — a rare move.

2. Walygatr

Walygatr Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I still don't understand why anyone would murder in Texas. It's ponderous man.

3. Walygatr

Walygatr Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Or kill Kriss Kringle at xmastime.

4. Slow

Slow My name is my name DawgShed News

Reputations:
    Agreed. Having anything to do with putting this guy doesn isnt something id want on my conscience

This is beyond eye for an eye

5. dawg

Reputations:
    Well we executed a retarded guy We will execute anyone for anything, apparently.

Biff DiBiase and Muffler like this.
  6. VeeB

VeeB I have a Full Member VIP

Reputations:
    This is why I am against the death penalty. People getting executed when it is not warranted. Innocent people getting executed.

Put them all in genpop and let the shit sort itself out.

reno, lovetalkradio and Muffler like this.
  7. freds

freds you broke it VIP

Reputations:
    i'm reading between the lines here and i think i speak for dawg in saying NO FORUM MERGE.

Sleep, Shivvy and VeeB like this.
  8. Hand Banana

Hand Banana Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Pro death penalty means you support the right of the state to kill its citizens.

The details are inconsequential - you support their power, and they will use it as they wish.

reno, Pill Queen, Muffler and 2 others like this.
  9. dawg

Reputations:
    I would prefer that the person being executed be guilty of a heinous crime but you are right we cant pick and choose. the most we can do is voice our disgust for cases like this one.

Having said that i do believe that some criminals deserve death.

NyMarkNy and DinnerSocks like this.
  10. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    Good.

About time Texas did something positive, and begin 'thinning their herd' a little bit.

11. Hand Banana

Hand Banana Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I wouldn't disagree, I just can't think of anyone able to do it properly. Especially a system as obviously partial and narcissistic as ours. Or anyone else's for that matter.

Muffler and VeeB like this.
  12. dawg

Reputations:
    Shut up Dave.

SorryBoff likes this.
  13. hidden dragon

hidden dragon the princess of darkness Staff Member

Reputations:

This is pure insanity.

14. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:

Many states have Felony Murder on the books, if you commit a very serious crime and death occurs, the team is going down together. (I'm generalizing)

If two guys do a home invasion and rape and kill your family, but only one guy pulled the trigger, most people would want the second guy to be put down too...it's a serious debate! :fil:

Kilroy, NyMarkNy, DinnerSocks and 5 others like this.
  15. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    "I didn't rape her, I just held her down for the guy who did"

Did he think he went there with a loaded gun to do some target practice?

Maybe he'll learn his lesson. Mmm, mmm?
    [​IMG]

16. dawg

Reputations:
    That is not a good comparison, this guy was sitting outside in a pickup with no clue what was going on inside. In your example the other person walked into the home also.

17. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    Fuck that guy. He was involved in a robbery where a murder occured. He didn't pull the trigger but he helped set the wheels in motion. The person that was killed was innocent......I'll "feel sorry" for them.

If it was up to me I wouldn't choose death for this turd but I don't give a shit that Texas did.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  18. Dirty South

Dirty South Large Member

Reputations:
    Felony murder isn't a joke, especially in Texas.

19. dawg

Reputations:
    Just raising an eyebrow, i wont miss a minutes sleep when they inject him.

20. Dirty South

Dirty South Large Member

Reputations:
    He later said he knew of the plan but was still surprised by the shooting.

GUILTY

RenchFries, RightBastard, Dan and 2 others like this.