St Elmo was at its peak in the 1890s, when it included a telegraph office, court house, jail, general store, town hall, 5 hotels, brothels, saloons, dancing halls, a newspaper office, and a school house. The Denver, South Park and Pacific Railroad line ran through St. Elmo. There were 150 patented mine claims within the area. The majority of the people who lived in St. Elmo worked at the Mary Murphy, Teresa C., The Molly or the Pioneer Mines. The Mary Murphy Mine was the largest and most successful mine in the area. The Mary Murphy Minerecovered over $60,000,000 worth of gold while it was in operation. While the other mines eventually shut down, the Mary Murphy Mine continued to operate until the railroad was abandoned in 1922. Once the mining industry shut down, St. Elmo drastically declined in population. Miners searched elsewhere for gold and silver and the business district in St. Elmo closed down as well. St. Elmo lost its train station in 1922. It’s rumoured that the townspeople caught the last train out. But one family stayed behind: the Starks. They owned a hotel, a shop and the telegraph office. One of them, Annabelle, one of the children is said to have been the last one to leave the town. She lived in St. Elmo until the 1950s until St. Elmo was left, silent, other than the babble of the waters of nearby Chalk Creek. It became yet another American ghost town. Few people continued to live in the town. Postal service was discontinued in 1952 after the death of St. Elmo's postmaster.