"The Artie Lange Show", day 1: addition by subtraction

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by IlluminatiJones, Jan 15, 2013.

1. IlluminatiJones

IlluminatiJones New Member

Reputations:
    What a fantastic show! I gave up on the N&A show a couple months back. The show felt like it was in too much of a samey rut; too much Kriegel and Brian Jones, but mostly, I'd just had it with Nick and his sandy vagina.

But I was still surprised at how good the first Artie show was.

I'm wondering if the first two call-in guests were great because they were great, or because Artie was able to conduct the interviews by himself.........................

:uscratch:

Time will tell.

Roeper was fantastic, and it was a very timely call with all the Golden Globes stuff to goof on.

Trevor Pryce was a good call, too. I'd love to trade Brian Jones for him. Pryce actually said things, and rolled with the punches. Good get by that Stove dude. I hope Pryce becomes a regular caller.

Great call-in by Rod, and two great phony phone-calls! I like how Steve's finally "getting wise" to him, and how Francesca has fucking had it with him! :D

The main thing that was proven with last night's show is that Artie can be the star of a show. He's got an ear for interesting and funny, and he's a great interviewer. He knows where to go with things, and because the show is on such a tight schedule, he immediately goes there.

And to not have that Nick-roadblock in the way is beyond awesome; not only does Artie not have to crowbar in a funny line or interesting question for a guest; he can actually follow up those lines and questions! :up:

I still can't believe I'll never have to hear about that jerkoff's playing days at Maine again. It's like a dream.

It was also great for Artie to be able to freely talk about his time on the Stern show without a butt-hurt Nick going pre-menstrual and derailing any interesting conversation about it.

AND no more of those douchebag "co"-talk show appearances where Artie's riffing and grooving, and old man DiPaolo hikes up his pants, jabs his keys in his hairy ear, and says something grumpy and unfunny.

I didn't mind the Stover dude. He seemed fine. I wouldn't hire him permanently though, just so he doesn't get comfortable and complacent.

It's been said by mpa and somebody else too, I think, but Nick fucked up a really, really easy gig. Artie's self-destructive impulses pale in comparison to Nick's.
    Goodnight, unfunnyman! :gtfo:

All we need is for Artie to stay clean........................enough.

2. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    I can't agree more. People still keep saying things like "Artie wont last more than a few years, what a loser" in the Howard forum, but NICK COULDN'T LAST TWO YEARS WITHOUT DRUGS. But seriously, enough about Rick, let's start giving some love to Brent Stover. He knows his role on the show, chimes in when appropriate, just needs to tone the laugh down a little bit and everything is A-OK. I can't wait, honestly, this is the closest thing to early 2000's Stern that I've heard in awhile, and without gay reality show discussion on top of it.

3. fatstuff

fatstuff New Member

Reputations:
    I think you two hit the nail on the head. Great show!

4. fatstuff

fatstuff New Member

Reputations:
    One thing though - I do think the Trevor Pryce call was only good because of Artie.

5. mpa

mpa Active Member

Reputations:
    The show was fun, there was no waiting for a wet blanket to be thrown over the show, they took more calls in a night than you know who would take in a week. I like the long segments and then take calls for the short ones. It's nice to have Mike and Dan be part of the show without ole man winter snarling at them. It was nice to not have some dumbshit story teased over and over again. In Jan I didn't have to hear about the red sox' triple a utility infielder. I didn't have to hear about the patriots not winning a championship in nearly a decade but they are the greatest football team ever. It's late night, I want to have a drink and laugh and hear dan and mike goofed on and artie tell stories, not base arguing about new york and boston and a bronzed douche bag roll his eyes and try to shoe horn in some reference joke that isn't funny. I was entertained, I didn't hear two people argue about boston, it was great, it was fun.

6. mpa

mpa Active Member

Reputations:
    and you really had to see the show on tv after the uncofmortable Rick got kicked to the curb statement - Artie seemed to actually be enjoying himself.

7. IlluminatiJones

Reputations:
    "old man winter"

"bronzed douche bag"

I almost wish Nick was still on the show so we could use these two gems. :up:

8. IlluminatiJones

Reputations:
    I don't know about that. Pryce seems like a square-deal negro to me. :up:

His call was head and shoulders above any Tony Siragusa appearance, that's for sure.

Pryce was a really good D-lineman back in the day. I hope he calls back and Artie gets another shot at him. It seems like the dude will roll with anything.

But the most important thing to come out of that phone call was: Artie knows what to ask. Nick would have tried to shoehorn his Maine-playing days into the interview, leaving Pryce befuddled and weary, realizing he was dealing with yet another wannabe-athlete looking to coattail himself onto some kind of warped, 3rd-rate glory gravy-train.

Artie got both Pryce and Roeper to hang on through the break. Roeper's done that before, but I still think it speaks to the fact that Artie has the ability to engage people.

And that's a gift.

9. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I really enjoyed the show. It's so much more fun without Rick casting a pall over the proceedings.

10. SIPAWITZ

SIPAWITZ Bialy Whore Banned User

Reputations:
    pretty good first night..if artie can get good guests like last night he will do fine.

i didnt miss nick at all

11. Rodney21a

Rodney21a Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Shit, the people over at the Stern Board have been droned into liking the shit that Howard churns out that their only brainwashed reaction is to talk shit about Artie and this show with complete bull shit responses. I know that this summer there will be absolute zero talk about shitty stand ups, dog acts, and making 5 year old kids cry. I guess the people over there have "evolved" into to not knowing what good radio is anymore. Lemmings.

12. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Sorry but this show won't last six months. Artie ran out of stuff to say by the end of the second hour. He can only drone on with sound effects from what Slick Rick's show sounded like for so long until he has to come up with something new that's funny. Half true stories from his junkie past will dry up quickly. He needed someone with the ability to create new comedy bits like Nick

13. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    I have a hard time believing you were ever a fan of the show, considering Nick hated bits and wanted to do a serious sports show. If he had some up his sleeve, maybe he should have produced them sooner, and his ass wouldn't be fired.

14. IlluminatiJones

Reputations:
    I'm sure your fannery will propel Nick into the superstar stratosphere. :up:

Good luck with that.

15. SIPAWITZ

SIPAWITZ Bialy Whore Banned User

Reputations:
    i wish they would have a guest schedule posted somewhere

16. mattzane227

mattzane227 Active Member

Reputations:
    Is this the only way you can manage to get any attention? Trolling internet boards?

17. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Nick talked all the time about not wanting it to be a serious sports show. Did you ever listen to/watch it before? Supposed to be a blend of sports and comedy and it was.

18. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:

Yes, I'm desperately seeking the attention of retarded Artie fans.

19. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Right, because the hard breaks were a fucking laugh riot, and forcing Artie to go through all of the bullshit picks when he was on a roll with Bochetti or a caller added so much humor. I hope Rick gets to tell all of his new listeners all about it. Bye Rick.

20. mpa

mpa Active Member

Reputations:
    Said one thing, and did another by constantly crow-baring in stupid sports stories that no one cares about.