The Artie Lange Show: Your take on how the show is doing? Mults & Non-Mults Welcomed

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by jessesalazarjr, Mar 6, 2013.

1. jessesalazarjr

jessesalazarjr New Member

Reputations:
    Whats up Bitches?

So I've read a wide variety of opinions in various threads. I thought I start a single thread where the listener can express their views on how the show is doing and where it will ultimately end up. All are welcome!

2. Rawdog

Rawdog Member

Reputations:
    hit and miss for me. sometimes awesome and sometimes awful. Too much Bocchetti lately imo. That's played out for me

3. Gunnar

Gunnar New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Artie is not hitting on all cylinders yet.

They need a good co-host for him to riff off of.

BTW, I do not think there are mults here on Dawg. If someone suspects another of being a mult they should report them to dawg. They seem pretty through in investigating these accusations.

Gunnar,
    Not a Mult, Never have been a mult. Mults be damned!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  4. TakeRicola

TakeRicola New Member

Reputations:
    I love Bocchetti and I don't mind him at all. What i can't stand is Arties "bits" where he plays two recordings over each other. It's horribly unfunny and I fast forward through them every time. It needs to stop now.

5. Gunnar

Reputations:
    right on!

6. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    I'd say about 1/3 of the shows are funny and the rest are boring and feel like Artie is desperate to get the show over with. When Nick was there, the show felt like it had more of a direction, substance, and comedy. Now it feels like Artie shows up, Falato pitches him some terrible ideas to jam into the show, and Artie tries to find a way to fill up time (Voicemails are awful in particular, too much Bocchetti some nights). In closing, show was a lot better with Nick. Two comedians > One Comedian

7. HorseVsPelican

HorseVsPelican Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They still do that?

I think the show is hit or miss too. I don't like the bands or interviews. Directv tries to fill up the show with only interviews. Seems like a lot of boring guests come on.

8. jessesalazarjr

jessesalazarjr New Member

Reputations:
    This is great feedback...so now another question...any predictions on how long the show will last? A few more weeks? A few more months? longer? Will it be renewed? Will Artie walk off or be fired? Will he fall asleep, get really angry, verbally abuse the staff/girls/guest?

9. Gunnar

Reputations:
    Hey i86,

Damn good post!

Thanks.

As for Jess' question: if they get Artie a Nick-like funny guy to play off of the show will rock for years.

I wonder if DirecTV can get Nick back? Doubt it.

If it keeps going the way it has for last 6 weeks, I give it another month.

Artie deserves better. Get him some talent to work off of (and that does not mean Brock Sucker).
    G-

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  10. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Artie's not even trying- those voicemails are the worst. He needs to stop having his "comedian" friends on- they are horribly unfunny & boring. Joe Matarese is such a Debby Downer. Artie needs to stop showing up right before showtime & actually put some prep work into the show & stop relying on Boschetti. Ripping on him for 3 hours got old months ago. And stop with the "British" accent shit- it's dumb. It wouldn't hurt to take more calls too- at least that would require some thought on Artie's part.

11. Gunnar

Reputations:
    Jesse, there are some good postings going on here.

Thanks!

12. HorseVsPelican

HorseVsPelican Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't think they're going by ratings so it'll last as long as Artie's there.

13. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Been listening to many of the old shows and one thing I really miss is how Nick and Artie would really improve each other's game. They were each one of the few who wasn't intimidated by the other and could really bring out the best in each other. I'm not sure if there was some point over the holidays when they could've made a decision to compromise and press forward together with the show, but it would've likely taken some great effort from each (and maybe wasn't up to either). Anyhow, it's a shame. But I appreciate how the show seemed to have more direction and discipline with Nick on board - it may not have always been him, but he was less self-indulgent and seemed to be more aware of the show's pacing and scheduling.

Anyhow, Artie has always been fun to listen to and always will be, but maybe it's just me - I find I'm reach a point of diminishing returns with the Bochetti/Twins chat earlier and earlier, as well as the repeated old stories and addiction talk. There is less and less sports talk, which is fine, there are other sports shows - but the old Nick and Artie show had some really terrific sports segments, some great interviews, which I miss very much.

14. Gunnar

Reputations:
    true that!

15. kev

kev Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Some real good posts here, I agree with pretty much all of it. I've been listening to the old shows during my work commute (10.12.11 is up next), and the difference between now and then is drastic. Amazing that the show was better when it was three guys sitting in a closet putting on a show, versus now where they have a million dollar studio with twenty people there. It is not all Artie's fault, the Directv influence is partially to blame for the state of the show now. But really, it's as if Artie isn't even trying anymore. Relying on Bocchetti for pretty much all the comedy just plain sucks. Mike's a good guy, but he's nowhere near as talented as Artie when it comes to riffing and improvising. And Artie is just not doing that anymore. He has no one in the studio on the same level as him to even have an interesting conversation with. They are all pretty fucking boring. Honestly, I'd rather hear him talk to Dan more since Dan seems to have led an interesting life and might have some good stories. Falato isn't funny at all, but at least we might hear something interesting. The voice mail bits are terrible. I don't mind Artie running bits into the ground if they're funny, but it never was to begin with. It's kind of sad, this is really the only program that I follow religiously (not very much on TV right now that is any good IMO), and the show seems to be in a slow decline. I'm holding out hope that they can get someone in there with Artie permanently that can pick the show up again. There's so much potential.

Oh yeah, Artie should take more calls. When's the last time we've heard from any of the regulars? Mike from Milwaukee, Morgan from Boston, Whit from Utah?, Baroni, there's more I'm forgetting but we haven't heard from any of those guys in awhile.

16. IlluminatiJones

IlluminatiJones New Member

Reputations:
    I think the show has been great since he's been back. :up:

But yeah, the voice-mail bits are lame......................although I was laughing at the first Levy one he played.

There have been a couple of guest misfires as well: the "out" former NFL player again? The CBGB's dude again? :facepalm:

Also, they spent most of the first hour of Tuesday night's show talking about food, with a good portion of that time dedicated to Fluffer, or whatever it's called. :rolleyes:

Aside from that I'm digging the vibe. I like it when the comics come in.............................Rich Vos and Bonnie MacFarlane notwithstanding...........................and the free-form, shooting the proverbial breeze format of the show.

I think one of the main reasons why the show's been so good lately is because of who hasn't been on it: no Brian Jones I don't think, and no Stover.

As with the Nick shit-canning, a lot of times it comes down to addition by subtraction.

Oh, and they should hire Florentine as the permanent co-host. I dig him. :up:

17. Bob Mitchum

Bob Mitchum New Member

Reputations:
    Hit or miss basically sums it up. Way more misses than hits unfortunately.

I'm not a Nick fan at all so I couldn't care less about him leaving, but Artie desperately needs someone to focus him. He's just not host material.

He is good at shooting the shit which makes the interviews the best part.

edit: and I just don't think Boccetti is funny. He's a nice guy, but I've never even chuckled at anything he's involved with.

The show will last until the contract is up or Artie bottoms out whichever comes first. They won't renew it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  18. Kobrakai NYC 3

Kobrakai NYC 3 Active Member

Reputations:
    Hey all. I think the show is exactly half as entertaining without Nick. Not only did he keep things moving, and drive the car......but he printed out all the sports news stories each day and would read them to Artie for a comment. They then would have a guest on each hour to discuss a hot topic. It's no longer a sports show. There is no news. I guess that was the change they decided to make. This week’s shows have stunk on ice. Brock? ZZZZZZZZZ.

19. Markijuano

Markijuano Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    As an original listener and caller until I called in drunk and cursed I can say that it was a way more intelligent show when Nick was on. Even as predictable as his anti West Coast vitriol was he'd rip all things California in an original fashion. Mike and his throwback stories are great but Artie steps all over most. Once the channel gets changed it's so hard to go back. This show had potential and all may not be lost, but it's close.

20. fatstuff

fatstuff New Member

Reputations:
    I think the shows have been a bit up and down, but mostly up, especially the last couple.
    A lot depends on the quality of guests.

Artie needs to prep more for interviews - at least find out what the interviewee is currently doing.

More callers = essential. It seems a bit insular when they go back and forth between each other for too long, so different people to bounce off would be more ideal.