The Beatles vs The Stones: Who held up better?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Quedee, May 31, 2015.

1. Quedee

Quedee Wise Ass Extraordinaire

Reputations:
    If you asked me 20 years ago, I would automatically say the Beatles. Now, I find myself immediately clicking past almost any Beatles song and can always listen to most Rolling Stones songs. For me, the Stones have held up better. Here's two songs that I can always listen to. Who holds up best for you and what is your favorite "held up well" song?

[​IMG]
    Memory Motel

Can't You Hear Me Knocking

2. Jayla

Jayla Ou ai-je l'esprit? Gold

Reputations:
    RS. Beatles are OKAY. Never understood the obsession.

3. Ganggreen87

Ganggreen87 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's the Beattles and it isn't close
    While the Stones are 1B you gotta remember half the albums the Beattles made the musical techniques had never even been invented (concept albums, orchestras, mixing etc). The Beattles invented half the sounds and styles still used today and the music still holds up rock solid.

The stones are a better rock band but in terms of musical contribution, impact and quality it isn't close. There are Beattles albums like Abby Road or the White Album where literally every song is a hit. Not many bands can say that

At the end of the day the sad thing is neither band will ever be outdone because music and artists suck today

4. skunk anansie

skunk anansie Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Stones

I invented that, God and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  5. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    You had to be there....Me....I was too young to really "Get it" But seen the effect that they had on THE WORLD......I saw the transition from the
    "Lovable Mop-Tops" To these guys....And it was remarkable how the world was fixed on their every move....Much more than anything today....
    When their generation dies off....So will the influence they hold to this day.....But I saw and can testify....No band ever, Held the sway the Beatles
    did when they were together............This was transmitted world wide by the Trans-Star satellite......Was a big to-do........

Caffeinated, Margos, check1 and 4 others like this.
  6. Thikken Vaney

Thikken Vaney What's everyone looking at?

Reputations:
    Beatles.

No question

7. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Beatles were more innovative and groundbreaking but the Stones are and always were a better live band.

The old fuckers can still bring it.

From 5/30/15 in C-Bus.

8. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    who held up better? well most of the beatles have decayed into goo by now. as for The Stones, Jagger looks like he decayed past goo and went directly to mummification.

bossofbam and Dorb like this.
  9. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
  10. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    Badfinger

AmishGirl, SouthernListen and bobp like this.
  11. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah they had a few good songs but most of their music was pop junk.

Spanner likes this.
  12. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Beatles were a pop band that young teenage girls would jump up and down and scream for with songs like "I wanna hold your hand".
    They were not inovative at all but were different because they wer British imports.

ScottBaiosPenis and Patron like this.
  13. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    Stones did and do basic blues-influenced bar rock better than anyone. And that holds up well and more consistently.

But Norwegian Wood, Tomorrow Never Knows, She Said, She Said, Day in the Life, Strawberry Fields, etc. were and remain ahead of their time. Sorry, but I Am the Walrus still sounds "out there." Advantage Beatles for departing from four-bar blues.

/thread

14. agnes

agnes Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Beatles were not a pop band during the last third of their run. They changed their musical style quite a bit. The more diversity in their music helps them hold up better than the stones

15. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    For me it's The Rolling Stones but when they hit the 1980s it was like they'd stayed too long at the fair.

The Beatles had a series of remarkable albums -stuff I absolutely love: Beatles For Sale; Rubber Soul; Revolver; Magical Mystery Tour; and The White Album -for me.

But The Stones ...just imagine how much greater December's Children, Between The Buttons, Her Satanic Majesty's Request, & Flowers could have been if they'd been produced by George Martin.

16. Biff DiBiase

Biff DiBiase Philanthropist and accountant at Larry, Inc. POTY Stern Forum Gold

Reputations:
    Recording and sound innovation credits go strictly to George Martin and Geoff Emerick; mostly a very young Geoff Emerick. (Lennon had to have his roadie tune his guitar. He knew nothing about recording;just how to convey what he heard in his head) If you are a Beatles fan, check out Emerick's book "Here, There and Everywhere." Fucking fascinating insight as to what those guys were like in the studio, and how he came up with some of his groundbreaking recording technique. As for who holds up better? I personally only like two Rolling Stone songs. However, mad respect to them for being musical innovators themselves and still going out on tour. I have to go with The Beatles. They were only a recording band for 6-7 years and still inspire people to this day.

17. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Definitely the Stones. At least most of them are still alive.

18. goldtopper

goldtopper Well Known Heterosexual Gold

Reputations:

Exactly.

I haven't purchased any RS albums since Some Girls and am content with all of their catalog up to that.
    Who's held up better? Well, the Stones are still touring with 3/5 of the original members, so I'm saying The Stones.

1Vegasgirl and Senator Rick like this.
  19. vaporizer

vaporizer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I love both bands. The Beatles are #1 for me, however.

The guys in the Beatles were better songwriters. Mick and Keith definitely had their singles game together, but so did John and Paul. The difference is that John and Paul had it from the beginning. Mick and Keith took a bit of time to get rolling and lose the whole Chuck Berry/Muddy Waters/Chess vibe. Not that it was bad, but they had aspiration to be a better sounding originals band - like the Beatles.

Let us not forget that the John and Paul wrote the Stones first big hit - I Wanna Be Your Man.

It also took the Stones a very long time to master the art of making an album. Some folks will say Aftermath is where it kicked in for the them, but by this time (April 66) the Beatles had already released a really great album of all original material (A Hard Day's Night in 1964) and continued to make great albums after that. For me, Beggar's Banquet is where the Stones come into their own as true artists, making an album of music that was fully inspired by all the sounds that influenced them in the States. It's an amazing record and one not to be missed.

The Stones might have had a better stage show in the early days and no one knows if the Beatles would have challenged them in the late 60's/early 70's as one of the best and most amazing live bands around because the Beatles stopped touring in 1966. I do think, though, that the Stones probably would have given them more than a run for their money as a live act, perhaps coming out ahead. The Stones 1972 tour is historic for a reason - and not just all the drugs and pussy.

We have more years of listening to the Stones and maybe that has allowed them to give us plenty of shit (Black and Blue, Dirty Work) to go with the good (1968-1973 and the ability to still do it at a high level in 1994 with Voodoo Lounge). I still think the Beatles take the #1 spot for me.

In the end, who gives a fuck who is better? If both of these bands get you off as they do me, listen to them, appreciate, dig, love, and smoke fat bowls while they are on.

Both bands are fucking spectacular.

20. Rip mcdivvit

Rip mcdivvit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I can see Stern painting a rose to his darling exasperated wife to this beatles pop divel The poor thing.

ScottBaiosPenis and 1Vegasgirl like this.