The beginning of the 'evolution'

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Snort, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Snort

Snort Something witty Gold

Reputations:
    They replayed the segment where Artie and Ralph etc, all went to the Hamptons with Howard for a Tom Petty concert. While talking about it, Howard mentioned a party at Bon Jovi house. And he saw a ton of celebs there. And he said he was nervous because there may have been people there he'd goofed on. This was in '07. The show stayed goid for a couple more years, but it was different. Artie said all the edgy shit.

Is this when it REALLY became obvious that he'd changed? Or was it even earlier?

Sorry not a great thread. I'm bored. Thank you. Go fuck yourself. Peace and love peace and Love.

Rakdar, Joe Bauers, Pooh bear and 3 others like this.
  2. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    The one that screamed out that everything had changed was when Artie and Robin started mocking Tyra Banks and Howard shut it down saying "we don't mess with people that give my wife work", even Robin was taken aback.

3. Snort

Snort Something witty Gold

Reputations:
    Wow I missed that. However.... that's not a very long list.

4. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    he received angry calls from the fans for that comment and always brushed it off. "ah c'mon you're being ridiculous, anything else Robin"

5. vaporizer

vaporizer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The beginning of things being massively different and potentially (which turned into definitely) fucked was - for me - as early as late winter/early spring 2006 when Hamptons Howie came on air and PROUDLY announced that they had so many ideas in the pipeline, things that could be and would be broadcast over the next 3 or 4 YEARS.

When was this ever the case on the show on testicle radio? Sure, they had ideas in the cooker the entire time, but the thing that remained great about the show all through the FM years was its ability to be CURRENT. Then they go over to this platform that Hamptons Howie proclaims is the "best thing ever" and decides that he's not going to put in his best performances ever? Fuck him. It's not the fault of his team or people advising things behind the scenes. It's all him. It's the Howard Stern Show. His name is on the marquee. Deal with it.

Anyway...

This was almost 10 years ago and even in the early part of thinking that this Sirius move was the best thing that had happened for all his listeners. It's been cruise control since then.

6. vaporizer

vaporizer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That's forever his schtick. He pulls that shit with Hanzi all the time and yes, Hanzi has some really fucking retarded rants while on the phone, but the serious and real points that he is making ALSO get on air and Hamptons Howie hears them. The real shit just doesn't get as much credence because Hanzi does act like a fucking moron with all the Illuminati/WWE/"i wanna be an actor" bull shit and that's why Howard can play it up real good with him about Hanzi "being ridiculous". He's not. He's the most genius regular caller right now and Hamptons Howie is fully aware of the REAL shit he is saying (ie the Marci Turk mention dump a couple weeks ago).

Scarlett Ohara, hypo666 and Ashbeard like this.
  7. MobyDick

MobyDick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    First year or so of SIRIUS was really great (2006), so yeah around 2007 is about right. Although the first couple of months were also a bit of a drag because Howard would kill an hour or so daily complaining about "The Tapes".

• A lot of Richard and Sal in-studio bits and phony phone calls when they were still funny and not redundant.
    • Hilarious Fred drops, he wasn't asleep at the wheel.
    • Robin wasn't off-limits yet to goof on.
    • Artie unleashed and uncensored, and he wasn't quite into his "drug saga" that later dragged down the show.
    • The roasts were pretty epic.
    • Gary Garver still keeping up the Stuttering John man-on-the-street interviews.

9 years ago, my memory's fading already, but I do remember laughing a lot, so that's something.

8. MobyDick

MobyDick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There was a better one than that, Artie and Robin started getting caught up on goofing on Ashton Kutcher and how he sucks and his movies sucks and Howard was weirdly being silent during it, and then Howard mentioned something about his movie being good or Aston being a good guy, and Artie and Robin did a collective "What?!?!?!". Then soon in the days/weeks after it started to be revealed that Howard was in the beginning stages of a "friendship" with him and he eventually came on the show.

9. Wiggy

Wiggy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This thread got me wondering, did that cunt Marci Turk kill the Ronnie Block Parties? Seems like asshole Howard went on his tirade to Ronnie about the same time that bitch came on board. Or, was Howard insane with jealously that the peons were making a few extra marbles using his name? Either way, that whole shit show can go fuck off.

10. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:

Howie declaring that obnoxious asshole Banks a "Friend of the Show" just to satisfy the desperate famewhore was a major turning point, humor had to defer to celeb ass-kissing.

BeerCanThick likes this.
  11. TheSurvivingJesusTwin

TheSurvivingJesusTwin Half as ubiquitous

Reputations:
    Shit, I never heard that. That's fucking ridiculous.

12. joyceface

joyceface Queen of Everything VIP

Reputations:
    2006-07 were fun and funny. Howard's just been a huge disaapointment after that. He really should suck it up and admit it. He got tons of dough, so, goo fah him, but if he thinks he puts on a show that people crack up over he's wrong. :(

Homerj123 likes this.
  13. Abner Devereaux

Abner Devereaux Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I hadn't listened to a live show since he left K Rock until last winter. Maybe about 2 years ago I started listening to hour long clips off of youtube.

The one that shocked me most was the Artie vs High Pitch Mike fight. Hearing him say he was uncomfortable with the word "fag" and "homo" was strange after years of having the KKK guy on, WestBoro Baptist Church, the KC Armstrong goofing....

I don't know many people that suddenly "evolve" like that in their late 50s. He was either a fraud the years before leading up to it or he is a fraud now.

I have no respect for him as business man either...

Marci was what, 4 or 5 when Gary was hired? Many on the staff were working when she was still in high school. She has no accomplishments, no qualifications and she was placed in position to rule these people? They can't goof on her???

Anyone would resent that. Anyone that can't recognize how insulting that is to your employees is not deserving of any respect.

Homerj123 likes this.
  14. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Plus, around the time Howard started praising Kutcher's horrible movie "Spread" it was announced that Beth would be appearing on the TV show "True Beauty", which was produced by Kutcher. Anyone who thinks Howard has really "evolved" and sincerely regrets the vicious things he said in the past is extremely gullible. The backpedaling on Kutcher and Tyra Banks was clearly meant to further Beth's career and now he's trying to appeal to the mainstream because he needs new fans to replace the ones who left in droves when he ruined his show and channels.

15. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    When he placed Gary in the protective bubble of rarely if ever being goofed on anymore.

I used to kinda like Gary, but Howard's actions transformed Gary into a know-it-all douche.

16. DinnerSocks

DinnerSocks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Is this the same year as the "Ralph Black Out" incident? Maybe I'm getting the years confused but there was a year where Ralph got shit faced at some Labor Day Hamptons event and pissed 10 feet away from a red carpet they were all about to walk down. Gunky read him the riot act when they got back in the air after the vacation! He went on and on about how Ralph was "embarrassing" HIM and how that's not the way "we act at these things...".

I had HowardTV at the time and at the end of this episode they interviewed Sal about Ralph's behavior and Sal made a great point. He said something like "I'm not the biggest Ralph fan but who fucking cares about what those Hamptons assholes think of us, fuck'em. 10 years ago we would have all pissed on their dumb red carpet and laughed about it on the air the next day...". LOL Sal "gets" the show!

17. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    The show started its slow decline when he hooked up with Beth. It just accelerated at Sirius.

18. TheWakening

TheWakening Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  19. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    94. ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 09/09 **#3**
    The offspring of this permanent A list rock star is back on drugs in a big way and needs rehab again. Jon Bon Jovi’s daughter Stephanie

20. johnfreeman1

johnfreeman1 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fred: "we were at Howards house bowling"
    Howard: "yeah we went out to a bowling alley"

5 second pause