Politics The best explanation of Trump and the current GOP

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Again, my favorite op-ed writer

The GOP would never be the same if Trump wins nomination
    By Michael Goodwin
    February 27, 2016 | 10:22pm

Say this for the dim bulbs of the GOP: They finally made a decision. It is now Marco Rubio or bust.
    While spending months burning through mountains of money for next-to-nothing results, party leaders, candidates and their backers took comfort in the theory that Donald Trump was winning only because the Republican field was so large. With Rubio now designated the favorite son of the anti-Trump crowd, the theory will be tested Tuesday.
    If Trump runs the table or anything close, it’s game over. Not just for Rubio, but also for the party’s entire establishment. Trump is a total disrupter, and the GOP would never be the same.
    The slashing of the long knives that Rubio started last week will continue until the polls close. The baby-faced senator from Florida is on a feverish pace of interviews, rallies and attacks because he has nothing to lose and no time to waste.
    The vitriol is a sharp departure from Rubio’s optimistic demeanor, but in keeping with a campaign that has been historically weird. The starting assumption was that a talented field — 16 candidates at one point — would sort itself out to where three or four survivors would compete for Tuesday’s nearly 600 delegates.
    Nothing went as planned, yet long after Trump stole the spotlight, his opponents and critics continue to misread the mood of actual voters. The people who gave the party John McCain and Mitt Romney still don’t seem to understand what is hitting them. Their biggest mistake is that their contempt for Trump sounds like contempt for his voters.
    Recall that just before the Iowa caucus, the conventional wisdom insisted that Trump’s supporters wouldn’t show up. When he underperformed there, they said all would soon return to normal.
    But a funny thing happened on the way to normal. Trump won the next three states, and his victory margin grew, along with his delegate count. He became such a force that even unaffiliated GOP leaders found themselves boxed in.
    They were certain they would lose the election with Trump as the nominee, and increasingly fearful they would lose without him. Now they are uniting behind Rubio to make their last stand.
    I don’t underestimate the freshman Cuban-American’s political talent, or the enthusiasm generated by the crush of time. But I can’t shake the feeling that Trump, for all his obvious flaws, is tapping more deeply into the American DNA.
    The bombastic New Yorker’s appeal is not about issues, which is why he gets away with providing only declaratory pronouncements. Nor has he built a coalition by making pork-barrel promises and genuflecting before interest groups.
    Rather, Trump’s appeal is about the state of the nation and the world, and the sense that America isn’t just off course, it’s about to go over the cliff.
    To his supporters, Trump is the one person who gets that — and is capable of stopping it. Rubio can punch holes in Trump’ s record, but I’m not sure he can move many voters.
    In a thoughtful letter, reader Edward Sukenick offers a pointed view of the Trump phenomenon. He writes: “Obama has diminished the pride Americans have in the greatness of our country. His apparent conviction that we are not an exceptional country is robbing us of the essence of who we are. Through Trump, people are out to do to Obama what his policies have done to the country — shove it down his throat.”
    Trump, of course, is not running against Obama, but the letter reflects a truth of politics: Each president is a reaction to the previous one. When the country sees the incumbent as a failure, the pendulum swings hard in the opposite direction.
    That’s how we got Obama, the ultimate anti-George W. Bush. And with the nation polarized and the world in chaos, the pendulum is swinging far again; in every conceivable way, Trump is the ultimate anti-Obama.
    That is why, despite the organized opposition and his own limitations, I believe Trump will win the nomination. And he will do it the old-fashioned way: He’ll get the most votes.

2. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i think its wrong

Turtle Man likes this.
  3. Shithead

Reputations:
    What?

Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  4. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I can't tell if trump is an actual phenomenon, or if this entire thing is an elaborate ruse that the democrats thought up to install Hillary.

jrstinkfish, Habsfan, Dorb and 3 others like this.
  5. Gretsch Man

Gretsch Man Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Good article. Not sure I agree with everything the author said, but an interesting read.

6. Glenn from the mailroom

Glenn from the mailroom I work way downstairs.

Reputations:
    He is really rich.

7. MrWarmth

MrWarmth ADORABLE DEPLORABLE Gold

Reputations:
    Suckenick rhymes with.....

:artiejj:

8. Glenn from the mailroom

Glenn from the mailroom I work way downstairs.

Reputations:
    Good at business.

9. scoobyla

Reputations:
    i think clearly cruz is the anti-bam. not trump.
    trump is the anti gop establishment(which includes cruz)

Droog and Turtle Man like this.
  10. Shithead

Reputations:
    But I think people are anti GOP and anti democrat at this point, hence Trump

11. scoobyla

Reputations:
    in a shense,
    i think people are tired of politicians being "anti" either party to play a political game to score political points, as opposed to trying to score points for the country.
    i think people see trump as a guy who doesnt play PC games, and who gets things done.
    trump has proven he can work with anyone successfully

12. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Too many words. It boils down to

1. GOP likes mass immigration, legal or not.
    2. GOP likes globalism and outsourcing jobs
    3. Trump thinks they're both a bad idea for workers and the nation.
    4. Every other candidate, whatever they say, is for #1 and #2. So he is winning by default. They would vote for Charles Manson over the status quo at this point.

13. MilkyDischarge

MilkyDischarge Se suelto el diablo Gold

Reputations:
    So long as it doesn't totally fuck us, a little revolution to shake off the dust seems healthy, even if it takes a few years to rebalance.

MadWoman777 and HowieHasBeen like this.
  14. DinnerSocks

DinnerSocks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Does anyone really believe that 10% of the bullshit Trump says will actually happen if he's elected President? He's a fucking reality star who cares more about his likability and Q-rating than anything else. Plus, Trump's not winning a general election against HRC, bottom line,while Rubio can. We'll have all of you Trump supporters to thank when Hillary is elected and we have 8 more years of her continuing Obama's bullshit policies while supporting Global Warming BS, campus rape culture/war on women, and #blacklivesmatter.

J Perez likes this.
  15. Austinchota

Austinchota Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

16. MobyDick

MobyDick Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Austinchota likes this.
  17. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Poor Cruz never got a mention lol

18. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Clever these darned politicians!

FosterKitten likes this.
  19. ClintDagger

ClintDagger World's #2 Ranked Poster - Exec VP Larry, Inc VIP

Reputations:
    Rubio can't even beat Trump in his own state nor beat two buffoons like Cruz and Trump in a single primary period. People need to GTFO with this Rubio is electable bullshit. The reason Trump is running away with this is because there is nothing but garbage candidates on both sides. Trump is at least interesting, different, and entertaining and that's why he is succeeding.

As far as Hillary she has plenty of electability issues so I don't think Trump or anyone can be counted out against her. I do agree that Trump will have problems delivering on his promises.

20. DinnerSocks

DinnerSocks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You're discounting the fact that once Trump becomes the GOP candidate, the MSM will declare an all out war on him 24/7 while protecting Hillary and carrying her water. Trump will go from being their ratings darling to public enemy #1. In case you haven't noticed, Trump doesn't like it when he's even mildly criticized, like someone else we know. I expect him to have several "embarrassing moments" between the convention and election night 2016 that will severely hurt his chances of being elected.

J Perez likes this.