Entertainment The Big Short

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Muffler, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Muffler

Muffler Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    when the Star Wars binge is over I strongly recommend The Big Short for a clear analysis of the housing bubble that hit so many American in 2007. Say it last night .....2 hours long that flew by....complex explanations of the wheeling and dealings of Wall Street made accessible to laymen. Terrific performances by Steve Carrel, Christian Bale , Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling. Read the New York Times review after seeing it. Also there is a podcast by director writer McKay on "Fresh Air"

"Musky but not pooney " Mr X

2. Dirty South

Dirty South Large Member

Reputations:
    It may be great, but I have zero desire to see it...

I understand the house bubble just fine and don't feel compelled at all to see a movie about the shit heads who basically got away with it.

3. abouttobefired

abouttobefired Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Emense short term returns for people who could not be hurt by the results. Greed is not that hard to explain. I will see it though. I love seeing Christian Bale taking himself so serious. The guy thinks his acting cures cancer.

4. unclefreddy

unclefreddy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I thought it was a great movie. But they always have to add in the bullshit at the end when they guilty on shorting the bankers because they are actually betting the economy will collapse. Spare me the bullshit and morality tale.

5. Jenjim2021

Jenjim2021 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I really liked the movie. Great job by the actors, especially Bale.

6. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    I just watched it today, I am obsessed with understanding the housing crash and it is explained so perfectly in this movie... A must see...he also has a great new podcast (the director, who also did Stepbrothers) called "Surprisingly Awesome" which takes the most inane topics and makes them fascinating...

BrulesRules likes this.
  7. bossofbam

bossofbam Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Great movie with a fantastic cast. I really enjoyed Spotlight and think this is better.

8. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits VIP

Reputations:
    Loved it

9. Bristol Chicken

Bristol Chicken Free Range and Loving It Gold

Reputations:
    I became obsessed with the blog: 'calculatedrisk' after our local real estate prices peaked in 05. Over the next 3-4 years I felt like an insider reading in real time about the daily behind the scenes insanity that was / is our economy. If you have the time and patience read 'Tanta's' ubernerd posts about the whole MBS fiasco. The general public really has no clue how close we were to going over the cliff collectively.

Looking forward to seeing the movie.

10. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    The way it's marketed they're making it seem like the guys were were part of the problem were heroes. They pushed these CDO's on banks if I understand it correctly. I give hollywood about a .7% chance of getting something like this right, so ...pass.

11. Muffler

Muffler Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    These guys saw an opportunity .......they saw value and how to cash in. Much like Mittens Romney saw that he could drive every mom and pop stationary store out of bidness and give us fewer product choices , the glazed over stare of retail wage slaves and a way to put $200 million profits in his IRA legally without paying taxes on it. It's a great country for those who are bright and ambitious.

"Musky but not pooney" Mr X