***The Dawg Saloon Dental Thread ©***

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Bye You!, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

2. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:

plaque is made up of more than food, and it starts to form on our teeth in 20 minutes after complete removal. it's gross. I don't know about dogs.

do you brush your dogs teeth? i think you are supposed to. You should ask BethO the dog expert :idea: and inventor of some dog toothbrush. :crazy2:

3. Dlist

Reputations:
    She would tell me to get a dog psychic...or some such nonsense... I would rather take advice from you
    I will start brushing my dogs teeth..

4. Bye You!

Reputations:

still, it would be a fun tweet.

you do know i was kidding, right?

5. Dlist

Reputations:
    Of course...no one in their right mind would tweet her for any actual advice...:facepalm:

6. Bye You!

Reputations:

:haha:

7. Remley

Remley VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick response, Bye You. Since you mentioned unethical dentists, how in the world does a dentist keep his or her license when they pull out all of a poor kid's teeth and replace their teeth with a mouth full of metal in order to bill Medicaid excessively? Under what circumstances could that ever be justified? I've seen a few stories like this and could not believe it was going on, but apparently it's not that rare.

It's nice to see someone with a specialized area of expertise willing to share practical advice with others. Glad to hear you are feeling better about your work these days. My dentist seems like a pretty decent guy so I consider myself fortunate and having a dental insurance plan helps a lot also.

When I was a young kid (long, long ago), my dentist was an old man who would stick you in the tongue or gums with something sharp if you moved around in the chair too much. Quite the sadist. It's a wonder I didn't develop a phobia of avoiding the dentist.

I seem to recall you were affected by Sandy... were you put out of your office and home? Hope things are getting back to normal for you.

8. Dlist

Reputations:
    So maybe I asked this already and forgot, but what is your opinion on mercury fillings?? I have a mouth full from childhood...remove? or no?
    Also, fluoride in the water? Good for teeth or toxic government scam?....I only drink Poland Springs, but I could be just wasting money.
    Last question, I drink a lot of tea (ok and a good amount of red wine:))...I use a baking soda paste to sometimes get the stains out..am I ruining my enamel??

9. Bye You!

Reputations:
    1- if you do get them removed, make sure you have it done by someone who uses the proper technique. If you are not having mercury toxicity issues or other health issues, it may be OK to leave them.

2- Fluoride does prevent cavities, and i am not convinced it is as harmful as some say. I am, however, taking courses in this over the next few months and may have a more definite opinion.

3- Baking soda is harsh, very abrasive. try white strips.

hope that helps

10. Dlist

Reputations:
    Thx bye you! I will switch to strips and let me know what you find out on fluoridation..

11. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Hello, Bye You! Long time listener, first time caller.

A friend of mine has a small mouth with crowded teeth, and an overbite. She has decided to, at the age of 28, get braces as opposed to a set of Howard Stern urinals. In order to get braces, she will need to have two teeth extracted on the top. Will the orthodontist be doing this, or will her regular dentist be doing the honor? She's gotten opposing answers to this, and her ortho appt isn't for two weeks so she's curious.

Also, once her teeth are pulled, how long until they can do the braces? Like, what's the recovery time?

Thanks In Advance!

12. Bye You!

Reputations:

Orthodontists don't do much of anything. They have their assistants do everything. So she will have to go somewhere else to have the teeth taken out.

If her general dentist like extractions and doesn't mind those, she can have them done there. A lot of GPs don't like taking teeth out, so then she will be referred to an Oral Surgeon.

I LOVE taking teeth out, the harder the better, and i HATE those. I will assume it is the upper first bicuspids she needs out. IF a root breaks, man...what a bitch...IMO, the hardest teeth to take out. I have actually been known to refer those out.

When the braces can go on is hard to answer. I have seen a new trend, which i like, where the brackets are placed on all the teeth already EXCEPT THE TEETH TO BE EXTRACTED. idiot proof dentistry. It's next to impossible to take the wrong tooth out then.

After that, all she needs is the wire, which is no big deal at all.

If is it not done that way, i would say at least a week, if not more, to allow the holes to heal a bit before doing anything in the mouth.

Hope that helped!

oh one more thing. sometimes it's necessary, but i am not a huge fan of ortho extraction cases. Most of the time it's a lazy orthodontist or a patient who wants results very quickly. It can give a narrow mouth appearance when it's all over, which i do not like.

Maybe she would be interested in getting a second opinion.

13. TehLivingDeath

Reputations:
    Yeesh, what an ordeal! She's going to the same ortho I went to (I referred her), and they're pretty top-notch. I've never had a tooth pulled, never had wisdom teeth, so I was totally unhelpful in that regard. But I will definitely forward this info on so she doesn't end up miserable.

I do believe they told her she can expect to be in braces for 2 1/2 years. I was in and out of them in a year, but I went in every week for adjustments. Lots of pain, but it was worth it. Thank God for Advil!!

Sidenote: I thought it would be funny last night to smack my girlfriend in the foot with a broom handle whilst she was wearing Crocs. I thought those would absorb a lot of shock, and I was totally wrong. She responded by howling in pain, and then firing a plastic bottle of Sunkist square at my face. It hit me dead-fucking-on in the nose! She claimed the bottle was "half full", but it felt like I was hit with a brick. So this morning I noticed my front teeth hurt (along with my nose), and remembered that I needed to ask you a dental question!

Also, I'd like to mention we were outside having a bonfire when this occurred, lest people think this was happening inside of our house like a couple of hillbillies you'd see on COPS.

14. Bye You!

Reputations:
    pain is probably from inflammation to the general area. IF she only got you in the nose. Take some motrin or alleve if you can, and give it a few days.

If it doesn't go away, then see a dentist to have an x-ray.

it takes a lot longer to move teeth in adults than it does teens and kids. bone is more calcified. and she HAS to wear a retainer forever!

15. TehLivingDeath

Reputations:
    Yeah, she only got me in the nose. SQUARE in the nose. It hurts to even touch it! And yes, I'm laughing whilst typing this. That's what I get for dating the female version of me, minus the blatant racism and filthy mouth.

Do they do those perma-retainers anymore? IIRC, there's a wire that runs behind the teeth...

16. Bye You!

Reputations:

yep. i highly recommend them.

17. TehLivingDeath

Reputations:
    Advice/opinion forwarded on. Thanks again!

18. TehLivingDeath

Reputations:
    Goddamn! Check out the wisdom teeth on this guy!!

[​IMG]

19. Bye You!

Reputations:
    That is a job for the oral surgeon.

But they definitely should come out before they damage the adjacent teeth. Which they will.

20. TehLivingDeath

Reputations:
    That feller will be on a liquid diet for a few days after that, I'm guessing.