The Day The Music Died

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by Peau de Soie, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    So what happened to the music? Now when they have musicians in they're limited to interview segments. An hour and a half of the Oak Ridge Boys talking?

I know they lost the "Guitar Center" sponsorship, but what prevents them from having the guests play? Was Guitar Center providing all the amps or something?

Or maybe something more ridiculous like exclusive stage naming rights, or plain old RIAA performance i$$ues.

2. Death Smack

Death Smack Active Member

Reputations:
    Not exactly sure what caused the musical guests on the show to disappear but whatever the reason I am happy
    Only good thing about the musical guests was I could hit FF on the DVR and cut the show down by about 35 minutes

3. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    PDS, first you defend Ritchie, now you're lamenting the loss of local bands playing their garbage monotony before being interviewed for half an hour by Artie about how they sound like they were influenced by "The Stones"

What's next? Did you secretly vote "They're Both Great" in the poll??

4. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    But that's the problem -- they still have musicians in, and now we have to hear them TALK.

5. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    I am... secretly Dan Falato. You got me. :)

Nah, I don't want the music back -- but they're still having bands in. It makes no sense.

6. release

release New Member

Reputations:
    I think Guitar Center/Audience has a partnership because of a TV show that airs on Audience Network: Guitar Center Studios. I think the Guitar Center "sponsorship" was just a friendly deal as GC probably thought the viewers/listeners would buy their stuff and the ALS execs thought there would be higher viewership/listenership due to the presence of the bands. I think what became the issue is that they were sending bands out 3+ days a week, gobbling up a full hour of time (2 performances + Interview segment). Not to mention almost all the bands were unknowns and/or horrible.

I think the show, as a whole, is better without the bands. However, when Art puts very little effort in or it is Ritchie/Bocchetti-centric, I wish we had maybe 1 performance a week by someone ALS chooses.

7. kev

kev Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Another performance by the Scathing Tweets would be pretty cool, hell anything other than another interview. Why is this show anti bit?

8. jaceson

jaceson Member

Reputations:
    I agree and I think I mentioned this when the Beach Boy guy came in.. What's the point? Even if they would just do a quick acoustic song then move on..

9. jaceson

jaceson Member

Reputations:
    FYI..out of all the bands that came in. I only have Valley Lodge on my music player. And I only checked them out after because they were funny and entertaining when talking to Artie..

10. Death Smack

Death Smack Active Member

Reputations:
    Hell to be honest after the first few bands I just started to FF through all the music and band interviews so they may have had the greatest bands in the world but since I just hit FF I wouldn't have known it
    But with the track record the earlier bands had I doubt if I missed anything, I can't believe they didn't have an Elvis impersonator on the show and after "Elvi" sang he could have stuffed Mike with 100 Banana and peanut butter sandwiches for entertainment

11. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Hey release, nicely said. Thanks for the insight.

Because bits would require a little work from Artie, duh. :)

12. mnkycum

mnkycum Active Member

Reputations:
    I always wondered why they could have live music but no stand up. I would like to hear SOME of the comedians they have on.

13. release

release New Member

Reputations:
    The audience would be the 6 main guys (A,J,D,S,J,M), James the camera guy and a jib operator. Not particularly conducive to stand-up. And not really the typical size of audience most comics not named Mike Bocchetti are used to.

14. mnkycum

mnkycum Active Member

Reputations:
    Those same people are all that hear the music too.

15. release

release New Member

Reputations:
    Musicians don't take applause breaks.

16. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    I guess you're right, but that makes it all the more important to bring some funny stuff to the interview. And yet they never do.

17. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    I guess good comics don't want to waste their standing up material on such a low-rated show.

They should make these shitty unknown comics do quick sets. It can't be worse than their mind-numbing interviews

Or they could have a small audience sit in for like an open mic night where shitty unknown comics compete with mike to see who can make the audience laugh more (or more realistically, make them laugh at all).

Would like to see another good comic sit in, even if Ritchie has to be there too, for most of the shows (obviously never happen)

Finally, how has there not been a roast of Bocchetti and Ritchie yet???

18. release

release New Member

Reputations:
    Art always talks about the distinction between doing a set and doing panel to the younger comics. You know when comedians appear on regular late-night talk shows and they say funny stuff that gets laughs? Most of the time it is stuff from their stand-up act that they adapt to conversation. Host prompts topic (tries to make it organic) for discussion with an open-ended question, comedian hears topic and knows to execute joke in story format, audience applauds. Host transitions to another topic by asking another open-ended question, etc. For some reason, the talent producer/coordinator (or whatever the person who prepares the guest for the show is called), on ALS does not explain to them that they need to have funny stories prepared. I doubt Art even wants to have such a structured format. "So I heard you had a problem on a flight..." "So what's it like to be in South Africa..." "So what's it like to read the newspaper..."

As far as I know, the twins still do the pre-interview for guests, which is going to be completely frustrating for anyone with a semblance of intelligence to have to deal with a very unfunny, vapid blonde.

One problem is Art doesn't realize this makes that comic very unfunny unless they have a strong improv background. Another problem is Art focuses on "the art of comedy" or the process--PROCESS--or the business aspect. It's hard to mine the business-side of show business for comedy when the comic has only had one manager and one agent and has only done one show (most likely Girl/Guy Code) for the length of their career.

Plus, there's no real natural 5-minute break for someone doing stand-up on the show, unless they plan to do 20, 15 or 10 minute sets. It's difficult enough to have that much good, polished material when you are starting out made even more difficult if you can't read the audience. Everyone in the studio is forced to laugh even if they don't find it funny because if one person doesn't laugh at something in that small studio, it is impossible to not notice. Going back to the difference of hearing musicians on the show vs comics doing a set, do you remember how literally everyone else in the studio applauded and cheered whenever a band was done performing? Art probably hated 90% of the bands they had on and he had to sound like he was at a Springsteen concert. Comics also space out and time their sets with applause breaks which equate to dead-air on Radio and TV. I know this is the only show that purposely has dead-air, but you can always hear Ritchie stifling his child-like laughter.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  19. jaceson

jaceson Member

Reputations:
    Good point. Also separates the men from the boys. I'm amazed by the amount of unfunny comedians! If they are not allowed to do bits they come across as dullards. Off the top of my head the only ones I can remember that were funny.. Jimmy Norton, Colin Quin, Geno Bisconte, ummmmmm.

20. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    And Mike Lawrence, though he may have been squeezing bits in on his own. The Rev. Bob Levy has been surprisingly funny, much better than he ever was on Stern. No one else I can think of.

Hey release, that was an excellent write-up of TALS's problem with comics.