The Day the Show Died--John Salley Co-Hosting Thursday's Show- Listening Thread

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by ltd86, Mar 15, 2013.

1. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    The show (minus the guests) was starting to really pick up and now this atrocity happens. Is anyone brave enough to listen/watch with Salley sitting next to Artie?

2. Doobster

Doobster New Member

Reputations:
    We all know Artie doesn't ever know anything about the guests, and sometimes doesn't even know how to say their names, and I think it makes for awkward tv/radio when the guest(s) realize he doesnt have a clue who they are or anything about them. And I havent read that guy's book or know anything about him, but I always find it lame when people try to act like they were so into drugs and partied and lived a crazy lifestyle...then they turned 15 and turned their life around. When Jon Salley was grilling him about 'what kind of drugs can you do when you're 15?' I couldn't agree more with him. And he started talking about taking ritalin and snorting it. I just think when people say stuff like that, they come across like a deuche just trying to sound cool. Artie used to be a full blown junkie, doin coke and heroin all day long and this guy's trying to relate to him by telling him how he was hardcore into drugs when he was like 14. Lame!

3. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Yeah people playing the "hardcore druggie past" angle are ridiculous. Smoking six blunts in your life and taking some adderall do not qualify as having drug problems. Taking mushrooms once as a teenager isn't cause to write a book.

4. NoddinOff

NoddinOff New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Assuming arties addiction was as bad as he says I even think he mentions it all the time to seem cool as well, hes toned it down lately (some higher up probably said "enough with the heroin talk every other sentence") but he likes to try and one up everyone who mentions drugs and he glorifies drug use to the max even despite saying the opposite. You can tell, as soon as someone mentions drugs arties eyes light up and then we gotta hear more of the same boring heroin stories we've heard a million times.

5. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's becoming clear now that what we're in store for is a show with a minimum amount of preparation. I did like that the guests last night had some attitude and didn't just roll with the 'play it by ear' style the show has adopted.

6. mattzane227

mattzane227 Active Member

Reputations:
    That female comedian is horribly unfunny. I remember seeing her on Last Comic Standing and it was so painful every time she would speak. She's lucky to be on any show at all, she had no business being offended that Artie didn't know who the hell she was. Being a bitch to the radio show host will get her more fans I'm sure.

7. fatstuff

fatstuff New Member

Reputations:
    When Artie was looking at her and trying to remember where he knew her from, I think it was that Last Comic Standing show that he was trying to think of. And Chelsea Lately too of course. For a second there I thought they were going to get into that. It would've been interesting to hear Bocchetti talk then 'cause I guess he would know her from LCS.

8. fatstuff

fatstuff New Member

Reputations:
    Right on.

9. fatstuff

fatstuff New Member

Reputations:
    I think maybe Artie could cut a deal with this Salley guy - "I'll eat this rabbit food you're trying to push on me... and you eat this baconator here". :)

I don't mind him being on the show a lot if they can make jokes out of his healthy living talk. He seems able to take a joke. I do hope he doesn't talk too much though.

I've really enjoyed all the shows this week except for one the other night with the sports phoners.

10. mattzane227

Reputations:
    My god that chick and Chelsea Handler together must be torture. Chelsea's cutting edge humor combined with that chicks horrible cackling laugh at the horrible jokes.

11. Chucky

Chucky Member

Reputations:
    I actually thought Salley was pretty good last night as the co-host. He's not uptight and can roll with the punches. Beats the shit out of "The Stove" even though he was kinda starting to grow on me.

Jon Ritchie was a lot better than I thought too. I'd like for them to settle on somebody soon.

12. mattzane227

Reputations:
    Yeah at least John Salley seems like an actual human being that Artie can carry on a conversation with. With Stover he'll sit there like a stump for an hour then it's always like "I'll tell ya what, call me a knucklehead Johnson, but I feel like the Lakers could still make the playoffs" in his best Seacrest voice. And he acts like he is going to say something prophetic and it's always nothing. Just talk like a real person douchebag.

13. Mike

Mike 'Merica Gold

Reputations:
    I wish they would stop booking guests for bookings sake. I seriously saw these no name guests they promote coming on the show for the night I've never even heard of on their twatter and don't tune in. Would be nice to have a show for once with no guests and let artie just riff

14. fatstuff

fatstuff New Member

Reputations:
    Yeah, she does have a crazy laugh. Makes me wonder about her... On that show you can often see under the table and she's pretty good under the table. :)

I really like a lot of the comedians they have on that show (Dov, Caparulo, Fitzsimmons), but god they have some awful ones too.

15. octex

octex Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Exactly. Stover was white as a ghost during the Fatel interview. What a nerd.

16. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Salley wasn't as bad as I thought. When i made the thread i envisioned nothing but a three hour infomercial about viramax or whatever that shit he tries to push is called. He still comes off thinking he's way too cool though. I think Stover is the best co-host. I know he's not really funny and doesn't add that much to the show, but he seems like a fairly humble guy and knows his role on the show. The contrast between him and Artie in personality and life experience makes for good tv/radio too I think.

17. HorseVsPelican

HorseVsPelican Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Salley was good it's the shitty guest that kill the show.

18. Brew

Brew Member

Reputations:
    John Salley would definitely be my number one pick for co-host, out of all the ones they've had. He brings some energy to the show and he can bust balls. Plus, he seems to be a big fan of Artie's, so he knows how to sit back and let him riff, but also gives him some material. I think he fits in very well.

I liked the little conversation about Nick.

19. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    That Faggot sounded like Richard Lewis and his "champagne alcoholism".

Snorting ritalin. Whoa, living on the edge. Maybe he stood up on the tea cup ride at the amusement part too, maaaaaaaaaaaan.

20. Potamoose

Potamoose New Member

Reputations:
    Kind of surprised more people on this board didn't jump on this. Is this not the first talk about the situation that ends the speculation as to the fired/quit question? Albeit from a 3rd party, but I'd go out on a limb and say John is in a position to be in-the-know. So... he likened it to Nicki Minaj being late for a live show; he joked "has Nick called and asked for his job back yet?" before a DirecTV person shut him down. Though I'd say Artie's response, "Yeah, I talk to him every other day" was probably in humor(?).

In the end, it's probably not some big-time scoop - exactly what went down. I suppose the secrecy creates the anticipation; as if one day they'll be able to release it like the JFK files.