Politics The death of heroes

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by LonghornJ, Mar 17, 2016.

1. LonghornJ

LonghornJ VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    In this especially charged political season I think it might be wise to at least ponder how current events shape a person's perception of current events versus the past experiences that guide us all, or most of us, toward adulthood.

When I was a child the first president of memory was Ronald Reagan... I was born in 1978. I recall him being on tv some times. I recall Tienneman Square and Peter Jennings interrupting my Saturday morning cartoons. I remember thinking what a bummer that was, that Saturday morning cartoons were preempted by the boring "news" on a Saturday morning.

I remember the first shots in the first gulf war on cnn in 1991 when I remarked to my mother now cool those explosions looked on tv. She told me, people are dying there. Didn't quite understand that point, looked like a video game. I was 11 going on 12.

I remember Clinton on Arsenio Hall playing his saxophone, and how cool david letterman looked in his Armani suits on air making fun of the both of them as he transitioned to cbs...

Yada yada... My point being, these are the recollections of a child. Of a person that could only be misinformed because the reality of the world around them had yet to take root and embed the cynicism and mental gymnastics one must embark on to truly put the pieces of this world together into any sort of puzzle that could possibly make sense in an adult brain.

In the effort of keeping this post short, I will leave it to you as a reader to decide a 20/20 hindsight view point on what really happened during these major world events.

Was Reagan a hero or was he just almost senile enough to allow the social security trust fund to be rehypothicated to the hilt? Was the stock boom of the 80s and ever since a direct result of that policy?

The examples go on and on. And on.

My conclusion here is, could you ever still believe in a hero? Even Batman taught us that you either die a hero, or live to be the villain.

So, with the devil we know in the current political climate, who has the best chance now at being a hero?

At this point no one can know how Trump will go down in history. At this point I'm also willing to leverage that risk against the known outcome we've all lived for most of our adult lifetimes.

These are the things I ponder.

Thank you.

Turtle Man, PI Nate and Mr Cachexic like this.
  2. Mr Cachexic

Mr Cachexic Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    i dig it, keep doing threads like this?

3. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    Heroes died as soon as they took her out of the cheerleading outfit.

[​IMG]

4. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Need reassurance about heroes, read Firehouse by David Halberstam.

5. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    I believe in heroes.

The man that takes care of his family and is there for his kids.

The mother that sits up all night taking care of sick kids.

The parents that are there for their kids 24/7

Those people are heroes.

Politicians are not heroes.

6. LonghornJ

Reputations:
    Agreed, but you still have to pass on some kind of values to the next generation.

How do you explain to a child that everything that appears true and right will eventually be proved to be a pile of lies and shit?

I had a professor at SMU direct a class where is point was that America died with Kennedy... obviously in Dallas that holds a lot of weight.

Still, my point was more about absorbing doctrine bullshit to form your own opinion of the world vs being force fed by the media interests and corrupted institutions we didn't recognize were present as kids, vs what we know now?

I'm glad the internet wasn't around when I was a kid... I'm sure parents are glad they were misinformed at the time too.

SalsMasterShake likes this.
  7. dawg

Reputations:
    To me heroes are those that give their lives over to serving others. Mother Teresa for an example was a hero.

But thats my opinion, but i dont think i am far off.

8. dawg

Reputations:
    However, at some point as you get older you figure out that everything you were told was a lie when it comes to politics and how it shapes history. Things like serving others can be seen and believed.

You brought up Regan, reality is he was flawed and full of scandals.

9. jlightningzz

jlightningzz Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

I have a super power that enables me to wake up every day and become a super hero. So do you. But I can only be a hero until 9pm because I am tired from all the heroic deeds throughout the day.

10. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:

Yes, there are still Heroes you can believe in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as politics, if there is ever a guy person elected who breaks up the too big to fails and kills off the super pacs, that person will be a hero.

11. LonghornJ

Reputations:
    So perhaps that base line should put all of this election season posturing in its proper place.

In short, my point is that none of these candidates should be a "hero" to you... you examine each on it's face and decide what their platform could mean to you and what you care about.

Not the empty promises or false posturing of every campaign.

I've never gone in to an election thinking "yeah! That's my guy!"

Unlike what I've seen the past 8 years with blind devotion to Obama and complete cognitive dissonance regarding his false promises.

Trump isn't running against Obama, he's running against 30 years of failure on both sides of the aisle.

Hope and change this time? Probably not, but it could be a start

12. LonghornJ

Reputations:
    Yeah I think I addressed that in the op

13. Mr Cachexic

Reputations:
    can you help me write some campaign speeches? im running for dawgshed president and this is exactly the type of uplifting dialogue i need to get the ball rolling in making the stern forum great again, wall and all!

my campaign slogan is wall and all

dawg likes this.
  14. dawg

Reputations:
    I think you would correct bro. It's like sports, people rooting for their guy. Policy has nothing to with it.

15. dawg

Reputations:
    @LonghornJ

We are the proverbial Frog sitting in cool water atop the stove.

The water is starting to get warm and we think it feels great. Little do we know the water will boil in just a couple of minutes.

Mr Cachexic likes this.
  16. LonghornJ

Reputations:
    I disagree... the water has boiled over the pot and is now steaming on the stove.

It is the "establishment" that has been sitting in the crock thinking middle America was fat happy and oblivious to it for far too long.

HowieHasBeen likes this.
  17. Mr Cachexic

Reputations:
    we are the lobster getting stuck head first into the boiling Cauldron

life is pain

dawg likes this.
  18. LonghornJ

Reputations:
    That noise is just the steam exiting the shell

Mr Cachexic likes this.
  19. dawg

Reputations:
    You may be right. The time we had left was very short, maybe it has expired.

Little by little laws have stripped our freedoms over the years. Small ones here and there so we dont notice. How many freedoms do we have left?

20. Mr Cachexic

Reputations:
    its us screaming as bernie sanders, hillary clinton and donald trump make a sex tape in the middle east to promote the arab spring