the dump button

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by cygnus2112, Aug 27, 2013.

1. cygnus2112

cygnus2112 In The Prep Room

Reputations:
    While listening this week I noticed a lot of bleeping of curses and such (so much for uncensored), but anyway- can someone here explain how a dump button works? I know there is a delay, but how does a DJ know exactly when to perfectly bleep out a curse or something that shouldn't be said on air? How do they time it so only that one word is censored but nothing else?

2. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    I've wondered that myself. I know there's a delay so if something happens they can hit the dump button...Things happen though

[video=youtube;XkGphC5hxuM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkGphC5hxuM&bpctr=1377622567[/video]

3. ryanv1978

ryanv1978 New Member

Reputations:
    I've got my own dump button.

I logged into my sirius account and cancelled that shit dumping Howard Stern.

I've got no use for a radio show that airs two days a week.

4. skylarbrie

skylarbrie VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    there's a natural delay in all satellite assisted broadcast, it varies from 5 to 10 seconds, plus the dump bottin can compress time for a smooth transition in editing

5. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:

The show is put into a delay buffer, much like pausing your tv for 30 seconds and pushing play again. Everything you see is now 30 seconds behind when it really occurs.

When someone says something and the dump button is hit it just erases the last few seconds that were recorded wiping out the bad word and a bunch of other stuff.

IOW if a station is on a 30 second delay and Howard has a 5 second dump, he has to hit the button within 5 seconds of the bad word being used in order to get it in the chunk that will be omitted from the air. And he can do that 6 times till they have to let the delay buffer build back up.

6. Wigward Hairhat

Wigward Hairhat Active Member

Reputations:
    TBH I don't know for sure. I'm sure a sound engineer could give you the correct answer. However In terms of perfectly bleeping a single word or sentence from a live stream, as anyone who's ever played with video or audio editing software is aware you can pretty easily 'visualize' an audio track and isolate a word with just a couple of clicks of the mouse.

I'm sure someone very skilled at it could easily select and wipe a word with a 30 second delay and just a couple of clicks.

Kinda funny how the newscaster is actually apologizing for accidentally showing something newsworthy! They'd probably have happily followed that guy around for an hour with their helicopter as absolutely nothing interesting happens. However as soon as he pops himself in the head that is suddenly unsuitable for public consumption as far as they are concerned.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  7. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    the dump button doesnt bleep words, the words are bleeped because you are listening to edited re-runs of those bits and the tape team was too lazy to go and find the unedited copies to lay them back in to the F-Emmy bits. Scott would take the original tapes and edit in the bleeps to massk cursing. if you would hear those bits as originally broadcast they sounded pretty nonsensical due to the dumps

the dump button is for live broadcast, it builds up a delay by eating silent spots, you can hear after a dump the broadcast will sound choppy as the delay builds back up if someone says fuck they can dump out of the delay and will go to the live broadcast. in howard's case they had several delay units in the airchain, in case successive dumps were needed before the delay could build back up. Also they were split, howard could control one 7 second dump and dead air dave (tom chiusano by proxy) could control i think about 20 seconds total of delays that were chained in series. IF you can find the dead air dave documentary he explains it, they started at 12s i believe and after the FCC crackdowns added more delays

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  8. skylarbrie

skylarbrie VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    that's what i said

9. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i was clarifying the dump didnt insert the "beep" noise

10. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:

actually that's not even close to what you said.