The Falling Man

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Divorce Chicken, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    "In the picture, he departs from this earth like an arrow. Although he has not chosen his fate, he appears to have, in his last instants of life, embraced it. If he were not falling, he might very well be flying. He appears relaxed, hurtling through the air. He appears comfortable in the grip of unimaginable motion. He does not appear intimidated by gravity’s divine suction or by what awaits him. His arms are by his side, only slightly outriggered. His left leg is bent at the knee, almost casually. His white shirt, or jacket, or frock, is billowing free of his black pants. His black high-tops are still on his feet. In all the other pictures, the people who did what he did—who jumped—appear to be struggling against horrific discrepancies of scale. They are made puny by the backdrop of the towers, which loom like colossi, and then by the event itself. Some of them are shirtless; their shoes fly off as they flail and fall; they look confused, as though trying to swim down the side of a mountain. The man in the picture, by contrast, is perfectly vertical, and so is in accord with the lines of the buildings behind him. He splits them, bisects them: Everything to the left of him in the picture is the North Tower; everything to the right, the South. Though oblivious to the geometric balance he has achieved, he is the essential element in the creation of a new flag, a banner composed entirely of steel bars shining in the sun. Some people who look at the picture see stoicism, willpower, a portrait of resignation; others see something else—something discordant and therefore terrible: freedom. There is something almost rebellious in the man’s posture, as though once faced with the inevitability of death, he decided to get on with it; as though he were a missile, a spear, bent on attaining his own end. He is, fifteen seconds past 9:41 A.M. EST, the moment the picture is taken, in the clutches of pure physics, accelerating at a rate of thirty-two feet per second squared. He will soon be traveling at upwards of 150 miles per hour, and he is upside down. In the picture, he is frozen; in his life outside the frame, he drops and keeps dropping until he disappears"
    http://classics.esquire.com/the-falling-man/
    [​IMG]

Metalheavy19 likes this.
  2. greenchiclets

greenchiclets Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So sad.

Ganggreen87 likes this.
  3. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    The jumpers were being covered by the tv cameras during the original coverage. That was edited out of replays for obvious reasons.

Can't imagine having to make that choice.

Metalheavy19 likes this.
  4. Jayla

Jayla Ou ai-je l'esprit? Gold

Reputations:
    Awful.

5. Outoftune

Outoftune Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "In the picture, he departs from this earth like an arrow. Although he has not chosen his fate, he appears to have, in his last instants of life, embraced it. If he were not falling, he might very well be flying. He appears relaxed, hurtling through the air. He appears comfortable in the grip of unimaginable motion. He does not appear intimidated by gravity’s divine suction or by what awaits him. His arms are by his side, only slightly outriggered. His left leg is bent at the knee, almost casually. His white shirt, or jacket, or frock, is billowing free of his black pants. His black high-tops are still on his feet. In all the other pictures, the people who did what he did—who jumped—appear to be struggling against horrific discrepancies of scale."

Appears to be relaxed? Disgusting piece of journalism if you ask me, specially if you consider the other shots that have been taken of this guy that weren't published. They almost make it sound romantic in a sick kind of way. Take a look at these pics and then tell me if the guy appears to be at peace with him falling to his death.

[​IMG]

6. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Falling is an easy way to die.
    I understand that people who fall from great heights leave their body well before they hit the ground.
    People who survived the fall that is.

7. greenchiclets

greenchiclets Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thank you, I was going to blast this dipshit's gay ass poem myself earlier, but I didn't want to disrespect the falling man. But it is disgusting. The falling man felt anything but graceful at the time I'm sure. Sounds like a fag wrote the piece.

8. Outoftune

Reputations:
    I didn't want to be disrespectful either but then i thought about it and i figured it was more disrespectful to this man to portray him as a mystical Peter Pan smoothly floating through the air towards his death as in a fairy tale. This man died a horrible death wich usually only happens in nightmares and his last seconds were everything but calm and smoothly as you can see in the pictures. The asshole who wrote this obviously lives in his or her own fantasy world and isn't doing this man any justice whatsoever.

9. Outoftune

Reputations:
    Thank you @Nemo I expected to get allot of crap for this...

:beer:

10. queerface

queerface Un-engaged Dyke Gold

Reputations:
    I saw a documentary that featured this story...and the truth is this is just one of multiple images; you seem his flailing helplessly in subsequent shots.
    This man plunged to his death.

#outoftune sorry I saw the pics you posted after I posted this.

11. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sad that he didn't hit a SFN mod on the way down

12. Outoftune

Reputations:
    Exactly!!!

I am posting this one here just in case other people want to see it.

queerface and Divorce Chicken like this.
  13. Outoftune

Reputations:
    Don't worry about it @GatGirl69

You probably have other things on your mind than having to pay attention to everything on here.

14. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  15. DogStar69

Reputations:
  16. DogStar69

Reputations:
  17. deevee

deevee Active Member

Reputations:
    The fuck is this?

Gusbuss likes this.
  18. RONNIE THE CLAW

RONNIE THE CLAW Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Norberto Hernandez,

Stinkfist likes this.
  19. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Being born is like falling from a very high cliff facing up.
    You can see where you have been but not where you are going nor when you are going to hit bottom and die.

20. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I have never cared for how the media has sensationalized this as a graceful and valiant death.

Well put.

Outoftune likes this.