The future of satellite radio

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by F U Chelios, Feb 25, 2014.

1. F U Chelios

F U Chelios New Member

Reputations:
    Hey guys! This is my second post. I'm a long time reader, though, and for some reason I expect to get the shit kicked out of me. I probably deserve it. Actually I'm pretty sure I do. Pffff, ... this place is seriously intimidating when you're the new guy, you know? Anyway.

:)

I'm just curious what you think about the future of satellite radio. I think it's a scam. It's way too expensive, especially since their original content is on YouTube just a few hours after it's been broadcast. It's completely beyond me how anybody with an understanding of how the internet works would pay for SIRIUS. Also there are hundreds of internetradio stations you can listen to for free. People have MP3 players or iPhones with their music and personalized playlists, and there are dozens (hundreds?) of free podcast that are funnier, edgier and smarter than anything on Stern or O&A.

SIRIUS is like one of those book clubs, right? People don't cancel their subscribtion out of sheer laziness. I believe, SIRIUS will lose a huge amount of subscribers as soon as Howard quits. Not because those people actually listen to the show, but because it'll be all over the media and that'll be the moment they realize, that they've been paying for something they hardly ever listen to.

What do you guys think? I think satellite radio is as good dead. Oh, and has there ever been a poll how many people on DAWG are still SIRIUS subscribers? Just curious.

(Ooof! That was pretty exciting so far. Let me know, if I should have randomly included a butt-GIF, okay? Okay.)

2. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    Great post. Will read again.

3. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Hi Howard!
    :mad:

4. F U Chelios

F U Chelios New Member

Reputations:
    Okay. I know you're a legend around here, but that seriously doesn't make sense. :) Not at all.

5. ElRexican

ElRexican Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    for radio entertainment it does not... but the technology, it seems, is in place to stream data for other things....

:mexican:

6. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    Never start a post with, "Hi guys, this is my X post."

Also, never start a post with, "Hey, let me tell you a story. I'm going to tell you something here, and I want you to read this carefully. Because I've taken some time to organize my thoughts, and it's important that you read on. The best part of the story will come up eventually, but for now you need to read all of this extra stuff. Sometimes the extra stuff is helpful to set the tone of the post, and in this case that's not important. What is important is that I'm going to tell you something. Not just SOMETHING, but everything. Hold on, there's someone on my phone. Never mind, it was a wrong number. So, back to my story. This is going to rock your core. Things happened here which are difficult to explain on the internet. I could probably post some pictures, but I don't know how. Can someone help me with posting pictures?"

7. Brokenbad

Brokenbad Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You forgot, "I ain't reading all that shit".

8. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    Okay, for a serious reply. . . .

I think satellite radio, or pay radio, as it stands today and going into the future is going to be fine because of one big thing: Easy and consistent access to premium content.

One thing I do not understand are people who get the car-only option for sat-rad. That makes no sense to me. $15 a month for listening only in your car when most cars now have jacks where you can plug in your phone to stream Sirius or anything else? I don't get that. I have a receiver in my truck, a boombox, and a home hookup and that one receiver can go on all of them. I prefer the receiver. I also have an internet acct. linked to my receiver that a buddy uses and we split the annual bill.

Maybe it's because I do the annual and for $30 more add internet and split the entire thing with a friend that makes it worth it to me?

9. sammyr134

sammyr134 Mister Sunshine Banned User

Reputations:
    Brevity is the soul of wit……...

10. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Paid for a lifetime subscription in January of '06. I forget exactly how much it cost, but let's say $500.

That's 97 months ago. 500/97=$5.15/month so, for .17 cents/day, I get satellite.

Seems like a good deal, no? :dontknow:

11. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    That's pretty damned good.

Sirius hates you, BTW. I mean, you bailed them out at that time in a way (not enough, lol) but now you're an urchin clinging to the bottom of their boat.

I looked into it at the time and decided against it. In retrospect, I should have done it given I'm on only my second receiver. I'm rough on stuff like that and figured I'd break more of them.

12. Phantom Lord

Phantom Lord Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I wouldn't underestimate the power of the car market. That is satellite's bread and butter and where the future lies until the cell phone companies and Internet providers get involved. Here is why. When you buy a decent new car right now your radio console is basically one big smart phone. The last car I bought had this CUE system from Cadillac. I can get real time displays of traffic issues and accidents on a map displayed in my car. I can pull up the weather and have a real time radar map showing me a storm approaching that is 30 miles away. I can have sports score updated on my Navigation screen or check the times of movies playing in my area. It is all there for me to use. The only catch is I have to purchase Sirius's Nav/Traffic package.

I know you are going to say that I can get most of this info off of my I-phone. However, when you driving and it is right in front of you it makes it much easier. When most people buy a new car and see all these added features they are likely to suck it up and pay the price for it. This market segment will always help Sirius as long as they are in bed with the car manufacturers. These systems are built specifically for these vehicles.

All of this has nothing to do with music, stations, or content. As long as they continue to find ways to break into different markets they will hang around for a while.

13. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm only on my second receiver as well.

14. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Oh and one more thing: those numbers I posted? They only get lower as time goes on. :yes:

15. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    Ohhhh, I had no idea about the Nav/Traffic thing. . . . man, that is pretty awesome. Is the Sirius sub with the traffic/nav $15 a month that way?

I can see how, for you, and the new car market, this being foundational for Sirius. Hell, I want to say they call folks like me "vestiges" or some such because I'm still on a receiver. For me, I love the content. Terrestrial is tough to listen to with all the commercials on the music stations. I really enjoy the Sirius chans.

But it's the other content that really does it for me. The NFL and political/news stuff and Jay Thomas especially.

16. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    I wish I'd done it, too. Oh well. Like I said, me and a buddy go in on a sub together, he gets internet, I have the receiver, and split the bill annually. It works out.

17. boomer1976

boomer1976 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I've got it free in my truck and never turn it on. I have a 32 GB jump stick loaded with my own music and never have to turn that off. No chance I'm paying for Sirius now that the free period is almost over. Plus you can stream audio from a phone using bluetooth.

18. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    How long is that? :scratch:

19. boomer1976

boomer1976 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    It was 6 months and it ended Feb 19th. Oh well.

20. squigglyline

squigglyline Double Secret Probation Gold

Reputations:
    We had that a couple of years ago on our Lexus GX. The traffic portion was ok ( not great ) but the weather portion was a joke. It was grossly inaccurate and the display was almost useless. It didn't show a storm radar picture like most are familiar with seeing on television and you couldn't tell which direction it was moving in. It would show a county county map and light up each area affected. No idea if you're driving into a storm or away from one. Nice idea with a lot of possibilities but poor execution.