The Guest Problem

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by Peau de Soie, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-250-million-americans-still-need-guests-on,32800/

[h=1]Report: 250 Million Americans Still Need Guests On Their Podcasts This Week[/h] ISSUE 49•24 • Jun 12, 2013

[​IMG]
    WASHINGTON—According to a report out today, 250 million Americans are still scrambling to find someone to appear on their podcasts this week, as the guests they would normally book either just appeared on last week’s episode or are too busy hosting their own shows. “I’ve been trying to book my brother-in-law, who occasionally watches Mad Men and could probably fill some time talking about that, but he just called and said he has to guest-host his buddy’s podcast,†said Robert Healy, host of The TV Robcast and one of the quarter billion podcasters nationwide who cannot secure a guest with whom to engage in 45 minutes of inane banter about politics, food, stand-up comedy, or rock music. “I could run a ‘Best Of Robcast’ special, but I did that last week, and I want to keep it fresh.†The report also stated that no podcasters will consider simply not releasing an episode this week, as not one of them wants to risk losing any of the 14 listeners they have been steadily cultivating for the past year and a half.

2. octex

octex Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That is awesome. Love The Onion.

3. Undercarriage

Undercarriage Active Member

Reputations:
    I've been informed Stover is still available.

4. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
  5. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
  6. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I think being on a podcast is the new jury duty for those in show biz...

7. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hahahhahahhahah....even though pods have gained showbiz strength and clout THAT is a killer post!!!! You gotta turn that shit into a tweet and I'll retweet it immediately

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  8. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Hah hah, that's hilarious. :) I feel famous or something.

\

9. ilovebacon

Reputations:
    lol... you can have it :D

10. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No no no I INSIST YOU tweet it so I can REtweet it! That's too good for someone else to take credit for. I just don't have that Led Zeppelin, Carlos Mencia, Jay Mohr, or Denis Leary gene in me. UNLESS I quote you I guess I could do??

11. ilovebacon

Reputations:
    haha, ok, i tweeted it... you need not be linked to those thieves!

12. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hahhahhahaha and I REwtweeted as well. Twitter STILL confuses me, so I don't know if you can tell or not that I did.

13. ilovebacon

Reputations:
    yep,I can see it :p

14. cwok

cwok Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Love it, that was right on. It knows the podcast scene too well. Myself, I like reoccurring guests on Rogan, Benson, Carolla... the reoccuring guests on Artie...no.

I was hoping this thread was about the lower quality guests on the Artie.
    -Late Night... Not many celebrities are going to want to promote at 10:30 - 11:00... for only about 15mins of actual discussion. Most guests 'on the circuit' are out and about in the mornings... Morning radio, morning TV... Seth Rogan did fucking everything these past few weeks it seemed. (That laugh started to get to me!)
    -NYC... It seems West Coast podcasts get better guests (famous celebrities)
    -Sports show?

PDS u are the MAN! I love your thoroughness

15. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Hey thanks cwok. I've said this before, I think the time zones should work in the show's favor. Why can't they get great west coast phoner or video guests at 8 PM Pacific (11 PM Eastern)? Especially since the production staff is still all out there.

16. onefourthree

onefourthree Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I understand he's been at it for a while, but a couple weeks ago I started listening to WTF, the Marc Maron podcasts. I gather he is considered the gold standard for podcasts. I have to say these are some of the best interviews I've ever heard. I think I like his interviews even better than Terry Gross on Fresh Air, which I have loved for years and years. There is so much garbage out there in the media, that is just unlistenable. Just a waste of energy and time - trash. WTF is really a quality program.

17. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Meh, they're OKAY. I listen to WTF ONLY when I'm interested in the guest. Otherwise it's a borefest. Maron doesn't bring much extra, other than shared history with some of the comics. His preamble rants are nearly insufferably self-involved. Eh. He's better and less pompous than Kevin Pollak though, I'll give him that. As an interviewer he's about on par with Stern, both slightly better than an amateur like Artie. Terry Gross is another level, though scripted.

18. onefourthree

Reputations:
    Well, if you know a better podcast, let me know. He's the best I've heard. I don't know anything about his comedy, but I have watched his tv show which I think is pretty funny. It has a few great laughs each episode.

If you are just looking for laughs, I could understand why you would prefer Artie's show. I love Artie's show too, but it has its limitations with the format and corporate control. Maron can do whatever he wants.

His preamble thing I usually skip through, but it's only a couple minutes, then he gets right to the interview. He's a curious and interested and knowledgeable person. I find him a lot more knowledgeable and worldly and insightful than Stern. I can tell his life experience is far more extensive than Stern's (well, I'll give Howard the fact that he's had kids, he's got that on him).

Howard's great at provoking and playing mind games to bring out a goofy side of the guest, but Maron's better at bringing out the real person and getting them to express themselves freely and thoughtfully about whatever their passion is. And he knows enough (sometimes more than the guest) to truly inspire the thought and conversation. Howard rarely does that sort of thing. Maron's knowledge of music, art, film, etc is pretty strong, much more than Howard, and Artie, and probably Terry Gross (though Terry is probably a lot more knowledgeable than Marc in other areas) which I appreciate.

Like you I started out listening only to guests I was interested in, but after listening to some others I realized that they were all pretty interesting, it was just that I didn't really know anything about them. I think Maron does a pretty good job of finding interesting people to interview.

I realize he has a huge advantage as far as quality goes, as he only does 2 shows a week, a total of about 3 hours, so it's condensed. He can concentrate on finding better more interesting guests, and doing the research and prep necessary to do a better show and interview.

19. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    I don't really agree with you about Maron's breadth of knowledge and experience or his interviewing skills, but not enough to argue about. :)

You sound awfully considered about a podcast you just started 2 weeks ago! You must be tearing through those episodes. Glad you like them. I merely find him adequate as an interviewer, with far too much focus on his navel and his addiction sagas.

As to a better podcast, I think Artie's is better, Penn's is better, Greg Proops's is better, and of course there are things like TWiT for tech people and This American Life and On The Media and Fresh Air et al. for the public radio goodness. I love On The Media.

Norm Macdonald and John Hodgman and Larry Miller are nothing to sneeze at either, and I've heard good things about Bill Burr. Nerdist is okay; I treat it the same guest-dependent way I do WTF. Kevin Pollak's boring arrogance just pisses me off so I really don't listen to his, and I don't find Carolla's show very entertaining.

It's really too bad that Stephen Tobolowsky (Ned? Ryerson?? Bing!) stopped his podcast; he's terrific and it sounds as if he might be right up you're alley.

20. onefourthree

Reputations:
    Sounds like you listen to a lot of podcasts/radio. Thanks for the recommendations. I have checked out a bunch of Norm Macdonald's shows and I do think they're pretty funny. I like Maron better though. I guess I just like the one on one thing better, it seems to get more in depth. It's not a comedy show. I only know Greg Proops from that dating show he used to host, but I always thought he was funny. Artie's show is great when it's good, but when it's bad....you have to admit it's pretty awful. When he's forced into doing things. Maron's I just find more consistently stimulating.

I'll check out those you mentioned. My job is ridiculously boring so I'm always looking for something to keep me awake. My interests lean towards music, film, books, art, entertainment, etc. I listen to a fair amount of my local sports talk too though. Not really into political discussion. They're always so biased according to one of the two political parties. To the point it's insulting.