"The Hardest Part of Fostering Pets: Saying Goodbye"

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Lou Cypher, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Lou Cypher

Lou Cypher New Member VIP

Reputations:
    Hardest Part of Fostering Pets: Saying Goodbye
    LOS ANGELES September 18, 2013 (AP)
    By SUE MANNING Associated Press

You nurse and nurture, live with and love an animal in your home. After a few weeks or months, you turn it over to someone or return it to a shelter. Watching a foster pet leave the nest can be rewarding, but you are probably still going to cry your eyes out.

A foster home is a place where pets get a chance to heal or come of age or learn how to be social. It leaves room at the shelter for another dog or cat. Fostering is hard work and takes time, patience and dedication, but knowing you are raising and training a pet for someone else can be equal parts gratification and heartbreak.

Beth Stern, chairwoman for the North Shore Animal League America foster program, has fostered several litters of cats. She says she can tell you what each one likes to eat, where they like to be rubbed and their favorite toys. She house trains them and keeps meticulous records for adopters.

She and husband, talk show host and "America's Got Talent" judge Howard Stern, had planned to take just one litter.

"My husband and I had a ball. He named every one of them, photographed them and started talking about them on his radio show," Stern said. She shared photos and stories about them on Facebook and Twitter and on North Shore's website. Adoption applications started arriving at North Shore in bunches.

When the day came for the new owners to be notified, and the kittens returned to the shelter to be spayed and neutered, Stern said it "was one of the hardest days of my life."

"I was crying like a baby," she said.

While she said goodbye to six kittens, she ultimately said hello to 10 new ones. The applications keep on coming so Stern said she plans to keep on fostering. And while she and her husband already have four adult cats, she said they'll probably adopt another one — a blind cat at the shelter who will likely be hard to place.

And on Super Bowl Sunday, Stern will promote more cat adoptions on Hallmark Channel's "Kitten Bowl."

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals makes more than 1,000 foster placements a year, said Gail Buchwald, the ASPCA's senior vice president of adoptions.

Fosters are an indispensable component for shelters, but there is a lot of turnover, she said, because of so-called foster failures — people who fall in love with their foster pets and adopt them.

When a foster becomes an adopter, no one minds, Buchwald said, but it does leave shelters on a constant lookout for new fosters.

There is no question that saying goodbye is the most difficult part of fostering, she said, and this list might help encourage people who are considering it:

—Remember you are saving lives. Without foster homes, more animals will have to be euthanized.

—Remember the goal — to help foster pets find loving, forever homes.

—Learn to celebrate successful adoptions.

—Don't feel guilty. Animals are resilient and adaptable.

—Start or join a foster support network.

—Take a break so you don't burn out.

—Cherish the memories.

There is no nationwide data on fosters, but most shelters, even open admission or kill shelters, have some kind of program, and those programs can mean the difference between life and death for animals at the highest risk.

Kittens are the most euthanized animals at the city's shelters in Los Angeles, said Candi Crawford, the outreach manager for Best Friends Animal Society, whose no-kill shelter in Los Angeles has between 100 and 200 kittens in foster care most of the time.

Kittens and puppies under 8-weeks-old are incredibly vulnerable at regular shelters, Crawford said, because they are too young to be sterilized or adopted, there's no staff to feed them or space to house them and they're susceptible to illness.

At the kitten nursery at Best Friend's shelter, there are over 100 being bottle-fed 24 hours a day by volunteers.

"Our goal this year is to save 2,000 kittens from the city's six shelters," Crawford said. "We are at 1,400 now. We couldn't do that without fosters. They are hands-down saving lives."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/hardest-part-fostering-pets-goodbye-20288772

2. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Kittens on Long Island are NOT euthanized!

3. Lou Cypher

Lou Cypher New Member VIP

Reputations:
    Shhhh!!! "...she is from a litter i call 'my death row babies'.. rescued them just one hour before being euthanized. just in time.. and they are so sweet."

4. dadadipshit

dadadipshit Member

Reputations:
    Cats are one of the most invasive species on the planet. Anyone living in a rural area should shoot as many feral cats as they can.

5. Thelma

Thelma Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well, she wormed her way into another one-shot TV appearance. :rolleye:

6. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    haha Beef's uterus is a arid desert

7. Bethstampon

Bethstampon Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I wish my giant Oaf of a boss would be more kind, nurturing and thoughtful about MY feelings like she is towards these retarded kittens. She is so cruel to me and I am a HUMAN. Sigh.

[​IMG]

8. Ashbeard

Ashbeard Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The old couple next door started putting out food after a neighbour moved away and just left there outside cats behind. One was pregrant so there ended up being 9 cats around here. I gave them an ultimatum that if they didn't get rid of most of them I was going to start shooting.

They kept 4 and had them fixed,which I do like as they keep the mice away but the rest had to go. I think the old man just drove them to the next township and let them free. I sure they went to another farm and continued breeding. A lot of barn cats around here are imbred as hell, with missing toes and one eye.

Big problem now because everyones too soft to just cull these imbred litters. My grampa used to put them in a sac and toss it in the pond. Harrible I know, but it has to be done sometimes or they get outta hand quick.

9. ShutupMoron

ShutupMoron Unknown Member VIP

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;QbN0g8-zbdY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbN0g8-zbdY[/video]

10. FCCstandards

FCCstandards Non-Essential Salooner VIP

Reputations:
    —Take a break so you don't burn out.
    I wish she would take her own advice.

11. Ashbeard

Reputations:
    I feel like that girls the one in need of rescuing. I'm sure she has at the very least post traumatic stress. Dawgs should go to the nsal and rescue that poor girl. Once she was free she would regail us with horrible tales of beefus locking her in a cage to scrub shit while Beef and Katie Lee sip wine and laugh at her.

12. eliasbboy

eliasbboy Insert Witty Title Here Staff Member

Reputations:
    ...must...contain...the hatred...

[​IMG]

13. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I have never had to house train a kitten, it's a defensive act to bury it's scent from predators. :facepalm:

14. Ashbeard

Reputations:
    Holy shit, you know those kittens are just shitting and pissing everywhere in the foster wing of Chimney manor. The help must be thrilled

15. Bethstampon

Bethstampon Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    DAGRL - Dawg's Admonished Girl Rescue League, pronounced DAAAAARGHHHHRRRRLLLL! With this as our official Mascot:

[​IMG]

16. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    They should ask Consuela if she thinks "saying goodbye" is the hardest part.

17. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    World is spinning out of control on so many levels, And this cunt worries herself with cats.....Fucking cats.......

18. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "And on Super Bowl Sunday, Stern will promote more cat adoptions on Hallmark Channel's "Kitten Bowl"."

I knew she'd parlay this into another TV appearance. That's what this whole fostering experience and all her "charity" work has been about since the beginning - attention for her. When the adult cat adoption campaign didn't result in enough cutesy photo ops she left them to rot in their cages and switched to kittens. It was never about the animals, all you have to do is look at her horse-face on every page of the NSAL calendar to verify that.

19. Halloween

Halloween Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    More "look at me!" non-charity work. Take Sam Simons advice and ask that wig-wearing scarecrow you married to write a check if you actually want to help.

20. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The only kittens I ever saw euthanized when I volunteered at our local shelter were the ones who were very young (usually 4 weeks or under), had no mother with them, and were clearly sick. I remember one motherless litter that was only 2-3 weeks old and we spent a week bottle feeding them. Unfortunately, one got sick and died and they ended up euthanizing the others because they didn't know what killed the first kitten and they couldn't take a chance of it spreading to others and starting an epidemic. The very young kittens without mothers need constant care and are the ones that need fostering - NOT the ones Beth takes. All of her kittens (except the ones with "Mama Grace") appeared to be at least 6 weeks old, were eating solid food, and didn't need any more care than an adult cat. The "fostering" is just a big publicity stunt.