The Howard Stern Show Legacy.

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by SneakAtoke, Apr 20, 2014.

1. SneakAtoke

SneakAtoke Active Member

Reputations:
    Twenty years from now,how will you remember the show?The many years of absolute entertainment from the past?Or the current disappointing sellout of a show they have now?

2. Hamptons

Hamptons Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    the show now is so masculine

3. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Both.

When I think of my bachelor days I was hanging with my friends, having lunch or a beer after work, and we all cracked up about the latest antics on THSS. I have fond memories.

When I think of hitting my 40s and my wife telling me that Howard wasn't funny anymore, and I cancelled Sirius. Then I found the first NSAL calendar thread on SFN (before the shutdown) and I cracked up. I have fond memories.

4. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The show will be remembered like the way many people remember great sports heroes. They remember all the great moments and memories and tend to forget what happened when their hero got old. They remember the great diving catch, the home run, the speed and grace. Not the old man that couldn't run anymore and was embarrassing himself by trying to stay longer than he should have. Most fans I think will look back fondly but shake their heads at how it faded.

5. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I will think of the show the same way I think of Willie Mays' career - an all-time great that went on too long and became a sad parody of itself. The HSS was once Willie Mays in 1954 (41 HR, 110 RBI, .345, NL MVP); its now Willie Mays as a Met in 1973, an old man falling down in the outfield and hitting .211, nothing more than a memory and a name. Howard should have quit after his contract ran out in 2010. If he had done that, he would have been remembered as a comedy legend who provided us with decades of laughs. But because he didn't, he's going to be remembered as a greedy, self-centered, phony sell-out with an idiot wife, bad chin and dental implants, and a wig.

6. guruhugz

guruhugz Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    the legacy will be that a straight man can really enjoy talking about cock

7. TaTa Toothy

TaTa Toothy New Member

Reputations:
    I'll remember some of the good times, like what an event it was for every Channel 9 show that aired. How my brother and sister and I would sit together (a rarity) staying home on a Saturday night (another rarity) watching it and laughing our asses off.

Unfortunately, i'm, more likely to remember the bitterness I felt on how Stern treated less fortunate people, his talented co-workers (Jackie, Billy, Artie) and especially us fans pissed upon fans as pond scum. I'll also remember how shitty, phony and unlistenable the show became during the Beth years. Three things I NEVER believed would have become a reality during the golden years. That reality has become Howard Stern's sad legacy which I'll probably remember mrs than the good times

8. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    For me, the OJ era was the absolute best.

I was watching live when Peter Jennings was pranked, and I was hooked at "Oh my Lord, this is quite the tenses."

[video=youtube_share;lP8TwjRMdS0]http://youtu.be/lP8TwjRMdS0[/video]

That was a totally farcical call.

9. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    it the show's legacy is discussed, nothing from the last 5 years will be mentioned. because nothings happened, except cock

10. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    It was remarkable groundbreaking radio pioneering during the terrestrial era. And all the more amazing considering the FCC constraints and religious holy roller censorship pressures - or maybe just because of it. Although there were certainly some memorable high points at Sirius, in hindsight, the kings ransom for working and caring less, the lack of ratings oversight to keep his real advertisers happy coupled with the PC reorientation, pumping of his worthless transgendered hobby horse and his self indulgent exploration of homosexuality has certainly tarnished, probably indelibly so, the well-deserved HS cutting-edge terrestrial legacy. And as lamentable as that is, it's appropriate.

11. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The show will be remembered like people remember Abe vigoda. People will live their lives completely absent of Howard. Then, once a year (at first) someone will mention the name "Howard" completely not in context with stern and someone else would say "rember that sellout Howard stern?" To which someone will respond "yeah" before they both chime in in unison with "what a douchebag" and resuming their lives.

Only ly bar gets more respect. Soon, people will forget about him all together. Howard's legacy is that he will have no legacy. He will have ruined any merit he ever had by continuing to make up shit, like that his wife was a supermodel or that he's te kignf all media. Self proclaimed titles are bullshit titles.

12. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Affable conversationalist turned insufferable litigious materialist with an all consuming desire to befriend any celebrity that will give him the time of day.

13. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Not the first, or the last time, we have been had .... :facepalm:

14. chriscodisco

chriscodisco Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Like the NIN video for Hurt. A slowly decaying animal.

15. SneakAtoke

SneakAtoke Active Member

Reputations:
    Over 80 thousand views already?!..WTF?

16. Brokenbad

Brokenbad Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

"Twenty years from now the only thing Howard Stern will be recognized for will be when he loses his final lawsuit with Massengill after they changed the name of their feminine hygiene products to "Stern Bags".

17. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    The prompt was you personally, not society. Society already has moved on.

18. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The legacy of the show will actually be more positive than most of us think or like. You have to remember that to a majority of the world, they only know him as the guy from terrestrial radio. Others than a very small minority, they do not know what he has become. And most of the world still buy his bullshit.

19. Chibbs

Chibbs Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I will remember the glory years at KROCK when Stern actually worked for a living.

The Sirius years have proven him to be a complete sell-out but the worst part is Stern doesn't see
    that he has become EVERYTHING he used to rail against.

20. Yeahnolisten

Yeahnolisten Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Everybody ELSE worked. He just sat back and cashed the checks. Go back and listen to any of the old shows - his contribution was minimal at best and as we have all learned, 95 percent of the "off the cuff" freewheeling radio was anything but - it was all a setup. With the lion's share of the writing provided by Jackie and several other uncredited writers.