The insanity of reality TV!

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by tired, Jul 13, 2013.

1. tired

tired Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    In this country reality tv will be the end of the USA! When ignorant slobs like chumlee (pawn stars) Kim kardashian (spook loving whore) snooki (brain dead pig) Farrah Abraham (ugly skank) are rewarded with huge fortunes while Rome burns there is no hope for America.

I say this because I saw chumlee here in hollywood driving around in a ghost custom rolls Royce! I work day and night, served in Iraq in the Marines And drive around in a 1999 accord. Just ranting I guess. No offense to anyone intended.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  2. Jon Hein is God

Jon Hein is God New Member

Reputations:
    It pains me to say it, but they're exactly what's great about America.

No matter how stupid you are, you can be rich -- if you have an uniqueness about you that results in having a fanbase.

How many other countries would let somebody like JD or Eric the Midget become famous?

3. tired

tired Well-Known Member

Reputations:

But when you have teenage girls wanting to grow up and e just like Kim, then what?

4. Jon Hein is God

Reputations:
    Oh, there will always be somebody "sketchy" that teens look up to. 10 years ago, it was Britney. 25 years ago, it was New Kids. (oh how tame they seem now).

I remember one of my friends in college idolized Britney. She went on to Yale for med school and now teaches/practices at Stanford Medical Center.

I watched Howard Stern when I was 12 and I turned out okay.

5. Jon Hein is God

Reputations:
    Speaking of which, I find this image that Lance Armstrong tweeted disturbing for some reason.

[​IMG]

6. Jon Hein is God

Reputations:
    Since I was born and raised in Hollywood, I should ask: What part did you see Chumlee in?

I could imagine, though, living in Hollywood and being frustrated.

Lots of douchebags out there -- I spent most of my childhood on Melrose, so I saw plenty of them.

7. pontius pilot

pontius pilot #TeahmGandhiStarver VIP

Reputations:
    holy shit. sorry jhig, but there are not face palms big enough for that statement.

[​IMG]

8. njguy8

njguy8 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I absolutely feel your angst!!!!!

A good example I like to use when discussing where money goes in our society... Dennis Rodman made a LOT more per year than President Clinton - and I'm talking about early in his presidency when he turned the economy around and it was booming and no one knew he was getting BJ's in the Oval Office.

A moronic 78 IQ Rebounder was making more money than the most powerful leader in the World..... makes a lot of fucking sense.

We live in a society where someone like Snookie can actually make a living being herself. That pretty much says it all.

9. Jon Hein is God

Reputations:
    It's capitalism, man.

That's how capitalism works.

If somebody finds The Situation worth $5 million, well, so be it.

Let the chips fall where they may.

But I don't want to live in a world where The Situation would be forbidden from pursuing being rich.

Or that Pawn Stars guy. Or whatever.

10. pontius pilot

Reputations:
    presidents should make no more than humble salaries. the position was imagined for established statesmen, not rapacious politicians.

11. pontius pilot

Reputations:
    i'm not in favor of stopping anyone from earning their daily bread. but i certainly don't think that the reality in which you described in your above post is what makes "this country great." there's ~10,000 reasons that would fall well before said position.

12. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    You have a point, so it might be better said that having the freedom to give money to an imbecile like Kim or the Sitch is one of the great things about America...rather than the act of doing it.

13. tired

tired Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    in front of the rainbow. I first thought it was the four seasons rolls Royce then I noticed the custom rims

14. Jon Hein is God

Reputations:
    Your comparing a basketball player to the presidency?

People would be willing to PAY $1 billion to be president. Heck, if Donald Trump was guaranteed the job, he'd surely pay up.

People are not going to be paying $1 billion to be a Chicago Bull.

I find it funny that you complain about Snooki.

Other people (yes, a lot of people on this board) would say the same thing about Howard Stern. That he doesn't deserve millions of dollars.

But Howard is an entertainer, who entertains a large number (or significant number of) people mostly by being himself.

The same goes for Snooki. She's an entertainer who entertains a significant number of people by being herself.

Because of that popularity, Snooki makes a lot of money, as she should.

As Howard should.

It's supply and demand, and once Snooki ceases being popular then she'll stop earning big money. (The Situation once earned $5 million a year, now he's dropped off the face of the earth.)

And Kim Kardashian and Snooki is not a new phenomenon.

From the 1920s to the 1950s to the present, there have been plenty of people with unusual personalities who became famous and rich with their ability to entertain simply by being themselves.

15. pontius pilot

Reputations:
    a man's free to walk backwards and bark at the moon. does that make the u.s. great? i hope not. not to be a dick, but there's many nations on this godforsaken earth that worship and make rich vapid celebs. if that's what you say makes america great, even in part, then this country is more fucked than i thought. not because it's true or false, but because its citizenry list that as one of its attributes. it's not.

16. Teddy Duchamp

Teddy Duchamp Shit Mult Wife

Reputations:

"There is absolutely no humor in the Death of the American Dream."
    -HST

17. Jon Hein is God

Reputations:
    I was watching this documentary recently on Margaret Thatcher that argued that part of what made her great was that she enabled lower class people to move upwards en masse.

Thatcher, the daughter of a grocery shop owner, was generally despised by the "born rich" Tories because she wasn't one of them.

I don't remember the details, but I just remember it pointing out that before Thatcher, people generally were stuck in their class. And they rarely advanced.

That's my point with the Snookis of the world.

In America, most of us have the opportunity to move up in the world.

Even stupid people can become rich and famous.

I don't think that can happen in many other countries.

If you want to watch the documentary, here it is:

[video=youtube;g9mCm7ufas0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9mCm7ufas0[/video]

18. pontius pilot

Reputations:
    i grew up in thatcher's london. she certainly did not grow up working class, nor did she help the working class. and then labour came along and made them the welfare class. furthermore, those living above their station led to, in part, the mortgage crisis both here and in the u.k.

and please do not not try to tie in the snooki's of this world with america's centuries old tradition of social agency. it's apples and oranges my friend, apples and oranges.

but thank you, i will certainly check it out the vid. :hat:

19. tired

tired Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The point isn't wether morons should be afforded the ability to become rich. Of course they have every right to make as much as they can. My point is the fact that a society that rewards stupidity and bad behavior with such riches and fame is ultimately doomed.

20. Jon Hein is God

Reputations:
    Here's what I'm trying to say (sorry if I'm repeating myself:

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

We may view Snooki and Kim K as pieces of shit, but for a lot of people, gossiping about them and watching their shows is a way of easing the burden of their boring lives.

A lot of people view Howard Stern as a piece of shit and wonder why somebody like him could even make $100 million a year, yet for us (even those of us who are jaded) gossiping about Howard and listening to the show is a way of easing the stresses of our regular lives.

A lot of people think NFL players don't deserve all that money, especially when teachers are being laid off.

But, again, a lot of people follow the NFL to alleviate the boredom of regular life. And so all that interest generates a lot of money.

Snooki and Kim K aren't in a vacuum. Their popularity generates a lot of money and jobs for other people, so they deserve a piece of the pie.

Their money is well-deserved because they have the rare ability to keep people entertained -- even if they don't have talent.