Shop Now At Amazon

The John Malone appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Beth143nacho, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Mister Malone... We speak your name! Bring us to the promised land!

2. Sponsor

Sponsor

Reputations:

Shop Now At Nordstrom
  3. srricks

srricks Member

Reputations:
    What is your vision of "The Promised Land"?

4. TelegramSam

TelegramSam Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No offense, but I think he plans to run the company into the ground as a tax write off and use the satellites for something else, so I'm not ready to call him a good guy just yet (I still have a working Starmate with a lifetime sub, damnit!).

5. srricks

srricks Member

Reputations:
    You're one of those "lifetime subs"? Well I got some magic beans I'll sale you!:D

6. Rob0729

Rob0729 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Actually, I have heard multiple things about his plans from going against Karmazin's designs and realizing that the Internet is where they industry is heading and working towards making SiriusXM an Internet entity like Pandora (Karmazin was convinced that staying satellite based is the way to go which in 5-10 years will likely be obsolete) to trying to quickly make SiriusXM profitable and spin it off and sell it. I am not so sure he is he is writing it off just yet.

7. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What exactly has Malone done so far to earn your faith?

8. srricks

srricks Member

Reputations:
    But can any one man save the sinking ship that is SiriusXM?! :dontknow:

9. Quite Frankly

Quite Frankly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Will...kill...Stern
    [​IMG]
    .....Feb 2013 or thereabouts.....
    [​IMG]

10. Rob0729

Rob0729 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Most people on "The Street" feel he can't. I think Internet radio will be in cars within 5 years or less and that will be the killer for SiriusXM.

11. harlock

harlock ancora imparo Gold

Reputations:
    I want him to humboe Wiggy first.

12. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I am grandfathered into a $0.99/mo full access contract with Sirius, so I'd like foremost to see the company succeed. Next, I'd like for Malone to put a stop to the inside shenanigans that Howard and Mel used to bilk the company out of millions of dollars. Finally, I'd like Malone to put Howard in his place. Buy out Howard's contractor the condition that Howard is silenced for the rest of its duration, cancel h101 and give it to someone that'll use it. Boot Howard from studio 69 and hand it over to o&a (they're clearly the new Sirius banner men).

Id love it if Malone fucked with Howard, but am not banking on it. Who knows, though, maybe he'll gag Howard about mentioning agt and the lawsuit like Howard gagged others into not mentioning his name.

13. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Working Out My Demons VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Sirius XM CEO Mel Karmazin: ' I’m One of the Most Underpaid Executives' in History

Karmazin was granted 120,000,000 stock options at $.43 per share in 2009

The stock closed at $3.10 on Friday.

120,000,000 * $2.67 = $320,400,000

Yes, Karmazin has taken home $300,000,000 by "running" SiriusXM (nearly into the ground).

When is it enough for these losers? Howard and Mel have taken home the better part of a billion dollars and they keep crying poverty.

14. MyLazyHand

Reputations:
    John Malone is the largest private landowner in the United States

No. 1 John Malone

2,200,000 acres

Britain’s Daily Mail was flabbergasted — and rightly so. The amount of acreage owned by Liberty Media’s Chairman John Malone is beyond the comprehension of city slickers, suburban dwellers, and even plain country folk. As the Mail put it, the 71-year-old’s holdings are “just under the size of the Middle Eastern country Jordan and just over the size of Serbia. That means the total sum of Mr. Malone’s land is nearly three Rhode Islands. Or two Delawares. It is the size of 151 Manhattan islands. It’s a lot of land.”

Most of the ink devoted to this Connecticut native follows the developments at Liberty, which Malone has shepherded from its infancy as a minor spin-off of Tele-Communications Inc. (TCI) in 1991 to a major media holding company whose wide-ranging interests include the Atlanta Braves and Starz.

Malone’s track record as a landowner has followed a similar arc. Over the last two decades, it too has ascended sharply. Out west, Malone’s Silver Spur Ranches are headquartered in Encampment, Wyoming. The ranches themselves are in Wyoming, Nebraska, Colorado, and New Mexico. The most famous is the Bell Ranch, a 290,100-acre cattle kingdom whose roots go back to the 1824 Montoya Land Grant. Malone acquired The Bell from Chicago’s Lane family in 2010.

In 2011, he acquired 1 million acres in Maine and New Hampshire from GMO Renewables. His timing was spot-on. Thanks to an anemic housing market, timberland prices were in a trough. Now that the U.S. housing market is showing signs of life, there’s no telling how much these holdings have appreciated.

15. MyLazyHand

Reputations:
    I'm sitting here thinking about the implications of one US citizen owning enough land to comprise two or three states. And he's not finished acquiring land.

That's a lot of power.

If he skips paying his property tax, we're all in trouble.

16. ohmicah

ohmicah Real Gad About Town VIP

Reputations:
    You'll have to be more specific. Malone owns a lot of "promised land".
    The media billionaire John Malone now owns 2.2 million acres, putting him ahead of his pal Ted Turner as the nation's No. 1 landlord.

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2012/09/27/john-malone-billionaire-landowner/

Edit: Sorry, didn't see this was already posted.

17. srricks

srricks Member

Reputations:
    Omg, if Malone took out a gag order on Howard for mentioning AGT I'd die :cheer:

18. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    i was thinking the exact same thing. what is his end game? to preserve the land and keep it in it's natural state? to make it the country of malonia with it's own private army? sell it off to commercial interests?
    i don't care one way or the other. if he's starting his own entity, i want to move there.....it's probably quite beautiful and will be fortress safe.

19. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    i don't see what the difference is. there's a contract in place. why does anyone think he wants to change anything

20. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    probably just investment.

21. MyLazyHand

Reputations:
    Bump for Fred.

He's using this thread.