News The Life and Death of an Amazon Warehouse Temp

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Oct 21, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    To understand this story you have to read the entire article. It's just too long, i will post some from the beginning and middle.

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/life-and-death-amazon-temp/

On Jan. 18, 2013, as the sun went down, Jeff Lockhart Jr. got ready for work. He slipped a T-shirt over his burly frame and hung his white work badge over his broad chest. His wife, Di-Key, was in the bathroom fixing her hair in micro-braids and preparing for another evening alone with her three sons. Jeff had been putting in long hours lately, and so the couple planned a breakfast date at Shoney’s for when his shift ended around dawn. “You better have your hair done by then,” he teased her.

As he headed out the door, Jeff, who was 29, said goodbye to the boys. He told Jeffrey, the most rambunctious, not to give his mom a hard time; Kelton, the oldest, handed his father his iPod for the ride. Then Jeff climbed into his Chevy Suburban, cranked the bass on the stereo system he’d customized himself, and headed for the Amazon fulfillment center in nearby Chester, Virginia, just south of Richmond.

When the warehouse opened its doors in 2012, there were about 37,000 unemployed people living within a 30-minute drive; in nearby Richmond, more than a quarter of residents were living in poverty. The warehouse only provided positions for a fraction of the local jobless: It currently has around 3,000 full-time workers. But it also enlists hundreds, possibly thousands, of temporary workers to fill orders during the holiday shopping frenzy, known in Amazon parlance as “peak.” Since full-timers and temps perform the same duties, the only way to tell them apart is their badges. Full-time workers wear blue. Temps wear white.

That meant Jeff wore white. He’d started working at the warehouse in November 2012, not long after it opened. It was the first job he’d been able to find in months, ever since he’d been laid off from his last steady gig at a building supply store. By January, peak season had come and gone, and hundreds of Jeff’s fellow temps had been let go. But he was still there, two months after he'd started, wearing his white badge. What he wanted was to earn a blue one.

5627267a1400002a00c7a6c8.jpeg

Whoever found Jeff on the third floor apparently alerted Amcare, Amazon's in-house medical team, which is staffed with EMTs and other medical personnel. In the event of a health issue, Amazon instructs workers to notify security before calling emergency services. An employee brochure from a facility in Tennessee, obtained through a public records request, reads: “In the event of a medical emergency, contact Security. Do Not call 911! Tell Security the nature of the medical emergency and location. Security and/or Amcare will provide emergency response."

The Amcare employee found that Jeff had “a rapid heartbeat but limited respirations,” according to a confidential Amazon report obtained through a public records request. He began performing CPR and put Jeff on an electronic defibrillator, a device that can save a life during cardiac events when deployed quickly. Someone called 911, and county EMTs rushed Jeff to John Randolph Medical Center. Di-Key got a call from Integrity telling her Jeff had been taken to the hospital, where she was met by a manager. At 4:06 a.m., Jeff was pronounced dead. “They came in four or five doctors deep and told me that he's gone and there’s nothing they can do,” says Di-Key. Aside from a brief obituary, Jeff’s death never made the local papers. I learned about it through public records requests for safety investigations of Amazon facilities.

2 The audio file of the 911 call was erased a few months later, per department protocol.

It isn't clear from any of the official reports on Jeff’s death—Amazon's, the county's or the state's—how quickly Jeff was found and treated. The Amazon report says that he was discovered at “approximately 2:30 a.m., which is within one minute of his last reported pick.” Yet according to a county EMS report, the 911 call came in at 2:39 a.m., suggesting he may have been down for several minutes before he was found.

The state's medical examiner pinned the death on “cardiac dysrhythmia,” commonly known as an irregular heartbeat. Di-Key and Jeff's father say they were not aware that Jeff had a potential heart problem, and don’t know whether he knew of any, either. The examiner found no prior documentation of an irregular heartbeat, although there was a "verbal report" of one during a physical Jeff received at a previous job, according to the autopsy.

I asked Theodore Abraham, a cardiologist who directs the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Center of Excellence at Johns Hopkins, to review Jeff’s autopsy. Abraham said that the report doesn’t contain enough information to conclusively explain Jeff’s death. There is no evidence his size was a factor (though the examination shows that he had an unusually large heart). But it’s also impossible to know for sure whether the fast-paced nature of Jeff’s work contributed to his collapse. However, Abraham observed, the autopsy doesn’t suggest that Jeff died of an ordinary heart attack. If he was exerting himself when he collapsed, Abraham added, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy would be “high on the list" of possible causes. This condition, known to sometimes kill young athletes in the middle of competition, causes the heart to beat out of rhythm, frequently during strenuous activity. The disease is often genetic and is the leading cause of sudden cardiac death in people under 30. Still, even if Jeff did suffer from the condition, he could have died from it at any time.

2. Scarlett Ohara

Scarlett Ohara VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    3 young children, that is awful.

On a long drive home last year there was an interesting radio program on Amazon. I am a fan but what a terrible company to work for! They time bathroom breaks and treat the employees like shit. There is a rush to get merchandise out and employees were often penalized if a certain amount is not shipped.

3. DiamondGoddess

DiamondGoddess Born Ready for My Close-Up! Gold

Reputations:
    And when guys would die on the line at the Ford factory back in the day, another worker would step over them to fill the place.

Quelle surprise.

4. Quality Control

Quality Control dove Gold

Reputations:
    Who looks at a precious, newborn baby and says, "I christen thee Di-Key."

5. suckemnuckledus

suckemnuckledus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    cg256 and SouthernListen like this.
  6. MrWarmth

MrWarmth ADORABLE DEPLORABLE Gold

Reputations:
    It'd be funny if Di-Key became a dentist.

7. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    something tells me only the 3rd kid was his...call it a hunch.

8. Bye You!

Reputations:
    :uscratch:

9. Jewlican

Jewlican Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Damn, wrong thread. Thought this was about the life and death of an Amazon whorehouse tramp. I'll just be going now.

AmishGirl and ScottBaiosPenis like this.
  10. Boomer

Boomer Who is your daddy and what does he do?

Reputations:
  11. AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    On a positive note, the three $6.99 Steven Seagal blu-rays he was clutching in his hands were still shipped out in a timely manner, where to this day they remain unwatched on a shelf in some dudes basement.

12. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Everybody's looking at different spots in the family picture :dontknow:

I love the little boy in the blue sweater... he's just posin' like a boss.

Icey, John Coktoaston, Zelda and 14 others like this.
  13. JessOnCrack

JessOnCrack Check out my maniacal laugh! Banned User

Reputations:
    Looks like Di-Beet

Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  14. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    "nothing good ever comes from..."

Fawkesguy and ScottBaiosPenis like this.
  15. Bye You!

Reputations:
    he;s absolutely adorable.

the other one looks like he has entered perphood already.

16. dancearmstrong

dancearmstrong Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I like getting my packages fast just as much as the next guy, but sometimes I get packages less than 12 hours after ordering from them. I feel bad for those folks who have to drive themselves crazy trying to hit those types of goals. I don't need my packages that fast...

17. Scarlett Ohara

Scarlett Ohara VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I feel the same way. I would feel better knowing they were better employers.

18. propagandhi

propagandhi Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    In my town they have a new fulfillment center, ALWAYS hiring. Posting on print, inyerwebs, and tv. In in a shitty suburb for low pay

FosterKitten and Scarlett Ohara like this.
  19. Bye You!

Reputations:
    so many people here say that. how is that even possible?? i can't wrap my head around it.

20. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    xmpic.png

I figured out cropping :cheer:

Icey, John Coktoaston, Zelda and 9 others like this.