'The Master'

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by IHateHoward2, Sep 19, 2012.

1. IHateHoward2

IHateHoward2 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Getting good reviews, trailer looks good, seems to be flying under the radar buzz-wise. Any one going to see it?

I'm just hoping they'll let us know once and for all whether we are indeed all bodies inhabited by martians. People have the right to know! (it's supposed to be based on Scientology's founder, dear leader L Ron Hubbard)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  2. imgod700

imgod700 New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Loved there will be blood. Love the fact the guitar player from Radiohead does the music love PSH and that joaquin Phoenix. Can't wait

3. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    I heard that the performances are amazing - Joaquin Phoenix and Phillip Seymour Hoffman in particular - but that it is not one of Anderson's strongest movies. I'll definitely see it though!! Here is something I read:
    As you know The Master was inspired by L Ron Hubbard and Scientology, of particular interest in light of recent events. This being a Paul Thomas Anderson feature however it appears that we’ll be getting more than just a scandalised account of how a science fiction writer might rise to lead a cult prone to nefarious measures both to mute its opposition while subduing its following. Rather, at least as suggested in this trailer, Anderson explores why we might be drawn to those characters and to that kind of community. All of us, bitter by disappointment, betrayed by false opportunity, and ultimately always searching for a cure for loneliness are attracted to Home. The question is whether or not every vulnerable person who has been lured is another person we have all collectively failed. Joaquin Phoenix’s representation of that particular problem seems to be the centrepiece here. If this glimpse at his performance is any indication, it’s an awesome showcase of his talent.

Anderson also doesn’t seem to be taking an easy derivative route with Philip Seymour Hoffman. It’s much more complicated when their conviction is authentic and legitimate, non? We recognise the vicious authoritarians who rule from fear and greed. It’s the ones who are purely intended, as PTA suggests here, that we can’t conveniently explain away.

http://laineygossip.com/Articles/Ce...-The-Master-is-a-showcase-for-Joaquin-Phoenix

4. One Fat Vegan

One Fat Vegan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  5. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    It's not flying under the radar at all. It's already getting Oscar buzz.

6. IHateHoward2

IHateHoward2 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    yea, i guess i meant it more in the way we're not getting it rammed down our throats. I meant it in a good way. PTA & that cast & the subject matter seem can't miss.

7. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    <3 pta

8. Atomic Wedgie

Atomic Wedgie Crash Victim

Reputations:
    I'm gunna see it.

9. BethsZygote

BethsZygote In Utero VIP

Reputations:
  10. Scarlett Ohara

Scarlett Ohara VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Will definitely see it.

There is an article in Vanity Fair this month about the search for a girlfriend or wife for Tom Cruise. Unbelievable story.

11. Nibbler

Nibbler heaven is in your mind Gold

Reputations:
    I'm looking forward to this film.

12. flailingfish

flailingfish New Member

Reputations:
    it's flying with gadar

13. fletchman71

fletchman71 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I am definitely going to see it but nothing can top Boogie Nights. I was not a big fan of There Will Be Blood either. That just seemed like a vehicle for Daniel Day Lewis to overact.

14. whatsit

whatsit Dawg Lover VIP

Reputations:
    I am excited about it.

15. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    Looks sick. Getting kick ass reviews. And is getting major Oscar buzz. I can't wait to go see it . . .

16. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [IPSPOILER][/IPSPOILER]
    ...actually it's not. I read about it winning a top award at a pre release film society event and sph always turns in a great performance. He's a vey good actor.

...oh damn I misread your post. It's still real to me dammit!

17. Mlaw

Reputations:
    gotcha---It's hard to market movies when 90% of TV and radio airtime is being bought up by politicians and PAC's :jj:

18. Mlaw

Reputations:
    The Ben Affleck flick is getting great buzz too--Argo

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  19. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    We'd intended to see this movie earlier this week but I was at my in-law's and they wanted us to accompany them to dinner.
    There was an IMAX theater not 10 minutes away from my in-law's pad that had it.
    If I see it before it's released on DVD I'll have to settle for a regular theater screen. No IMAX screens this far up river.:mad:

20. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Phoenix is such a great actor. If he wasn't a flake and slightly crazy he could be turning out some real quality work. He will probably start getting tons of offers again and then he will go back into hibernation. I don't think these actors realize that eventually you end up like Edward Norton. A terrific actor who stopped getting jobs because he was such an asshole to work with. Norton didn't have a movie for two years between 2010-2012. He should be as prolific as Hackman, DeNiro, Pacino in his prime years.