The Move to Sirius Announced 11 Years Ago Today - 10/6/04

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by ArtiesGayLover, Oct 6, 2015.

1. ArtiesGayLover

ArtiesGayLover New Member

Reputations:
    I remember exactly where I was when Howard made the announcement of the move to Sirius. He had been kicked off of Clear Channel stations a few months before, and Tom kept pushing "the button". Bush was about to get re-elected, and it really looked dark in America.

But Howard, the one man on the radio that made me laugh on the one show I felt was real, made an announcement that we'd all be going to a place where there was "No More Bullshit". He announced there would eventually be 3 channels under his control at Sirius, and we would all be amazed by what those channels contained.

I'm a superfan. I love Howard and his show, even as the show has gone through several rounds of sanitation and elimination of much of what made it so amazing in the first few years at Sirius. His show got me through some really tough years. He, along with Artie and the incredible dialogue between the gang, and the interviews, and the bits ("It's Just Wrong"), made hard days bearable.

It's been a wonderful run. I still love the show, but mostly because of what it has been, not what it is. I hope Howard recognizes how tired he and his show sounds these days, and recognizes that there is no shame in retiring and living out the rest of his life knowing he made so many of us laugh.

2. Mr Vengeance

Mr Vengeance Ladies love cool V. VIP

Reputations:
    The show's sucked since midway through the first year of the Sirius years and just gotten worse.

I remember driving to Vermont and listening to the show the day he announced the move and was stoked for the "Revolution". Too bad it turned out to be the "Evolution" and the making of a PC, hypocrite homo........

3. binhphuocngu

binhphuocngu Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    We're going to uhehehehe!!

TheWonk likes this.
  4. GaryPuppet

GaryPuppet Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The day the man announced a slew of empty promises.

5. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
  6. binhphuocngu

binhphuocngu Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Who knew that he'd goto UHEHEHE and end his career by being a closeted interviewer for Vogue.
    Idiot muhfucka.

7. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    What's he talking about Robin?

JameGumb and Divorce Chicken like this.
  8. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    I'm the sucker that bought Sirius in Dec of 04, a full year before the move.

9. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    He found out programing 3 channels and giving people their monies worth would cost him marbles. It could have been good but revolutions cost money.

10. stash

stash 2017 Kimbra of All Media VIP

Reputations:
    :console:

11. GLguygardner

GLguygardner WE DA BEST!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I bought 100 shares of Sirius stock:mad:

codeine and TheWonk like this.
  12. dancearmstrong

dancearmstrong Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was working in an electronics store at the time and not a single person came in that day or the next or the next with any interest. At that time XM was far more popular. To be fair, they were giving product and service away to the employees so we would talk it up. I must have gotten 5 or 6 XM radios/plan for free just because I sold it.

Sirius was a distant 2nd and nobody really seemed interested in this announcement. I was excited, but not excited enough to actually shell out $$$ for a radio or anything. I had XM in my car and house and wasn't sure I wanted another whole set up. I believe around Nov 05 they had a promo for nearly free equipment for the employees and I jumped on it.

But in the entire time I was working there, not a single soul came in and asked about Howard.

Ta Ta Toothy and stash like this.
  13. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Howard has created shame in his retirement. Had he retired before he did a stupid family show and before he pissed all over his fans and drove them away, then there would've been no shame. He'd have retired a legend with people wanting more and respecting him. Now, he's a joke. But he might as well retire even with the shame, because he doesn't have it in him to build that all back up to go out on a high note. He's lazy and tired and rich and a pussy and has lost the knowledge of what is funny and entertaining.

Now Howard pushes the button on himself because he's a coward pussy. He needs to just push the big red button, but I have a feeling it's going to be pushed for him when Sirius doesn't re-sign him and no one else offers a big contract.

Fuck Howard.

codeine, Ta Ta Toothy, Wiggy and 3 others like this.
  14. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Get off my air you fuck

15. Benjamen

Benjamen Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I hadn't listened to that clip in years. I noticed he didn't mention his partner in crime Mel Karmazin when he referred to his new bosses at Sirius. He also said this move was politically and creatively motivated, and had nothing to do with money -- even though he was trading a $20 million salary with dwindling markets and no prospects for a raise for a 5-year/$500 million contract.

He also said he's reached out to people you wouldn't expect him to be working with to program his new channels, then quickly said he hasn't reached out to them yet but will. I guess he was trying to stay on the right side of the law and had to be careful how he worded every sentence.

codeine and stash like this.
  16. greenchiclets

greenchiclets Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've listened to all the Sirius shows from the beginning, till Artie left. And I never bought a Sirius radio.
    I have all of them on mp3 too.

dancearmstrong likes this.
  17. June DeMay

June DeMay Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well, to be honest, there is nothing in the last 10 years of the Revolution that proves Howard reached out to anyone but wackpackers to work on his channels.

18. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The announcement of the move to an FCC-free medium which allowed partner Stern to later sue the company, play lots of commercials and censor his own show.

19. Sickboy

Sickboy Latverian Monarch

Reputations:

Ha ha, silly goyam...
    [​IMG]

codeine likes this.
  20. deadbeat

deadbeat Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

codeine likes this.