The Mythical Origins of Howard 100 News

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Benjamen, May 30, 2013.

1. Benjamen

Benjamen Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    In today's interview with the retiring Ralph Howard, Howard reminded listeners how he dreamed up the idea for Howard 100 News, perpetuating the same myth that he told New York Magazine in his 2005 profile -- that it came to him out of thin air one day in the shower:

What Howard never acknowledges is that, in the two years leading up to his move to Sirius, he'd been routinely playing syndicated clips of The Onion's Radio News, featuring Doyle Redland.

Each clip began with a series of sharp, percussive notes, like an old Teletype machine -- the way WINS introduces its newscast -- before anchor Doyle Redland's sonorous voice would intone, "It's the Onion Radio News' ... :

[video=youtube;ECf2eqg-Sp4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECf2eqg-Sp4[/video]

[video=youtube;w2DFQO9AWJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2DFQO9AWJo[/video]

More from the New York Magazine profile:

What Howard didn't mention to New York Magazine is The Great Crepitation Contest of 1946, a 1970s joke album depicting a farting contest where commentators narrate the action with the whispered reverence of golf announcers:

[video=youtube;2FyD95Hv7CU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FyD95Hv7CU[/video]

Howard is aware of the record. He copied it in 1998 when he held "The First Annual Crepitation Contest":

But Howard's biggest myth about Howard 100 News appears in his profile in Esquire in 2006:
    Happy retirement, Ralph Howard. And say hi to the other 16 hardcore newspeople who are no longer part of the Howard 100 News team ...

2. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was about to crap on your post, then I noticed you were the OP. Love your Carson monologue photoshops!

3. Hamptons

Hamptons Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The best of Howard 100 news is they are not allowed to cover anything about Howard that isn't covered by other media outlets, they have no inside story no scoop. They tried to find out info on the ring Howard got Beth and he flipped his wig and never covered another Howard exclusive again.

4. BonDuckwald

BonDuckwald Active Member

Reputations:
    Excellent post.

This also serves as a reminder of how depressingly far H100 News has drifted from the intended gag.

5. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    It was over as soon as they hired Lisa G and fired Penny Crone. Think about all of the great bits Penny was part of (interviewing Ronnie as his then wife being the best), and while I haven't listened in a good while now, I'm sure Lisa G has yet to be part of a single decent one.

6. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Robin: "You forget that you have a news team following you around."

Howard: "Yeah, another one of my dumb ideas."

7. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    The Mustard jackets weren't even Hmus' idea.

8. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    H100 News is and always has been a joke. It's funny listening to Lieberman claim he's a legitimate newsman, no one with any integrity would want to be associated with a liar like Howard. Look at all the recent stories other outside news sources have covered that weren't even mentioned by H100 News - the new house in Florida, the "foster" bulldog, the Twitter bullying. That's some great news organization they have, really something to be proud of.

9. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

10. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Am I the crazy one or do they still play a clip of Robin (2006 or 2007) saying how amazing and thorough Howard100 news is....:jj:

[video=youtube;N3mkb_FL5vM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3mkb_FL5vM[/video]

[video=youtube;pqE66RltUaQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqE66RltUaQ[/video]

11. sloth22

sloth22 Active Member

Reputations:
    I'll give him credit when he's right: Censoring DID ruin the concept.

12. whatsit

whatsit Dawg Lover VIP

Reputations:
    :wigtip: good post

13. tHISisKiSSeL

tHISisKiSSeL ♡❂❁❀♡ Gold

Reputations:
    also, if the news was supposed to be funny, why did they get rid of a true wackjob like penny crone and keep lisa g?

14. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I love when Howard says they can report about anything. From day 1 a lot of things were off limit, but virtually everything Howard, Beth, and Robin related other than what was talked about on the show became off limit when Lisa G gave out details about Beth's engagement ring. After that, Howard 100 news basically became a follow up of anything that happened on the show and not much else.

Imagine if Howard 100 News had complete autonomy and were allowed to write about anything they wanted today. Imagine Howard 100 News interviewing Dawg, Vashier, GarryPuppet, or NotYourBro? Or them investigating Wigate? Or them calling out all the bullshit Howard spews? Reporting the real ratings of AGT, MomCave, and Spoiled Rotten Pets? If they were allowed to do that, it would be the most listened to show on either channel.

15. IllegalSearch

IllegalSearch Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I miss SteveLangford and his huge penis, penis, penis, penis. He was hardhitting and relentless.

16. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thanks for taking the time to compile an insightful and well-researched post.

I mean, "TLDR becuse I is retarded"

17. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    the 'wigdaddy news' forgot to cover Artie and Blob. aint that a shame

[video=youtube;EyW1p7SpYW8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyW1p7SpYW8[/video]

18. Winst

Winst Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Stern News.....intimidation and misdirection.

....flaps,fluff for the fools.

The concept was/is very interesting....but the reality always was the joke that it more obviously has now become today.

Truly honest and brutal reporting regarding many things Stern could have really been something something.

Remember that a part of the original concept..and one that does still remain in certain ways...was to go after anyone and everyone
    that dared to raise an eye or a voice in one of HS's many directions.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  19. joyceface

joyceface Queen of Everything VIP

Reputations:
    Good post! Btw penny crone doesn't even list Howard 100 News on her resume. Something went really sour there.

20. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Awesome post and dead on too!