News The New Apple/Google Ad-Block War...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Aug 31, 2015.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Apple's Ad Blockers Rile Publishers

By Dow Jones Business News, August 30, 2015, 08:35:00 PM EDT

[​IMG]

Apple Inc.'s move to make it easier to block ads on iPhones and iPads is troubling publishers and heightening tensions with its Silicon Valley neighbors.

The next version of Apple's mobile-operating system, due out as early as next month, will let users install apps that prevent ads from appearing in its Safari browser.

Putting such "ad blockers" within reach of hundreds of millions of iPhone and iPad users threatens to disrupt the $70 billion annual mobile-marketing business, where many publishers and tech firms hope to generate far more revenue from a growing mobile audience. If fewer users see ads, publishers—and other players such as ad networks—will reap less revenue.

The move also is a competitive weapon against Apple rival Google Inc., which makes more money from Internet advertising than any other company in the world.

Making ad blockers available on iOS, one of two main smartphone-operating systems, is expected to prompt more consumers to use the technology. The benefits of blocking ads arguably are greater on smartphones than on personal computers, because they can reduce the clutter on small screens and help pages load faster.

"Apple is going to create a massive consumer appetite for blocking ads," said Sean Blanchfield, chief executive of PageFair, a company that helps publishers combat ad blocking.

Apple's is a more lucrative audience. Users on iOS spend more money on their devices than those on Google's Android operating system, making them more desirable to advertisers.

Ad blockers have long been available for Web browsers on personal computers, and have attracted a small but loyal following. Users can surf the Web without seeing banner ads, advertised links on search results or commercials before online videos. Apple permits ad blockers on its Safari browser for PCs.

About 6% of global Internet users employ ad blockers, according to an August report by PageFair and Adobe Systems Inc. That report said 198 million users ran ad blockers in June 2015, up 40% from a year earlier. Wells Fargo analyst Peter Stabler estimates that ad blockers will reduce spending on Internet ads by $12.5 billion world-wide in 2016.

"The ad-blocking problem is real and growing, and ad-blocking on iOS is only going to accelerate it," said Jason Kint, CEO of Digital Content Next, an association of digital publishers.

Apple isn't powering the ad-blocking software itself. Instead, it is allowing outside developers to write programs to work with the browser in its iOS 9. That means users must find an ad-blocking app and install it, an extra step that may deter some people.

Apple describes the apps as "content blocking," because they can prevent images or other parts of a Web page from loading, as well as advertising.

Apple says it won't allow ad blocking within apps, because ads inside apps don't compromise performance as they do on the browser. That distinction serves Apple's interests. It takes a 30% cut on money generated from apps, and has a business serving ads inside apps.

What's more, iOS 9 will include an Apple News app, which will host articles from major news publishers. Apple may receive a share of the revenue from ads that accompany those articles.

One concern for publishers is that ad-blocking software may provide users with a better experience, free from auto- play videos and hidden trackers that follow users around the Internet.

Dean Murphy, a developer who is creating an ad-blocking app called Crystal for iOS 9, said it can improve performance dramatically. In tests, he said the websites of 10 news organizations loaded nearly four times faster with the ad blocker and used 53% less data.

But Mr. Murphy said he feels conflicted, because publishers will lose advertising revenue.

"I can see the publisher side of this. This is how they monetize their business," he said. "The way I justify it to myself is the mobile Web is just so cluttered that something needs to be done about it."

Apple's support of ad blockers puts the company further at odds with Google. Over the past year, Apple CEO Tim Cook has repeatedly criticized the data-collection practices of technology companies, such as Google, that personalize advertising for users.

In a June speech, Mr. Cook said some prominent Silicon Valley companies had lulled consumers into complacency about their personal information and delivered a warning. "You're not the customer. You're the product," he said.

Google permits ad blockers in its Chrome browser for personal computers, even though that hurts its own ad business. For now, it's not as easy to block ads inside Chrome on mobile devices.

Google declined to comment for this article. At its annual shareholder meeting in June, Chief Executive Larry Page said, "We've been dealing with ad blocking for long time." He said marketers need to "get better at producing ads that are less annoying and that are quicker to load," pointing to search ads as an example.

Mr. Stabler, the Wells Fargo analyst, said Google is more exposed to the threat of ad blockers than companies with heavily used apps, such as Facebook Inc. While Google has many popular apps on iOS including Google Maps, YouTube and Gmail, many users still access services like search in a mobile browser.

"It seems like this is part of the ongoing tussle between these two entities," said Mr. Stabler. "It's yet another arrow that Apple can put into the ankle of Google."

2. BleedingGums

BleedingGums Fesh Fox Faggot VIP

Reputations:
    tl;dr

3. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Apple ads another feature Android has had since 2011, Apple fans rejoice at how they're cutting edge.

4. pickles3000

pickles3000 Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
  5. AllAboutHim Ed

AllAboutHim Ed #mypurpose VIP

Reputations:
    Jobs is no hero, but you're simply an asshole if you can't admit Apple revolutionized the smartphone industry.

Nothing like Android/Samsung dickbags fancying themselves as counter-culture.

Big Lar, Head Censor and Droog like this.
  6. AllAboutHim Ed

Reputations:
    It's pretty easy to bolt on a few bells and whistles when you just copy the work and development that someone else had already done. Apple fans don't think we're cutting edge, we think poseur counter-culture wanna be android users sucking the dick of the worlds biggest data aggregator are douches severely lacking in self awareness.

Head Censor, EndOfLine and Droog like this.
  7. AllAboutHim Ed

Reputations:
    You anuses should be calling Jobs a hero because we'd still be buying shitty Windows Mobile 3.2 from this dickbag if Jobs hadn't shown the industry how to make a smartphone:

Big Lar likes this.
  8. Pussy Tendon

Pussy Tendon Wet! CUNT!!!!! Gold

Reputations:
    Ballmer is right about the keyboard... I still fucking miss it. Even though I'm on an iPhone.

9. cg256

Reputations:
    And the typical apple fanboi shows his ignorance. I was not aware that Apple developed the Linux kernel that Android runs on. All this time I thought Apple ran on XNU.

It's been Apple scrambling for years to bolt on those "bells and whistles" on to their second rate operating system that can't even handle multi tasking with any kind of grace. And to claim that Android just benefits from the work others has done while you suckle on Apples teet is hilarious considering Apple has never invented a thing. From Xerox, Fujitsu, Rimoteca, and countless others Apple has borrowed heavily from their peers in the industry. Hell even Jobs said "Good artists copy, great artists steal", a line he stole himself from Picasso.

Hardware aside (although hardware of equal or greater quality can be found on Android), Apple has been playing catch up for years in terms of OS. And it's adorable how you try to tag on a term like "poseur counter-culture" to Android enthusiasts like it isn't Apple who has the cult like sheep following.

If it wasn't for Jobs we would be using Blackberries dope. And thanks for the negs. I'm sorry the truth hurt so much.

Remember don't sit down with your iPhone in your pocket, you wouldn't want to bend it.

10. AllAboutHim Ed

Reputations:
    I had Samsung's top of the line smartphone when the iPhone first came out. It was the best device on the market and it still sucked as bad as you do when compared to the iPhone. It's just a fact that smartphones sucked before the iPhone showed everyone what was possible.

You just keep being a tard thinking you know better though.

Horse Marbles likes this.
  11. cg256

Reputations:
    AllAboutHim Ed gave you 150 negative reputation points for your post in the thread The New Apple/Google Ad-Block War.... With the following comment: Let me know if you want more, friend

Aww, poor little boy is sad someone doesn't prefer his phone brand. Cry harder, then tell me who the fanboi is.

Nobody is debating that Apple popularized the smartphone and ushered in a revolution. That was a decade ago dude. They've been all but lapped since then.

I know better than you, that's for sure, but the bar isn't set very high in that regard.

Big Lar, GQtaste and Mike Huntslooce like this.
  12. cg256

Reputations:
    AllAboutHim Ed gave you 150 negative reputation points for your post in the thread The New Apple/Google Ad-Block War.... With the following comment: I'll take that as a yes.

Oh no, please stop! My Internet points! What will I ever do without them?

Keep negging me bro, hopefully it'll hold you over till you can get home and kick your dog cuz you're angry you just got owned by a stranger on the internet.

Big Lar and Mike Huntslooce like this.
  13. AllAboutHim Ed

Reputations:
    You do recall that you were the one to first open a thread about Apple and insult Apple users, right? You're such a dickbag you don't even know you're a dickbag.

14. cg256

Reputations:
    No, I opened a thread about Google to get some information, left a silly snarky comment in passing about Apple, and you proceeded to come unhinged and have a melt down because I don't prefer the same brand of phone you do.

AllAboutHim Ed gave you 150 negative reputation points for your post in the thread The New Apple/Google Ad-Block War.... With the following comment: I like you!

I like you too. I've always has a place in my heart for special needs children.

15. AllAboutHim Ed

Reputations:
    Yup, the guy driven to declare himself an internet winner is surely the winner of not only the Internet but in life as well.

16. cg256

Reputations:
    No, the fact that you came completely off the rails about a phone is what declared me the winner. That was just my acceptance speech.

17. AllAboutHim Ed

Reputations:
    You totally fuckin win bro!!!

18. cg256

Reputations:
    1. AllAboutHim Ed gave you 150 negative reputation points for your post in the thread The New Apple/Google Ad-Block War.... With the following comment: You won bro!
      11:57 AM
    2. AllAboutHim Ed gave you 150 negative reputation points for your post in the thread The New Apple/Google Ad-Block War.... With the following comment: My Indian virtual assistant name Vijay is going to put you in...
    I'd really like some more negs from you so you can prove to me how not mad and how not a fanboi over a fucking phone you are.

theroller likes this.
  19. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I see a lot of this around here, too.
    upload_2015-8-31_13-12-2.jpeg [​IMG]

20. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    Your insecurity with your cellphone choice is sad.

And does Google include an ad-blocker in their Android Chrome browser?