The News Commercials

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Peau de Soie, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Does anyone remember when the live-read mini-commercials started in earnest? I think it was at the beginning of this new contract.

These, combined with the 2/3 day work week, are the biggest reason that paying subscribers should be freaking furious at Howard.

They completely destroy whatever weak flow might have built up, and they are just jammed in there, sometimes literally mid-sentence during a conversation.

It's blatant, it's shameless, and it's bloody awful.

He's already rushing through to make his new strict 10 AM cutoff, Robin is reading the news clips her staff put on the paper in front of her with zero background knowledge, and he makes occasional jabs at the news subject, all while ramming the live reads in. Oh my dog it's terrible.

Ironically though, it's still during the news that he sometimes comes up with the best rants or ad libbing of the day, so I STILL listen. :( But if I were a paying subscriber I'd cancel over this crap.

2. Tranquil

Tranquil Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The news is the one thing I refuse to listen to, it’s just a bunch of live reads, Robin spewing out misinformation about whatever article she is reading for the first time live on air, and then Howard making the occasional comment. I’d rather listen to nothing at all than that garbage.

3. Mulletude

Mulletude I'm Big In The Hate Club, Ya Know VIP

Reputations:
    I don't know, but listening to the car dealership ad on the HSS today made me wonder (again) other than the swearing and not being as funny, what is the difference between Howard's Sirius show and the old terrestrial radio show?

4. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    yeah, it used to be my favorite part of the show too

5. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    You sound run down, maybe you need some Cheetah Power Surge or if you'd prefer caffeine glued to a disolvable strip get some Sheetz.

6. dboi43

dboi43 Member

Reputations:
    i got some of thos sheetz there ok

7. ImmaJudge

ImmaJudge Member

Reputations:
    Hint: If you're listening without being a paying subscriber, you should already know that there are commercial-free edits available.

8. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Yeah, but then it sounds even more awkward... up to a dozen stilted cuts in under an hour of audio. It sounds psychotic, constantly coming back and replaying the Robin theme. The minicommercials just ruin the show for everyone. Are they as new as I imagine they are?

I am used to the longer form talk-ups. In the old days the commercials could be more entertaining than the show, but you still knew they were commercials and that the show would return at some point.

9. bobartbooey

bobartbooey Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    On the bright side the live read of Regus was a welcome interruption to that idiot call yesterday with the fake guy that thought Howard could see him

10. baby booie

baby booie Active Member

Reputations:
    I thought you were referring to the obvious paid ads in robin's news, like mentioning a movie release 3 days in a row or her AOL spot. Makes me wonder where the payments go.

11. Critter

Critter New Member

Reputations:
    They started around the third year of Howard's first contract - after he met a subscriber threshold and was eligible to take a "portion" of all advertising revenue. Big coincidence, huh?

12. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Do you remember when he used to rant on and on at K-Rock about having to do live reads? His complaint was that they ruined his show and he didn't want the salespeople selling live reads because he wasn't going to do them. We heard it over and over. Now, he's the poster child for live reads. I think he's trying to get users to cancel as a way to get back at Sirius for what he perceives as being screwed out of a bonus.

13. Ruffypup

Ruffypup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Shortly after he put a stop to all the Levy and "unnecessary" plugs at the end of the show

14. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Good points, all. Thanks for the responses. I just heard them talk about the CT murder case (Stephen Morgan, claimed Howard talked to him over the radio in 2009) on the 1/25 show, so I guess they scheduled the fake caller right after that?

For some reason the 1/25 show didn't seem to have quite as many of the live read minicommercials.

15. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I miss Bob.

16. Ruffypup

Ruffypup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This type of "live" read is even more of a fuck you/in your face type read than on any other form of radio....He is too lazy to even attempt to blend it.....We pay for this!