The O&A forum on Reddit has been astroturfing an outrage campaign against Opie to get him fired

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by beleca, Oct 8, 2015.

1. beleca

beleca Member

Reputations:
    Take for instance this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/opieandanthony/comments/3nz1vs/updated_cancel_opie_video/

There's plenty more like that, but basically they've been drawing attention to the "cake stomp" video by tweeting it to news orgs, posting it everywhere, sending it to groups of people most likely to be outraged, writing outraged letters to sirius, etc., and even though the video is like 5 years old, they've actually gotten some traction, including coverage in mainstream entertainment sites who've covered the outrage and are oblivious to the astroturfing campaign. They've also pulled audio of any offensive thing he's said over the years and tried to draw attention to it, including an incident where he supposedly killed a dog by kicking it. It really is 4chan-level social engineering. They're tricking people who know nothing about them or their motives, or Opie for that matter, into demanding his firing.

The Opie hate on that subreddit is possibly more vicious than the Wig hate on here, at least in terms of the shit they say; literally wishing death upon him and talking about Bam Margera fucking his wife. They are actual "haters". They're what Wiggy thinks you guys are.

There was a time when genuinely outraged people would earnestly demand Opie's firing because O or A said something they actually found offensive, and fans would rally around them. Now former fans are pretending to be offended and tricking other people into lobbying for his firing, because they genuinely want to see him lose his job.

Relevant because he's a radio host whose former fans have turned on him

Sickboy, Snort, Xent and 3 others like this.
  2. Abner Devereaux

Abner Devereaux Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  3. shitba

shitba Shot Dead VIP

Reputations:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    SternsEgo and Abner Devereaux like this.
  4. señor pedro

señor pedro El Chocha Master Bee Ay Pii Gold

Reputations:
    Muy interesante :jj:

5. Turbongr

Turbongr Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Good

6. jobbey

jobbey Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Opie sucks. Anthony carried the show

. We had them here in boston on waaf in 90.'

Loved anthony. Opie was just a dick. That annoying voice. God.

All he does is bitch. Like a lil girl.

7. alittlebitcunty

alittlebitcunty Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Lately guests have mentioned being pressured to boycott the show. I never would have guessed the pests were behind it. Thanks for posting this here, now I'm in on the joke.

I don't think they can get Opie on any racial stuff, I think the best bet is something misogynistic to get traction on social media.

Abner Devereaux likes this.
  8. SillyOldMan

SillyOldMan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I have always liked the idea of compiling audio of every time Howard says something offensive and sending it to people and groups who are most likely to give it mainstream coverage. But I have no idea how to pull audio lol.

How does Howard still get away with goofing on a retarded person for 30 minutes Just because he doesn't call her Wendy the Retard makes it all OK? I would love for Howard to go through a Don Imus-like controversy that gets big mainstream press.

For Howard, it is things like:
    * old racist bits
    * Howard making up stories about being beaten up by blacks ("it was like living in a jungle, Robin")
    * goofing on mentally retarded
    * gay humor?

There's less of it now. But it's still there.

9. TheWakening

TheWakening Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    After watching those videos..you're gonna have a bad time finding sympathy bro. I don't know much about "Opie" but he seems like a major unfunny asshole. Maybe start a thread about rap being shitty nowadays. Here's a link to help you out.

10. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I have never listened to more than a few seconds of the O&A show, but the cake stomp thing was about what I expected. No thanks.

11. johnfreeman1

johnfreeman1 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I only liked Patrice with Anthony coming in every now and then

12. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :jj: that is fucking awesome

13. ScottBaiosPenis

Reputations:
    nothing will top when the Palestinians come for howard tho

[​IMG]

14. Humph

Humph Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I genuinely despise those reddit retards,

The cake stomp video is 8 years old and this time it went viral because a random person (who knows zero about O&A) posted it in the videos section on reddit, it made the front page, then took off from there...it had zilch to do with the "pests", who now talk on there about how they're "manipulating the media".

I used to really like the show, but in the last year Anthony's turned into a unfunny, boring, racist cunt and Opie's just a complete fucking idiot, happy I don't have any reason to listen anymore.

15. TSSTaylor

TSSTaylor Active Member

Reputations:
    Been listening to O&J and later O&A since 2010 and understanding the dynamic between the show/hosts and the fans is far more complex to pick up than it is for the Stern show. And things complicated when Anthony was fired.

But to me Opie and Howard could save themselves a little bit more if they didn't whine about their "haters" considering they both used to handle them very different years ago.

That said the show is worth listening to for a week or two to get into if you haven't. Or try Race Wars with Sherrod and Kurt to start.

Chicken Soda likes this.
  16. ScottBaiosPenis

Reputations:
    in the last year? i guess you didnt listen when obama was running in 2008,it was non stop politics and race. i love ant but he will get stuck on a subject and start repeating himself over and over and nobody can redirect him

17. JessOnCrack

JessOnCrack Check out my maniacal laugh! Banned User

Reputations:
    The only thing that makes it worse it that the homeless man is also a Syrian refugee

18. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Never listened to Opie. He seems like an asshole judging by the clips above.

19. Turbongr

Turbongr Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Just watched the second video. Cringeworthy as it is from a manipulative/bleeding heart point of view this dude's assholeness made me root for the faeg editor. What the fuck. Ironically I think he's trying to cop old Howard but has none of the genuine interest in the person that H used to have. Now he's just as bad to his regulars….most ironical. This Opie character is Boots w/ the extra added asshole you've always never wanted. Anything, and I mean anything, bad that happens to him is clearly long overdue.

20. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hope he doesn't get fired, the world needs his documentary show:eek:

yaddc and zutroy like this.