The Other Racial Divide

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Dave Jones, May 23, 2015.

1. Dave Jones

Dave Jones Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    When guests at a North Korea Freedom Week dinner in Northern Virginia learned the Korean-American pastor at our table led a Maryland church, they immediately asked about the situation in Baltimore. It was May 1, and National Guard troops had been deployed to the city three days earlier to help quell the unrest sparked by the death of a man in police custody. The pastor let out a deep sigh before responding. A few members of his congregation had lost everything. After working diligently for years building small businesses in a new country, they watched their efforts literally go up in flames as looters trashed their shops and carted off their merchandise.

The crisis reminded many in America’s growing community of two million Korean immigrants and their descend-ants of another city’s devastation two decades earlier. Baltimore’s riots began two days before the anniversary of the outbreak of the 1992 Los Angeles riots, in which Koreatown, the heart of the Korean diaspora in America, was subjected to pogrom-like attacks by irate mobs. Though Asian Americans had nothing to do with either Rodney King’s or Freddie Gray’s injuries, they appear to have been the targets of some of the animosity unleashed by rioters.

The depth of feeling about the L.A. riots—which left some Korean-American business owners who lacked insurance permanently impoverished—reached even the ancestral homeland, as I well remember. A delegation of dissidents, including pastors, labor leaders, academics, and students, called at the U.S. consulate at which I was stationed in Busan, South Korea’s second-largest city, in the spring of 1992 to demand that President George H. W. Bush “do something to protect our compatriots from rioters.” They considered inadequate the official U.S. government response that protection of life and property in civil disturbances in the United States was a local issue, primarily for Los Angeles mayor Tom Bradley, and that deploying the National Guard was the prerogative of California’s governor, then Pete Wilson. That evening, an enraged student demonstrator tossed a Molotov cocktail at the U.S. consul’s car—my car—as it departed through the consulate’s gates. Fortunately, the official car was armor-plated, a surplus U.S. government vehicle left over from the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympic Games, so the gasoline-filled, lit bottle bounced off it without igniting.

Baltimore has brought back these painful memories and raised a less-examined racial divide than the obvious one between black and white America. Not only in Los Angeles and Baltimore, but in Ferguson and other cities caught up in racially charged confrontations, Asian-American shopkeepers, including Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, and Arab Americans as well as Koreans, appear to have been the victims of racial profiling. These recent immigrants came to the United States largely after the Civil War and the Jim Crow system of segregation and thus have no connection to the charges of continued institutional racism that some blame for the disturbances. Yet the New York Times reported April 27 that gang members in Baltimore had specifically “stood in front of stores that they knew were black-owned businesses to protect them from looting and vandalism,” pointing the rioters instead “toward Chinese- and Arab-owned stores.”

The Korea Times reported April 30, quoting the Korean-American Grocers Association International and the Korean Society of Maryland, that at least 40 Korean-owned businesses in Baltimore were damaged in the riots. One Korean-American-owned business, Fireside North lounge and liquor store, was set on fire, with its owner and the owner of another business, Uptown Liquor, reportedly sustaining injuries. The Associated Press stated that a total of 200 small businesses, many owned by Asian-Americans, were shut down as a result of damage caused by rioters.

Baltimore’s WBAL News reported the same day that “42 Korean grocers, delis, and carry-outs” had been “destroyed or damaged during the unrest,” with the total number still being tallied. The television station also noted that the Korean consulate and the Korean-American wife of Maryland governor Larry Hogan subsequently held meetings with some business owners to discuss reconstruction.

WBAL added that masked intruders not only looted Freddie’s Liquor but beat up store owner Young Park. John Bang, the owner of Hopkins Beauty Supply, said he applied lessons he learned from the L.A. riots: He barricaded himself “with an arsenal of weapons.” He told WBAL, “I have registered firearms, a shotgun, AR-15, pistols.” Bang said that if rock-carrying looters tried to enter his business, “I would say ‘I’m armed! Don’t come in!’ And if they don’t believe me and became more aggressive, I would give them a warning shot.”

CNN carried a report on May 7of a young Korean-American man viewing with shock a video of an older Korean woman sobbing in the ruins of her 30-year-old wig and beauty shop on Pratt Street that had been destroyed by looters. Her son, Matthew Chung, wrote on Facebook, “My parents came to this country with no money and worked hard to set up a little business that’s been in the same neighborhood in Baltimore City for over 25 years. But just in one night everything they have worked for is now all gone.”

Resentment of the commercial success of these immigrant communities, though this success is based on the age-old American dream of achievement through hard work and family values, seems to have been a factor in the attacks. National Public Radio reported from the Sandtown neighborhood of west Baltimore April 30 that “many Asian-owned businesses were targeted for destruction.” Yvonne Gordon, a witness to the looting, told NPR that the store where she works “was spared because it is owned by black people. .  .  . But she says that the Korean-owned shops on the block didn’t get that protection.” A young African-American man stated that the vandalism was “payback” and added, “I don’t feel like it was the most reasonable thing to do, but it’s definitely justified,” noting that the few businesses in the neighborhood that do exist are mostly Asian-run.

British newspaper the Daily Mail said shop owner Rajneesh Nagpal, 39, called the police 50 times during the riots, “but nobody came to help him.” He added: “This is not protest. They’re destroying their own community. I don’t see any national guard. Nobody cares about us.” Subsequent media reports, quoting police sources, indicate that Baltimore mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake issued a “stand-down” order to police on April 27, the date of Freddie Gray’s funeral, thus enabling looters to attack Nagpal’s business as well as others in the city. Governor Hogan eventually, at the mayor’s belated request, activated 5,000 National Guard troops to assist in imposing a curfew and restoring order.
    African immigrant Kibrom Ghebremeskel, 38, who came to the United States from war-torn Eritrea, boarded up his delicatessen before the “swarm” of youths arrived; he managed to keep the mob at bay. He told the Daily Mail that he thought he was free in America of daily unrest and violence—but now feels even less safe in Baltimore. “In Eritrea people die because of the political situation, here people die for no reason at all,” he said. “How can the U.S. let this happen?” Korean-American immigrant Sung Kang, 49, left his job at Johns Hopkins last year to open his own business, a tavern, which was looted. “This shop is everything I have,” he said. “This is America. I wanted to follow my dream and wanted to make something for myself.”

The new attorney general, Loretta Lynch, has announced a Justice Department probe of Baltimore police over possible violations of civil rights. She should also order a federal investigation of whether the assaults on ethnic Asian business owners in Baltimore involved racially motivated hate crimes. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 permits federal prosecution of anyone who “willingly injures, intimidates or interferes with another person, or attempts to do so, by force because of the other person’s race, color, religion or national origin.” Reports from the New York Times and other media suggest that business owners in Baltimore were targeted based on their ethnicity. The constitutional rights of Asian minorities in a majority African-American city, with an African-American mayor and African-American police chief, demand equal protection under the law

A store burns during riots in Baltimore, April 28, 2015.
    NEWSCOM

;

2. they're at it again

they're at it again Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Only reggie is protected by the discrimination laws.

A. Genius likes this.
  3. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fuck you and your book.
    image.jpg

4. Bristol Chicken

Bristol Chicken Free Range and Loving It Gold

Reputations:
    This is the answer.
    Legal citizens. Legal firearm owners. Legal business owners.
    Doesn't matter if your black, brown, white, yellow, or whatever.
    Protect and fight for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
    This is the American way

[​IMG]

Slow, Turtle Man, Dr Congo and 3 others like this.
  5. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    tldr. Wake up white people!

A. Genius likes this.
  6. A. Genius

A. Genius Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    So-called anti racists on this site love to ignore the facts. They need to ask themselves an important question: If a race war broke out, which team would you join? I posit that these people, were they to be honest with themselves, would hate their answer because it would prove a biological truth that they wish wasn't true.

Batwings, Slow, Honkey Donkey and 3 others like this.
  7. Calloused Shins

Reputations:
    Hey white trash, don't worry, just a hunch... There will never, ever, ever be any such thing as a "race war". Perhaps people should plan on which side to pick if a fag vs straight war breaks out as well right, Limbaugh?

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  8. A. Genius

Reputations:
    Name calling and avoiding a question. You seem full of hate. I like your moxie, kid. Why do you hate introspection? Nevermind, you probably can't conceive anything beyond pop culture references and it's not even your fault.

Bob barker, Batwings, Slow and 2 others like this.
  9. Calloused Shins

Reputations:
    Huh? I didn't avoid any question. Nor did I name call. I'm relatively sure you're white trash. And there will never be a race war... That's like thinking there might be a blonde vs brunette war... You're the genius here... Answer this, anyone besides some old grumpy white guy, who really sweats race anymore? You do know the "races" have been mixing for centuries correct ?

ScottBaiosPenis likes this.
  10. A. Genius

Reputations:
    Blondes and brunettes. Good one. Like that is race related. Calling someone white trash is harsh, so you just lied by saying you didn't name call. Voluntary race mixing is entirely different from forced integration. Do you know what that means, or do you expect me to forward the documents and links and academic papers? Besides, the question was about 'if' there were a race war and what side you would join. And since you can't comprehend my point of view, that I was an 'every race is equal and whitey is keeping them down' person, to living in several multicult hell holes and still clinging to the muticult lie until my eyes were opened. There is so much to learn that most people just believe the pretty lies being fed to them. Like I said, it's not your fault. And, again, typical of people with your very generic spoonfed views on most issues, you make assumptions about me. It's not your fault. If you're white, go to the source and help them out. Oakland or Detroit would be a good start. Hell, maybe you'll love it and stay there. You anti-white types can't help it. It's not your fault, though. Also, everyone is equal so I'm sure those places will rebound without whiteys help. Go bang your chic, that usually calms the mind of the ignorant. But it's not your fault. Just keep remembering that and you'll always be an useful idiot. Or you could listen to Jared Taylor explain things to you. I'd suggest reading 'The Bell Curve' but I'm sure you don't have the attention span. Again, it's not your fault and you're forgiven. Back to work, I have to finish my curriculum.

11. they're at it again

they're at it again Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    You don't even have to ask them about the race war, ask them if they had a choice would the choose to live in a white or black neighborhood.
    When the war starts, they will be the first group killed. They reggies that they love and bend over for will take them out even thought they are "down with the struggle." Whitey will take them out because it's people like them who brought the war on .

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  12. captbill

captbill Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Blacks don't like Asian businesses because the Asian owners won't give them "credit" if they come in to buy something without money to pay for it. You want credit, go to a bank, not your local "mom and pop" business.

13. Calloused Shins

Reputations:
    Damn you're delusional.... Let me help you out... No shit blondes and brunettes aren't a race. I was pointing that out as being as idiotic as your race war. Just like races now, blondes and brunettes are mixed. You have your dirty blondes, you and light brunettes and so forth. The same for races, genius. The only people still talking about such nonsense are the fringe radicals of different groups, black panther and kkk types. But don't worry, it's not your fault. You were probably raised by a old angry white dude, or you once got beat up by a black dude. You can still chose to grow up and think like a man at any point.Again, since you're obviously so smart, answer this. Whose side will you take when the Doberman vs Rottweiler war breaks out.

A. Genius likes this.
  14. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    The Koreans in Baltimore business are a tight-knit group.

Generally, they work with a Korean lending arm, which is essentially a mini-mafia outfit. They purchase goods from the mini-mafia, and work tirelessly to grow their little businesses. They'll sleep on the floor of the grocery if needed.

They deal with the animals on a daily basis.

For those of you who live somewhere far, far away from ghettos like Baltimore, you have no idea what it's like dealing with the human garbage. Nothing I could say would prepare you for the absolute insanity which is ghetto blackness. There are no rules of conduct, there is no level below which you can sink. They live as though there's no tomorrow, and no consequence for the most stupid thing you can do in the RIGHT NOW.

15. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    asians build and succeed, blaeks destroy and whine.

no matter what they do, they're screwed....especially in college admissions.

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  16. Slow

Slow All The Pieces Matter DawgShed News

Reputations:
    Using the term white trash has no real effect to white people and is offensive to other races as it implies that a particular white person is at a lower level as other "trash" minorities.

When you think of it from a racial perspective, there's the implication that it's such an unusual event for white people to be "trash" that there needs to be a special category. Political theorist bell hooks, in her book Black Looks, says that white trash is basically a code term meaning, "as low as black people."

17. XXXL yoga pants

XXXL yoga pants Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The idea that races are mostly mixed is false. The U.S. is on the extreme end of the world in terms of diversity, and even here almost no whites have African heritage (fewer than 4% have a black ancestor in the last 200 years, less than 20% of blacks have a single european ancestor in the last 200 years, and less than 4% have a Native American ancestor). So even in one of the most diverse nations on earth there is a vanishingly small amount of racial mixing, and most nations in the world have far less racial mixing.

Not saying a race war is likely here, just clearing up the misinformation.

18. XXXL yoga pants

XXXL yoga pants Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yea, it says something that black people do something similar, except their special category is for those who succeed-Uncle Toms.

Slow likes this.
  19. Domo Cup

Domo Cup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Why you people not like Koweans?

check1 likes this.
  20. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Lesson to be learned...

You better carry a shit ton of insurance if you plan on owning a liquor store in the ghetto.