The progression of Microsoft Windows

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Windows 95 turns 20; here's a look at Microsoft's operating system through the years
    BY Alejandro Alba
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Monday, August 24, 2015, 4:04 PM
    • A
    • A
    • A
    Share this URL
    [​IMG] Microsoft
    Windows 95
    You might remember 1995 as the year TLC was atop the music charts and "Mortal Kombat" became a surprise hit at the box office, but you might also remember that Microsoft's Windows 95 sold 7 million copies during its first five weeks.

Microsoft first launched Windows 95 on August 24, 1995—hence the name—with a $250 million publicity campaign and the help of Jay Leno, The Rolling Stone's "Start Me Up" and a cyber-sitcom starring Jennifer Anniston and Matthew Perry.

Exactly 20 years later, the prominent operating system is still a popular choice among PC users and it's releasing its 20th version: Windows 10.

In honor of the 20th anniversary, the Daily News has put together a timeline that shows the evolution of Windows operation system:

Windows 95
    Windows 95 was not the very first Windows. In fact, Microsoft had already worked on 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 before '95 was launched into the business/consumer market. Windows 95 was a game changer in the PC world and introduced us to the iconic Start button.

Windows NT
    [​IMG] Microsoft
    Windows NT
    The second consumer version of Windows was the first 32-bit version of the operating system. Windows NT was released on July 27, 1993 and focused mostly on being a strategic business platform.

Windows 98
    [​IMG] Microsoft
    Windows 98
    Unlike its previous two versions that were very business-centric, Windows 98 was the first version that fully focused on the consumer experience. Windows 98 was specifically designed for the typical PC found at home, work and even Internet cafes. Windows 98 was released on June 25, 1998 and its slogan was "Works Better, Plays Better."

Windows 2000
    [​IMG] Microsoft
    Windows 2000
    Windows 2000 was essentially an upgraded Windows NT. The 2000 version added extra speed, stability and it was aimed at large businesses.

Windows ME
    [​IMG] Microsoft
    Windows ME
    Microsoft released two different Windows versions in the year 2000. The first was Windows 2000, which was for businesses and the second was Windows ME, which was meant for home computers. Windows ME—also known as the Millennium Edition—had several music, photo and video enhancements that set it apart from previous versions.

Windows XP
    [​IMG] Microsoft
    Windows XP
    Microsoft was on top of its game when it released Windows XP on October 25, 2001. The new OS had a completely new user interface and design that was centered on usability. It also had several help and support services that made navigating the system much easier.

Windows Vista
    [​IMG] Microsoft
    Windows Vista
    Windows Vista was the first OS ideal for both business and home computers. The 2006 version of Windows had a really strong security system and great User Account Controls that allowed owners to protect their computer against malware.

Windows 7
    [​IMG] Microsoft
    Windows 7
    Windows 7 kept all the great tools and features from previous versions and presented them with a new look. Windows 7 also introduced Windows Touch, which made it easier to use the OS on laptops with touchscreens. Although Windows 7 was released in 2009, many PC owners have been afraid of upgrading due to bad reviews for Windows 8. Therefore, Windows 7 is still used by many businesses and households.

Windows 8
    [​IMG] Ryan Nakashima/AP
    Windows 8
    Windows 8 was released in October 2012 and it introduced a completely different user interface that relied mostly on applications. The new UI had a tiled Start screen and it worked on hybrid computers, such as laptops that flip. Many users did not like the change in design and decided to stick with Windows 7.

Windows 10
    [​IMG] Microsoft via AP
    Windows 10.
    Windows 10 is the latest version of Microsoft's OS and it promises to be the best one yet. Windows 10 kept a similar UI of Windows 8, but redesigned it. Windows 10 also enhanced its UI with the intelligent voice assistant Cortana and cross platform compatibility-including the Xbox One. Microsoft's Edge Browser also comes preinstalled with the software.

Related Stories
    [​IMG] 8 Windows 10 new features that'll make you want to upgrade
    [​IMG] Microsoft confirms July 29 release date for Windows 10
    [​IMG] Windows 10 will support the middle finger emoji
    [​IMG] Microsoft offers free Windows 10 upgrades, even for pirates
    [​IMG] Microsoft unveils latest Windows 10, holographic technology

Guacamole, LaserT, smichal and 3 others like this.
  2. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    No MS Dos or Windows 1.0?
    I started out on MS Dos back in the late 80's,

John Mahlin, njguy8, HooHoo and 11 others like this.
  3. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    MS DOS 1.0 was released in 1981.

Fun fact, Windows 1.0 is the longest supported version of Windows ever: 1985-2001.

Today's Windows 10 is still based on the principles that were introduced in Windows 95. I think that's why this article focuses on that. Windows 3.1 and everything before that looked nothing like 95 or what we have today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guacamole, njguy8, smichal and 5 others like this.
  4. RenchFries

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

JumboWop and blindbella like this.
  5. dawg

Reputations:
    I can still remember the first computer i was trained on. It was an IBM clone.

IBM_PC_5150.jpg

No hard disk drive. You booted into dos on huge floppy disks. Then you would load your program in, at the time ironically i was working with Lotus 123 :jj:

1x-e2e2d90bdf7274fbdcf97e98ca638b45-lotus123v10a.png

Good memories :jj:

6. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Xp and 7 were awesome

Me and vista can suck it

Biff DiBiase and blindbella like this.
  7. RenchFries

Reputations:
    Sweet. What OS did that run?

8. blindbella

blindbella Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    A definite blast from the past! I think I still remember some old DOS commands.
    :giggle:

SalsMasterShake and smichal like this.
  9. dawg

Reputations:
    :wtf:

MS Dos

smichal likes this.
  10. dawg

Reputations:
    Quick, create a folder in the c drive under two parent folders

You have

Files
    ____Documents

Create a folder in documents.

11. RenchFries

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

smichal and JumboWop like this.
  12. RenchFries

Reputations:
    C:
    C:\>cd\Folder
    C:\Folder\>dir /w /p
    program.exe

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    dawg and blindbella like this.
  13. unclefreddy

unclefreddy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Windows 95 used to come on about a dozen floppy disks to install. I think the best version of the bunch is XP and Windows 7. I'm not into the new 10,

14. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    I'm staying with 7, had XP before that.
    May move to 10 next year after they get it right

15. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This.....

AmishGirl likes this.
  16. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    I'm afraid to upgrade, even for free.

Samsung recently updated my phone's software and I lost 2/3 of my contacts. Thanks, Samsung.

smichal likes this.
  17. RenchFries

Reputations:
    If you don't want your laptop to update, put it in sleep or hibernation mode.

Turning off automatic updates is a really bad idea for security.

XP and 7 were great OS'es, but they're dated compared to Windows 10. If you're putting 7 on a new PC, you're not getting the full potential out of it.
    It's already really good. The first big update is expected before the end of the year, service pack 1, if you will. The preview build for that one is already running faster than the current version because of smart RAM management/compression.

18. stash

stash 2017 Kimbra of All Media VIP

Reputations:
    Lotus 123.... I had never heard of it until about 6 months ago. One of our customers who runs a used car dealership was using it for the last 20 years to do his invoicing, printing them out on a very old dot matrix printer.

So he brought it to me bc its not booting or something, the tower is yellow and it has a 1gb hdd in it dated 1996... Its one of those days where Im just frustrated because I already have a ton of work to do, and this dummy waltzes in and dumps his problem on me, and its a big crisis because of the position he put himself in.. and pressure.

But looking back it was no big deal.. I just had to figure out what the fuck Lotus 123 was. It was the 'killer app' of the day, Ive since discovered.

What we did, since his mobo on his old pc was going out at the keyboard socket.. We put him into a vista machine, and I gave him Open Office to open all those stupid lotus files since MS office wont.. And he was good to go.

He kept saying "Lotus". And im thinking.. Lotus Notes email??? i dont know what Lotus123 is, you fool! :cuss:

dawg, GIRLY, smichal and 1 other person like this.
  19. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    It may be for people that need a daddy to tell them what to do. I have never had a problem installing updates when it is convenient to me. I'd have no problem with it if not for the fact that half the time I try to turn it off, I have to wait while an update installs. Same with when I start. Each version of Windows has been dumbed down. This automatic update thing is another example.

20. stash

stash 2017 Kimbra of All Media VIP

Reputations:
    Thats one of the big 'gotchas' when servicing these. Ive had it happen a few times: Youre all ready to go, Sir! Right after these 40 updates finish and it shuts down. Lobby is that way :angel:

The other option is, switch it off @ auto updates so it will shut down. But then you have to get the dumbfuck customer to go back in and turn it back on, which who knows if they ever do :dontknow:

RenchFries and gwartney like this.