Shop Now At Amazon

The Real Reason Behind "Can I Depend On You?"

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by tv910, Nov 5, 2012.

1. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If Howard really cared about the safety of his staff he would have told them to get completely out of the area and not worry about coming to work. Instead he expected them to stay in hotel rooms in NYC, which was directly in the storm's path. This was just another one of Howard's power plays/ego trips in action. He loves having insecure socially awkward misfits as employees so he can bully and manipulate them. Look at some of the people who caved in - Brandano, JD, and Shuli. Three untalented spineless sheep who could never get a job anywhere else except with Daddy Howard. I'm not sure if this was meant to impress Sirius/Malone or just for his own satisfaction but Howard was looking for a public show of devotion and obedience to him. He spent all summer playing down the importance of his Sirius job but now that he tanked on AGT he has nowhere else to go. He wanted desperately to be able to brag that he braved the weather and inspired his intensely loyal guys to show up for work no matter what, even when other shows and events were cancelled. Once again Hoiward overplayed his hand and now it's public knowledge that he doesn't have as much respect from his staff as he'd like people to think and (unlike him) they have other things in life that they value more than his shitty show.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  2. Sponsor

Sponsor

Reputations:

3. username

username Active Member VIP

Reputations:
    You are making it to complicated.

The only and real simple reason for Howard's actions are this: He have to do 3 shows this week. Howard cant be bothered to move Mon/Tue show to Thursday/Friday.

This is simple selfishness and laziness.

Howard was totally mad. He isn't the boss for anyone. Indemand license HowardTV and employs the HowardTV people. SiriusXM license The Howard Stern Show and Sirius pays for all the employes. Somehow Howard believes he is the boss over people he don't pay.

4. Scott

Scott Nightwatchman Staff Member

Reputations:
    Howard didn't book the hotels, Sirius did. They did it for O&A's staff and Morning Mash Up and probably every other live show.

5. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    OK, I changed the wording a little bit. I know he didn't personally book them, that's way too complicated for him to handle.

6. Scott

Scott Nightwatchman Staff Member

Reputations:
    True. He can't even find his way to work without a babysitter.

7. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard has no concept on how to empathize how other people may feel or to put himself in their place for a second, because frankly he doesn't care about anyone but himself.

and yes, the people who came in are like little kids trying to please daddy.

8. ClumpyStern

ClumpyStern HSS-clean since Dec 2011 VIP

Reputations:
    Just heard snipets of this bullshit over the weekend. Holy shit, who would imagine that Howard and Robin could possibly still make even bigger assholes of themselves than they already have to date?

Howard "didn't mean anything" by his choice of words and it was all Gary attacking him. Right. Because that explains Howard's comment that he "used to be able to depend on Gary" back when he was driving in with highways closing down behind him but not anymore, because "things have changed...I just can't depend on you anymore." Yup. Just choice of words there, no criticism or anger there at all. What an asshole that Gary is for attacking Howard.

By the way, how come Kimmel couldn't "depend on" Howard to say he was definitely going to make his show? Not dependable? Not a true friend?

Howard's done a successful radio show for 30+ years...so nobody can criticize him about how he treats his employees or for what he says to people. Right. Because nobody who's good at being a doctor or a lawyer, or a store owner, or the host of a fart-and-dick-joke radio show ever treats any employees like shit or makes a complete asshole outta himself. Impossibe to criticize any of them for how they treat people while being "successful." Got it.

Howard tells Richard he should have made it in and actually says "Robin made it in today" when she hasn't been anywhere close to the studio in half a year. Richard responds politely that Robin didn't really make it in because she's "working" from home. He's the asshole because she "worked" after a 12-hour surgery 6 months ago...and that, somehow, has something to do with whether or not "Robin made it in today" is a true statement and whether people should have protected their families and their homes from flooding and fires. Got it.

Fuckwad takes off practically all summer, works 3 or 4 days in some months, works 2 days some weeks, and takes off days before or after taping a stupid TV show he didn't have to sign up for in the first place. But the day that huge areas of NY/NJ are devastated by flooding and power loss and bridge closures, and massive traffic problems, and mass transit shutdowns, anybody who needs to get home and stay home in CT or NJ or in the NY boroughs destroyed is an irresponsible asshole. Got it.

Unfuckingreal. You'd be less of an asshole at this point to call yourself a "fan" of Paris Hilton or Snookie than a "fan" of Howard Stern.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  9. Benjamen

Benjamen Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Great post. I agree with everything.

As for the "Can I depend on you?" phrasing, it strikes me as therapist language. Makes me wonder if that question derived from a session with the shrink. Howard deliberately kept the question vague but broad, and only changed the phrasing to "Can I depend on you *to be here tomorrow*?" after Gary "attacked" him, and he had to defend himself. But the power of the original question had been fully twisted and exploited by that point.

10. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... VIP

Reputations:
    The Real Reason Behind "Can I Depend On You?" mental illness?

11. slacker

slacker New Member

Reputations:
    Whats harder, making it to work once during a hurricane, or putting in a full 5 day week? If howie actually gave a shit he wouldn't be putting n 2 and 3 day weeks....

12. BethsZygote

BethsZygote In Utero VIP

Reputations:
    The Real Reason Behind "Can I Depend On You?"

All his wife knows how to "cook" is marshmallow casserole.

13. tHISisKiSSeL

tHISisKiSSeL ♡❂❁❀♡ Gold

Reputations:
    HS has no understanding of what it is to be a husband and father, the "man of the house".
    although gary can be a douchebag, he appears to be a good father. he took care of the kids and spent lots of time with them their whole lives (as opposed to HS who was only forced to be with ashley after divorce). gary coached teams and went to games. gary took his kids and their friends to movies and concerts. gary loves his kids and enjoys being a dad.
    maybe HS loves his kids. it's not apparent though.

14. Ruffypup

Ruffypup VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Howard's ability to read the room(listeners) has left the building. For him to think that his showing up to work during disaster makes him look heroic is pathetic. His first words to Kimmel were,,,, I was up at 4am and went to work...expecting that would gain him applause.

15. DearLawd

DearLawd Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

[​IMG]

16. DearLawd

DearLawd Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Clumpy Stern:

I think it was on Wednesday's show that Howard read an email from a viewer calling him a hypocrite for doing to Jimmy Kimmell exactly what he claimed Gary was doing to him: "being undependable".

Howard said it was not even close to the same thing....because Jimmy Kimmell's show was not "His show...the show that employs you". Therefore, what his employees did was blow off their own liviehoods.

I absolutely agree with everything else you said.

17. blottomsup

blottomsup Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    "Can I depend on you?" is a euphemism for: "Will you come to work tomorrow even though Manhattan is in the middle of a hurricane? Because I can't be bothered to move tomorrow's radio show to one of the thirty non-hurricane-affected dark days left this calendar year."

18. blottomsup

blottomsup Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    If the issue boils down to "Can I depend on you?," as Howard claimed with Gary that it did, then there is no distinction for non-paid guests booked for a show.

19. FCCstandards

FCCstandards Non-Essential Salooner VIP

Reputations:
    I love how one minute he says, don't worry about coming in. Then he turns and starts ripping on the guys for not coming in. That's called an asshole.

20. SouthernListen

SouthernListen PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    Howard has always sought out displays of loyalty to him. Intensely insecure and narcissistic, he demands total loyalty and constant reassurance. With the show winding down I'm sure the "rebellion" of many of his minions is a shock to his self-image, and it occurs to him that he is gradually losing his grip over them. Once the show ends, many of them will obviously not be employed by him. And like a Father that uses money to control his kids and wife, once they no longer need that from him he fears they will reveal their true selves, people who don't particularly like him all that much. Half his motivation for continuing to work is probably to have a bully pulpit in which to destroy anyone who dares speak out about him. If he leaves radio and show biz, the stories will fly and his reputation may be ruined.

21. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Great post as usual Clumpy! Fantastic summation of Wigward's psychology. If you'd like to, take a listen to to the whole saga. I have it compiled from last week with all the discussions about the topic here. I'd love to hear your take on ALL of it!?!?....

[video=youtube;6CJmSpB_Tws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CJmSpB_Tws[/video]