the real reason for the civil war

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by skylarbrie, Apr 26, 2014.

1. skylarbrie

skylarbrie VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
  2. fuzzynuts

fuzzynuts 99% Relevant

Reputations:
    Lincoln was pro-slavery before and during the early part of the civil war. It was more about economics and the states that wanted to secede wanted to do so because they believed in states rights like Jefferson. Lincoln was more a believer in Hamilton and thought that a central government was more important than states rights and a federalist system.

3. John Sterling

John Sterling Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Signs of Illuminati are dripping all over this flag.

[​IMG]

4. Hand Banana

Hand Banana Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They did NOT believe in states rights. South Carolina was especially pissed when states like New York would insist on using their own "states rights" to declare any slave within their borders was no longer the property of their Southern owners. That was their RIGHT to do so, but South Carolinians insisted that the other, Northern states are fuck off when it came to their rights relating to issues like slavery. They wanted to keep the A group of lovely people in the fields, which was, as Alexander Stephens noted, their "natural and normal condition."

5. fuzzynuts

fuzzynuts 99% Relevant

Reputations:
    You should probably go do some reading. They were seceding from the union of states and wanted sovereign rights for each state. They wanted to have their own rights not run by a central government.

I have done years of research into the matter and live here in Virginia, not far from many of the battle fields. Lincoln and the north took the first shots and started the war to keep central government control.

6. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    I see it!!11111111!!!!
    [​IMG]

7. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    years ago a TV special was aired that dramatised Lincoln from his diary entries and letters to others. He wrote repeatedly that he would have done anything to stop the war although he wished there was solution other than eliminating slavery, but that he had tried everything else first. based upon his diary notes i cringe whenever Lincoln is presented as "the great emancipator".

8. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    NYC has wanted to secede from NYS for 200 years; nobody pays attention to that either.

9. fuzzynuts

fuzzynuts 99% Relevant

Reputations:
    Also they viewed the slaves as property, so the above mentioned was a property issue to them not a states rights issue.

10. Turtle Man

Turtle Man Hello Darling Gold

Reputations:
    i thought it was because the south just hated new york pizza

11. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    its the water: either you love it or you hate it. So Carolina likes water that smells like a sewer.

12. Hand Banana

Reputations:
    Not agreeing with you =/= Not well read on the topic. Good job, by the way, completely ignoring Stephens wonderfully enlightening words about the black man.

South Carolina's seal features the motto "Quis separabit?" Latin for, "Who shall separate us?" Referring to the United States. I guess the answer is "A group of lovely people!"

13. Hand Banana

Reputations:
    No, it was a states rights issue. If one state (say, Nevada) legalizes heroin tomorrow, you can't just bring packets of smack into Denver and say, "It's my property!" The issue is/was states rights, and Southern states wanted nothing to do with that when Northern states didn't want to allow the subjugation and abuse of people under the fallacy that they were mere property. But living in Virginia, I imagine you're the kind of guy who watched 12 Years A Slave and thought it a wonderful comedy until the tragic ending. [And yes, that's called hyperbole - It's a joke].

14. Hand Banana

Reputations:
    Lincoln was a politician, and a complicated person, but he also wrote, "I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men every where could be free." I can't gauge anyone else's intentions, but to deny his accomplishment or try some shocking, publicity-seeking revisionism only serves to further muddy the waters of history.

15. sheet metal wor

sheet metal wor Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Seeing as my ancestors did not even come to this country until the late 1890's or so, I could care less about slavery or white guilt movies about it. My Irish ancestors were treated about as bad.

The relationship between fed/state governments today is just as if not more toxic than at that time in history.

16. Quite Frankly

Quite Frankly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    (Take it to the 19th century politics forum? Ahem)

17. fuzzynuts

fuzzynuts 99% Relevant

Reputations:
    Apples and oranges. Slavery was legal for hundreds of years and even the north had slaves during much of that time. The property rights of slaves was founded and established law for years.

18. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I read Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and the Civil War was all about Vampires.

19. Mulletude

Mulletude I'm Big In The Hate Club, Ya Know VIP

Reputations:
    This.

20. fuzzynuts

fuzzynuts 99% Relevant

Reputations:
    The struggle of the morality of slavery was a topic address for decades before the civil war. Thomas Jefferson, a Virginian, once said in regards to slavery,

"But, as it is, we have a wolf by the ear, and we can neither hold him, nor safely let him go. Justice is in one scale, and self-preservation in the other."