The Reason Why Most People Hate Flying....Other People!

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Sep 19, 2014.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Social media campaign shames some of the rudest and crudest airline passengers

Published September 18, 2014

[​IMG]
    Rude, crude and downright dirty.

A former flight attendant is publicly outing passengers who who behave badly on commercial flights --capturing them doing everything from putting their feet on the seat in front to peeing in the bathroom sink--and posting images on social media.

Shawn Kathleen, who wants to be known only by her first name, was flight attendant for seven years. Said she started “Passenger Shaming,” on Facebookand Instagram, to expose how people really act when flying.

The idea for Passenger Shaming came about after the success of her other blog, Rants Of A Sassy Stew, which she started over five years ago to catalogue her experiences as a flight attendant.

“I started by ranting about passengers and how ridiculous people are. I just said to myself really? How is this behavior acceptable you’re a grown man!” she told FoxNews.com. “The blog started becoming more popular and I got people sending things to me. They started to commiserate so I just decided to branch out.”

Her collection of photos include people's feet in places where they don't belong: in the air, on the backs of or in between of someone's seat. Also there are plenty pictures of hands where they shouldn't be either. (We won't go into further detail on that one.) Some images are down right disgusting, like the one with a bathroom basin full of urine.

The photos are submitted to Shawn Kathleen by anonymous fliers and flight attendants who want to share what they witness. The popularFacebookand Instagramsites boast about 45,000 and 60,000 followers respectively.

Shawn Kathleen, who won't reveal which airline she worked for, acknowledged that 99 percent of the passengers she has encountered act appropriately and follow the rules. But a few bad eggs do some outrageous things.

“At the beginning I started trying to come up with witty captions but the pictures really speak for themselves,” she says. “My favorites are the ones where people are trying to defend their behavior. And the bare feet just kills me. I get chest pains when I see it.”

With airlines piling on fees and cutting cabin amenities, Shawn Kathleen admits that sometimes it puts flight attendants in a difficult situation.

“As flight crew, we’re kind of crammed in, too. People forget we’re all human,” she says. “I feel flight attendants aren’t given the tools to do the job properly. We do want to give you a pillow or a blanket or extra peanuts but now we actually can’t.”

She thinks the latest instances of airplane rage, where fights over the right to recline seats broke out, are a combination of a sense of entitlement passengers feel with a purchased seat, coupled with general flight time frustration. She's offered up a handy guide for simple rules all passengers should follow to make life onboard a little easier for everyone.

1. Be respectful of everyone's personal space.

2. Watching a DVD on your laptop? Wear headphones, no one wants to hear your movie.

3. If you're bringing on food, just don’t bring a tuna fish sandwich or anything smelly. Its one meal, I think you'll survive.

4. Keep drink orders simple and don't expect flight attendants to transform into your personal barista or bartender.

5. Try to keep your socks and shirt on.

whatsit, smichal, AmishGirl and 9 others like this.
  2. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Can't imagine flying anymore.

jennyb, BadKarma, AmishGirl and 3 others like this.
  3. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:
    PEOPLE ARE FUCKING ASSHOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is why you need disinfectant wipes to wipe down everything from your try table, armrests, to the walls and windows.

[​IMG]

4. Birddog

Birddog Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    exactly why I drive everywhere. And pull a camper now cause hotels are just as bad.

smichal, BadKarma, Mulletude and 3 others like this.
  5. Chibbs

Chibbs Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, that's not an option for me.
    I'm driving more but I have to fly much of the time.

I spent 2 months in Montreal this year.
    Without question, Canadians, even the French-Canadian Quebecers, are generally polite when flying.

The worst are people from the Chicago area.
    Absolutely ZERO fucking manners.

It used to be the worst thing you dealt with was a screaming baby.

6. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    last flight i was one of the first to board. I like to sit near the back so I get my aisle seat and I am good to go.
    I see the plane filling and the last seat is right by me. Here comes a 4oo pound fiji islander. Looks like a bulldog. I step out so he can fit in. He raises both armrests and spills onto both the window seat and my seat.
    Worst fucking flight ever and the male faggit stewardess could not have given a fuck less.

so in short. Fuck fiji and their cannibals and fuck southwest airlines

7. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    I don't understand how the passengers and attendants aren't telling people to get their feet off of other people's trays and seats.

My hot coffee might "accidentally" get spilled...

8. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The problem is flying has become cheaper than driving in most instances. It's like taking the subway in Philly. Trash all over the place, screaming kids, and rude assholes.

smichal likes this.
  9. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think people are just afraid of confrontation anymore. If a flight attendant asks someone to take their feet down out of respect, the next think you know the asshole is filming it and accusing the attendant of being racist.

GloriaGrace, AmishGirl and Stern68 like this.
  10. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    I'm so sorry I went to that FB page, people are seriously animals.....

Dlist, smichal, Mulletude and 2 others like this.
  11. wigtropolis

Reputations:
    I had an asshole typing emails on his laptop next to me. Fucking elbow kept hitting me while I was sleeping. He reeked of alcohol and was a hipster doofus. I know that if I would have said anything I was going to go off on him, it would have escalated to me be being thrown off. I kept my cool, only because I was with my son.

People just don't give a fuck

12. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:
    When my son was about 9 months old, we flew to the U.S. for Christmas, during the flight I took him into the restroom and used the fold down changing table above the toilet. It probably took between 5-8 minutes to change him and I stepped out with him and the bag. Some bitch that was waiting with another couple of people in line began yelling at me. She said that she needs to go and that I don't need the restroom to change my baby, and then pointed at the floor in front of people sitting at the bulkhead. I told her to calm her ass down and pointed at the changing table and said, that's what it's there for!! She said again that I should change him on the floor, I said sure! Those passengers would love to smell diapershit! You could put your kids on the floor, and there are 6 other restrooms, use another one next time asshole!

13. wigtropolis

Reputations:
    The airlines have also come to maximum density on these flights. We are animals in the sky now. There is no luxury in flying. I don't blame people for having to spread out like this. The airlines have brought this on themselves.

14. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    This. It used to glamorous to fly, Now it's like taking a bus in the sky.

15. wigtropolis

Reputations:
    buses have more room I believe

Dlist, jennyb, smichal and 2 others like this.
  16. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    "Ladies and gentlemen, on behalf of the captain and the entire flight crew, it's my pleasure to welcome you to Mecca. Currently it's sunny with a temperature of 142 degrees. When deplaning, please be sure to collect all of your belongings from the overhead bins. I've just been informed by our ground crew that oversized luggage and all goats will be available for pickup at carousel number four.
    We realize you had a number of carriers to choose from when making your Hadj travel plans and we'd like to sincerely thank you for selecting Emirates Airlines."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  17. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    Funny, I was going to post this too, it's probably just a flight on the way home from Orlando!

Mulletude likes this.
  18. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    :D
    That could work too. But it was the large number of rags laying around that pushed me in the other direction.

Trophy Knife and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  19. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:

I see this exact scene every time I fly the long flights from L.A. to Europe and back. As you exit the plane and we pass through the business class, this is what I see everytime, there is no exaggeration in that photo at all! People are pigs, they shit on on car rentals too!

20. Mack29

Mack29 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    People in flip flops or sandals while traveling or even at a sporting event or concert drive me nuts.
    Put some real shoes on.
    What if we have to evacuate the plane. Do you want to be in a situation like that with sandals on?
    I don't want some one in front of me that can't run because of their footwear.
    How many times at concerts or sporting events is there some drunken asshole blocking a line because he/she walked out of a flip flop and now the line is log jammed while they find it and put it back on ?
    How about flip flops in a restroom at a concert. Overflowing toilets and piss all over the floor and you're in sandals. Really?
    Assholes.