The Robin Williams Interview: What did Howard do that would require to apologize to him?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Rob0729, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Ok, I just listened to the interview with Robin Williams that Howard felt so upset about his behavior thatt he supposedly spent the whole day of Williams' death obsessing over calling Williams to apologize. Based on what I heard, I would be shocked if Williams would even remember the interview and I couldn't find one single instance where Howard would be so obsessed 30 years later to apologize. I know he claims he felt bad for using Williams as a "prop", but Williams did in that interview what he did in a thousand of interviews over his career - just riff with the host and go off on tangents.

Of all the interviews Howard has done over his career, I cannot for the life of me see how this would be the one interview he would feel so obsessed about apologizing for. Just further evidence his story is bullshit to make the death of Williams be about him.

2. Bs100

Bs100 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    To be fair- the start of this interview was mostly about Stern and then he pulled Williams into a radio ad. That isn't a great look. The car lease thing would be enough to piss off a normal celebrity and his publicist. Kinda appropriation of the Robin Williams to push leases. Bad look. It is obvious that Williams took some offense if he never came back

And then the Howard/Robin schtick all over the interview is a bit annoying.

3. Rob0729

Reputations:
    It is bush league to read a live read during an interview with a guest, but is that something that would haunt Howard 30 years later?

And most celebrities when they got big enough stopped doing Howard. Howard rarely got A Listers even when he was huge. Back then, he was too controversial. Now, he is too irrelevant.

Mulletude likes this.
  4. Bs100

Bs100 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What haunted Howard is the Robin Williams never came back- even during the height of his popularity 96-2004. Robin Williams is a guy who went on almost every talk show once a year- he has done conan more than a dozen times, letterman countless, leno a lot- even craig fergueson's show a few times. Then he was always in new york doing morning shows for press, and kelly and regis etc. For him to only do one stern show- there was a rift there. Stern wasnt making it up in his mind.

5. Jayla

Jayla Ou ai-je l'esprit? Gold

Reputations:
    I'm not going to listen and will just take your word for it that it wasn't too bad. Originally I thought Wiggy crafted this ridiculous story just in case someone came across his old interview with RW and criticized him for it. - "I was unevolved and worried about my career back then!" but now I'm sure Wiggy was just looking to get him and Beef ( he mentioned her ) press off of a man's tragic death.

Bye You! likes this.
  6. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    The ad read was tacky, but things went on from there. I suspect he didn't come back because of Howard's penchant for tossing in pointless insults as "goofs" when Robin brings things up in the news about celebrities.

7. Bs100

Bs100 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I worked with a lot of SF comics around 2007- hanging out at clubs with older comics who were close friends with Williams or did stand up with him in the 70's, 80s. They all said the guy was always friendly and really patient with people to their face. If he didnt like someone, or something that happened, he would just be distant and avoid doing it again. So if he was offended by the lease read, and the "goofs" and being made to feel like he was just this famous prop for the show- it would make sense that he would go along with it and just never come back to the show.

I would imagine he has been invited quite a few times back and the show is just given a lame excuse for him not being available to come on, "maybe next time" type of deal

mothra1orbit likes this.
  8. Rob0729

Reputations:
    But why Williams? That was pretty standard with A List celebrities and Howard. George Clooney did his show before he hit really big and never again. Same with Ben Affleck, Will Ferrell, and a whole host of other A Listers. A Listers didn't do the Stern Show because Howard would ask them questions about sex and other topics that they weren't comfortable to answer. Publicists would keep most A Listers from ever doing his show.

9. Bs100

Bs100 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I am sure Howard has a long list of people he wants to apologize to/going to apologize to in hopes of getting them on the show again. Just happened that Robin Williams is the one that died. I am sure if clooney died, he would have a similar story for him (though didnt he say he ran into cloony at a party and had a nice chat with him?)

mothra1orbit likes this.
  10. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard's not sorry about the interview, it was just a way to get attention for himself and keep pushing the notion that he's evolved into a sensitive caring person who is acceptable to the mainstream. His radio career is almost over and he knows there's no market for a creepy old "shock jock" so he's trying to enhance his (and Beth's) future job possibilities. Next week he'll be back to calling women who criticize him "cunts" and making fun of minorities and the handicapped but none of that will get any media buzz because no one listens to his show. The only time he makes the news is when his PR machine press releases a bullshit story like the Robin Williams one.

11. John Coktoaston

John Coktoaston Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    gary doesn't proactively book guests - he books those who call him :artiejj:

12. Rob0729

Reputations:

In fairness to Gary, when Howard still cared, I think Gary proactively booked guests. But most A Listers said no. Now Sirius does the booking for the show getting them pool guests that go from channel to channel to channel in the building.

13. Rob0729

Reputations:

I don't believe that Howard regrets many interviews at all including the Williams' interview. He does care about creating a family friendly image and he is doing that by showing that he regrets past feuds and actions and making public amends with people like Kathie Lee Gifford and Rosie O'Donnell to show that he is a great guy.

TheLACritic and Bye You! like this.
  14. JonnySoul

JonnySoul Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's a very forgettable interview. It's not the interview. It's all the shit he said about Robin over the years. Talking about his divorce, and so forth.

Robin probably didnt lose any sleep over it, but, wouldn't go out of his way to do Howard's show. He don't need Howard And Robin did a lot of shows. A lot of them

Howard feels guilty. Oh, well. That's your legacy, Howard. Your obit will say "Shock Joke" not AGT judge or kitten lover

15. BooeyBanana

BooeyBanana Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So, is Howard now basically feeling bad about most of his career? Because if I remember correctly, he made fun of and insulted a LOT
    of folks......

Apologizing to everyone he's offended would be a full-time job! :nutz:

TheLACritic likes this.
  16. JonnySoul

Reputations:
    Through therapy, Howard has "realized" he based and made his career on making fun of people in a "shock jockey" way. Low brow, busting balls, possible mean spirited comedy.

You know, the Howard I loved

Howard has been embarrassed about his past behavior for years. The Robin Williams statement could've been about anybody. Pick a name.

Howard, if you're reading this (ha ha), if you had always done the type of shows you're doing now, you would've been out of the business and working for your Dad by the time you were 30

Embrace your past, Howard. Stop being a cowardly wimpy bitch. You can act like a man!

17. joyceface

joyceface Queen of Everything VIP

Reputations:
    Blur likes this.
  18. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't listen to the show any more, when did Howard claim he started regretting the interview? Was it immediately after or just recently? Looking back in Marksfriggin, Howard continued to make negative comments about Robin Williams for many years afterward. Here's an example from 2008:

Robin Williams Divorce Discussed. 03/27/08. 8:10am
    Howard said that he has been angry with Robin Williams for a long time now. He said that he had him on the show years ago and the guy didn't really come out and talk about the stuff that was going on with him and his nanny. Now he's coming out and talking about it years later. Howard said that he called her the nanny and Robin got very upset with him and went out and bad mouthed him to the press.
    Howard said he told Robin (Williams) that she was his babysitter and he didn't know why that was so horrible. He said that Robin went out and did an interview where he asked when that was going to stop. Howard said that he'll probably come out and use that in his act. He said that the guy is full of shit and he's just now coming out and talking about how that's when they did meet, when she was watching his kids.

TheLACritic and Bye You! like this.
  19. rhoads80

rhoads80 EVangeLIst

Reputations:
    Has Wiggy ever ripped or had people talk bad about Robin after the interview, and I mean years after? This is early in his career. He's great at burning bridges and getting others to throw dirt. Some people prefer to stay out of the viper den. Williams didn't need him and I have a feeling top celebs ripped on Howard behind his back.

20. JonnySoul

Reputations:
    I would love to see the interview either in print or video where Robin Williams ever mentioned Howard. Never happened