the robot apocalypse has begun

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by koclem, Oct 4, 2013.

1. koclem

koclem .|..O..|. VIP Banned User

Reputations:
    in just a few years guns wont be helping much

[video=youtube;wE3fmFTtP9g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE3fmFTtP9g[/video]
    [video=youtube;2jvLalY6ubc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jvLalY6ubc[/video]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  2. Brokenbad

Brokenbad Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thing runs like a girl.
    6ianica rescue wing will need a robot cat rescue.

3. La Flama Blanca

La Flama Blanca Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    We would never hear that thing coming!

4. Pembroke36

Pembroke36 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;uOBF-sbMulA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOBF-sbMulA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

5. Daemon

Daemon Asshole

Reputations:
    Should we be worried about the creators of the robots, or the robots themselves?

"We’re not used to thinking of them this way. But many advanced military weapons are essentially robotic — picking targets out automatically, slewing into position, and waiting only for a human to pull the trigger. Most of the time. Once in a while, though, these machines start firing mysteriously on their own. The South African National Defence Force "is probing whether a software glitch led to an antiaircraft cannon malfunction that killed nine soldiers and seriously injured 14 others during a shooting exercise on Friday.""

(http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2007/10/robot-cannon-ki/)

How the hell are the robots firing on their own?? I read about another type of robot called SWORDS, which were deployed in Iraq.

"Fahey’s answer was vague, but he confirmed that the robots never opened fire when they weren’t supposed to. His understanding is that “the gun started moving when it was not intended to move.†In other words, the SWORDS swung around in the wrong direction, and the plug got pulled fast. No humans were hurt, but as Fahey pointed out, “once you’ve done something that’s really bad, it can take 10 or 20 years to try it again.â€"

"There were three cases of uncommanded movements, but all three were prior to the 2006 safety certification, she says. “One case involved a loose wire. So, now there is now redundant wiring on every circuit. One involved a solder, a connection that broke. everything now is double-soldered.†The third case was a test were the robot was put on a 45 degree hill and left to run for two and a half hours. “When the motor started to overheat, the robot shut the motor off, that caused the robot to slide back down the incline,†she says. “Those are the three uncommanded movements.â€"

(http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/news-as-cyberpunk/machines-are-attacking-humans-run-for-your-lives/)

It seems like if anything goes wrong, the SWORDS start to target non-enemies. Loose wire, target friendlies. Solder connection broken, target friendlies. What happens when robots like these are involved in combat and take significant damage? It doesn't take much to turn them hostile to everyone.

People are afraid robots would attack humans if AI advanced far enough that the robots became self-aware. Looks like they don't have to be self-aware in order for them to target friendly humans. As warfare becomes more robotic, expect more fuck ups building them.

6. OCDlikeaMF

OCDlikeaMF Active Member

Reputations:
    I wouldn't worry about it, It probably runs on windows. We got way more shit to figure out, like cancer, getting off fossil fuels and how to get along with others in the world. Im sure as soon as investors and money is brought into the company, im sure the inventors will murder each other. I think the thing to be scared of is Google trying to take over the world. Google is trying to increase internet bandwidth with their Google branded internet service as well as getting internet service to places that can't receive broadband. Not to mention they're in the phone business and trying to get into providing television....

7. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    Well that was a waste of millions.

8. Halloween

Halloween Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I used to work in the building next to these guys. Nearly had a heart attack the first time I saw one of their test drives in the parking lot.

9. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    When those things move, it looks like something out of an old Nine Inch Nails video.

10. hollywoodrose

hollywoodrose Member VIP

Reputations:
    I saw these clips years ago, very disturbing but funny too. All you need is an EMP - or maybe a dog bone made of microchips. :dontknow:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  11. fuzzynuts

fuzzynuts 99% Relevant

Reputations:
    I wouldn't count guns out. A few well placed shots on those noisy heaps would shut them right down.

12. koclem

koclem .|..O..|. VIP Banned User

Reputations:
    in 10 years cops will have armor plated versions in every city, any bs will be squashed

13. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    I love it when robots kiss

14. fuzzynuts

fuzzynuts 99% Relevant

Reputations:
    Robo Cop was a prophesy.