The Sad Slow And Soon Death Of An American Icon....

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Dec 6, 2014.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Sears' Closing of 235 Stores Is a Long Way From Its Glory Days

Dec 5, 2014, 3:40 PM ET
    By SUSANNA KIM

Business Digital Reporter

[​IMG]

Customers shop for home goods in the Sears Roebuck store in Syracuse, New York in October, 1941.
    FSA

Sears was once a sparkling star of the retail world going back to the days before there was such a thing as a chain store, but this week the company reported another quarterly loss and the shuttering of 235 under-performing stores this year.

In its third quarter results announced on Thursday, Sear Holdings, the parent of the namesake department store and Kmart, announced a loss of $296 million compared to $310 million in the same period a year ago.

Sears Holdings was formed in 2005 when Sears and Kmart merged. The number of stores it will close increased from the 130 stores it announced about three months ago.

"We remain intently focused on delivering an unparalleled integrated retail experience for our customers through Shop Your Way and above all, returning Sears Holdings to profitability," CEO of Sears Holdings since January 2013 Eddie Lampert said in a statement on Thursday.

Business wasn't always tough for Sears.

The first Sears store gained fame with rural folks and farmers through its mail-order business. Those early Sears catalogs featured jewelery and watches, but the company quickly added a vast array of items, including a "Stradivarius model violin" for $6.10, according to Sears Archives. At times, the catalog was free and other times it cost 50 cents.

[​IMG]
    Fotosearch/Getty Images
    PHOTO: An advertisement for ladies corsets and underskirts by Sears, Roebuck & Co., circa 1897.

Richard Sears started the R.W. Sears Watch Company in Minneapolis in 1886, back when there weren't even 40 states in the union, according to Sears Archives. Sales in 1893 were more than $400,000. Two years later, when the Sears catalog was 532-pages long, sales were more than $750,000, according to the archives.

It wasn't until 1931 that Sears store sales topped mail-order sales for the first time. Stores accounted for 53.4 percent of total sales of more than $180 million, according to the archives.

[​IMG]
    Fotosearch/Getty Images
    PHOTO: The storefront of a Sears, Roebuck and Co. store is seen in El Paso, Texas, circa 1940.

When World War II began in 1941, Sears had more than 600 stores.

[​IMG]
    Jack Manning/Three Lions/Getty Images
    PHOTO: A customer receives a cosmetic consultation in Sears Roebuck department store in Caracas, Venezuela, circa 1955.

Sears' first retail store outside the U.S. was in Havana, Cuba, in 1942. Five years later, a store opened in Mexico City, followed by additional stores in Europe and Central and South America. Eventually in 1953, the company made a foray into Canada.

[​IMG]
    Carlos Osorio/Toronto Star/Getty Images
    PHOTO: The doors of the Sears at the Eaton Center mall are seen closed for the last time on Feb. 23, 2014 in Toronto.

Sears was the nation’s largest retailer by revenue until the late 1980s, when Walmart surpassed it. Around that time, the annual Sears “wish book” was a must-read for children in the months before Christmas.

Today, Sears’ revenue lags behind those of a handful of other stores, such as Target, Costco and Best Buy. Like many department stores, the company these days has been hit by flailing in-store electronics sales, in part due to steep competition from the Internet.

Sears Holdings, which has more than 1,830 Sears and Kmart stores, said in its earnings announcement that the company "expects to migrate the shopping activity of highly engaged members who previously shopped closed stores to alternative channels."

2. slats7

slats7 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Radio Shack: "Ha Ha!"

3. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    As long you can still get Craftsmen tools.. who cares

It was embarrassing when Mom got my school clothes from Sears

icypussy, smichal, reno and 4 others like this.
  4. Hugh Blowmont

Hugh Blowmont Just be funny

Reputations:
    Thanks Obama...

5. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Although I did love that fukin Wish Book... would make notes and earmark pages

6. kev

kev Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think the last time I was in a Sears was to get a free replacement for my broken Craftsman ratchet. (Too bad they don't have the same warranty on their shitty torque wrenches)

Can't state a specific reason why I don't shop there, maybe because most of them are in malls and who the fuck wants to deal with that BS? Also distance, I think the closest one is ~30 miles away, while Wally world is way closer. Yes I go to Walmart, but in today's world there aren't many alternatives since, in my area at least, there aren't very many locally owned alternatives. I would love for there to be a hardware store in my town so I don't have to drive 15 minutes to Lowes if I need a random nut or bolt for some project I'm working on.

smichal likes this.
  7. TheWonk

TheWonk POTY Music Forum Gold

Reputations:
    Howard related because he used to be an American icon and is slowly dying.

8. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Well-Known Member

Reputations:

I jumped into this thread thinking it was about the evolution of the Howard Stern Show.

Always liked the idea of having a few Sears stores within 10 miles of each other.
    Do we blame the demise of Sears on Obama, Bush II, Clinton, Bush I, or Reagan?

9. Anyonenow

Anyonenow Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Nope.
    They(shitty management) did it all themselves.

10. sheet metal wor

sheet metal wor Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    When I was a kid, there where only two places to see poon, the Sears catalog and the topless African women of National Geographic magazine

11. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Fuck them right in the pussy. Shit hr practices. Shit prices. Started carrying chink made tools. Goodnight.

12. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Toughskins!

RumBalls, blindbella, smichal and 5 others like this.
  13. zhukov

zhukov Time traveler Gold

Reputations:
    sure, but you still look good in your Tuffskins.

smichal, 1Vegasgirl and crazypreacher like this.
  14. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Them bush women had some floppy titties...

RenchFries likes this.
  15. SillyOldMan

SillyOldMan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They showed poon in the sears catalog? LOL! For what product? Sheer panties?

skylarbrie likes this.
  16. sheet metal wor

sheet metal wor Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I didn't think that through........sears was just bra panties and garter girdles on human women...lol

TeeDonkey likes this.
  17. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    I've heard the Craftsman tools are not nearly the same quality that they used to be.

I used to get clothes from Sears when I was a little kid, too - I didn't care, though. I didn't realize we were poor until I was an adult. When I tell my girls they are lucky we all have nice things it goes in one ear and out the other. Come to think of it, I'm going to Sears tomorrow and buying them some scratchy-ass cheap clothes for xmas.

markluke, blindbella, smichal and 7 others like this.
  18. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    Good tools but I bought their top of the line Sears brand lawn mower and a Kenmore vacuum cleaner. Both sucked and didn't last as long as I would have expected considering the prices. At one time their own brands were gold - produced by the higher quality manufacturers to their exacting standards. Those days are obviously in the rear view mirror. Still it's sad to see retail icons like Sears and before them, Montgomery Ward wither and die.

smichal, FosterKitten and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  19. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    i've never been to a sear's but it's sad to see it go....it was americana in so many ways (unlike walmart which has a vile and predatory business model.
    the america i grew up in is gone.

smichal, reno, baci and 2 others like this.
  20. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    when we where kids before Christmas we would go through and circle things we would like and put our initials beside it. One year I circled a Teddy Ruxpin and a MY Buddy and wrote my brothers initials on it and we made fun of my brother for many Christmases asking if he want any more doll babies.

Petal, blindbella, smichal and 4 others like this.