The scam that is the NSAL

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Javaforgotme, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Javaforgotme

Javaforgotme Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    The NSAL is located in one of the more expensive places to live on the North Shore of Long Island. The facility is beautiful. Obviously - it takes a lot of money to keep the place open. I adopted two dogs from there. The hospital they've built is an awesome animal hospital - most people would be happy to be treated there.

To be able to justify the need for $$$ donations NSAL is a clearing house for dogs and cats from other parts of the country. They actually bring in animals from other states so they continue to have a supply.

None of this is bad. They do good work. But lets be clear, the NSAL is the "Beverly Hills" of dog and cat rescue.

Like many non-for-profit - they have to spend all they get - on salaries, building costs, etc. So - don't think they're poor. They are very rich.

HS and BOS should help out some other shelter - one that smells like crap when you walk in the door -which is every other animal shelter I've ever been in.

HS and BOS could really help out some poor shelter that is doing good work, but in need of funds.

Instead, they dedicate their time earning more money for a place that has more money than Detroit.:shit:

2. Deodato

Deodato New Member

Reputations:
    I have to admit I don't care about animals a whole lot. Recently on the can I was reading a late 90s US mag article about how Bill Maher was against animal testing and Melissa Etheridge was for it. I agree with Melissa.

3. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm supporting Beth's efforts by buying a purebred dog from a reputable breeder.

4. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Beth and Howard don't care. They Don't see the irony in naming a dog shelter after their pure bred 6ian7a.

5. Kaii

Kaii Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Truthfully it's a no kill place who find homes for even the most troubled animals so what if the people running it make money. It's not their fault some gold digger is trying to live off their good work

6. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  7. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    _DSC0554.jpg
    'its the only way to go'- Beef O

8. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:

If it's testing for a life saving drug, OK maybe I'll agree but if it's testing for beauty products,etc and animals have to have a bad reaction or die so some low self esteem human can have their fake beauty, then fuck it no. Total bullshit. Test it yourself.

9. SleepingWarrior

SleepingWarrior Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Sure, NSAL doesn't "kill" but they have no problems shipping off unwanted animals to shelters that will kill the animals for them...

10. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    if beff and boff are involved, it's a scam. Thank you. :hat:

11. AGT Blows

AGT Blows Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fixed

12. Deodato

Deodato New Member

Reputations:
    Testing for diseases, yes.

13. LaserT

Reputations:
    Agree.

14. LaserT

Reputations:
    [TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TH="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"] [/TH]
    [TH="class: centerme, bgcolor: #EEEEEE, align: center"]Score (out of 70)[/TH]
    [TH="class: centerme, bgcolor: #EEEEEE, align: center"]Rating
    FYE 12/2011[/TH]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Overall[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]39.56[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Financial[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]28.39[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: bottom"] Accountability & Transparency[/TD]
    [TD="class: bottom, align: center"]59.00[/TD]
    [TD="class: bottom, align: center"][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

NSAL rated one of the worst charities. They are smoke and mirrors.

15. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    I do financial reviews for my living, and so I pulled the Form 990s on NSAL. A few thoughts: the organization has an incredibly bloated executive structure that results in far less than 50% of revenues being directed into core programmatic activities. The salaries, each on their own merits, are not that high for the classification or area of expertise; it's just that, taken as a whole, NSAL looks like a marketing firm, not a non profit. There is WAY TOO MUCH "friends who needs jobs" type expenditures in the ranks.

Now, the weird thing is that I cannot make sense of their revenue source, as fundraising brings in a very small fraction of their revenues and actually costs more to administer than brings in. More to the point, a lot of line items are either too high for the type of non- profit (legal, accounting) or are odd on their own right (notes receivable? Inventory? What's going on there). The charity is running in the red despite some huge inflows of revenue year over year.

This is a white collar job corps; not an animal charity.

In sum, there are no "badges of fraud," per se; but a lot of sloppy accounting entries and unexplained bloat that might lead to that conclusion.

16. LaserT

Reputations:
    How does the President of this charity and "rescue" make over $400,000 a year???

17. Captain

Reputations:
    It's a good question. I'm based in the Bay Area and I would demand due diligence on any org this size where the top dog is making more than 250k. That said, the other salaries do appear appropriate ON THEIR OWN. It's just that they appear unnecessary or duplicative when viewed in relation to the org as a whole

18. Javaforgotme

Javaforgotme Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I looked at the 990's too - but don't have the background, so I couldn't make too much sense of them.

Hey - how about looking at the 990's for the 15 Foundation? I wonder if there's a story there between the lines?:dontknow:

19. Captain

Reputations:
    15 Foundation: 1) right off the bat, there are two major tax "traps" reported on lines 26 and 28(c) that appear to be "related party" transactions, which is an audit flag. Money is going to or from the entity and some insider for reasons that are not related to compensation; so the question is why? Is it a "loan?" Why and on what terms? See part IV and IV where we discover that Robin furnished an interest bearing loan to the org to get it started and that another board member had the board hire her catering company to provide services.

2) this has all the appearance of a "pet project" charity: two years of filings, no revenues, unclear mission statement. Again, the costs of fund raising exceeded the benefits. While the 15 foundation did contribute 75k to two Bay Area "vegucation" charities, it hardly justifies the salary and fundraising outlays.

3) the exec and trustees report rather low weekly time commitments for a fledgling org. On the bright side, they were not compensated (well, see Ms Caterer above for indirect comp). And this org is toast, so we have that to be thankful for too.