The Sopranos fans... closure?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Shivvy, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Shivvy

Shivvy 100k Post Club

Reputations:
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/08/27/david-chase-finally-reveals-tonys-fate-on-the-sopranos/

[​IMG]

For the past seven years, the final scene of The Sopranos has had viewers and fans scratching their heads over what the heck happened. It was perhaps the most divisive series finale of all time, leading legions of people to think their televisions went out and spawning a plethora of close readings of Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’.”

Did the guy in the ‘Members Only’ jacket whack him? Were the onion rings a crispy and delicious source of symbolism about the circle of life for Tony? What was up with Meadow’s parallel parking? Questions about that scene never ceased, and Chase’s elusiveness over Tony’s fate only furthered speculation. In-depth fan sites were spawned just over the ending alone. Even Michael Imperioli, who played Christopher Moltisanti in the show (and was tragically whacked episodes before the finale) thought Tony died.

Perhaps sick of answering questions about an event that happened seven years ago, Sopranos creator David Chase finally let a sliver of info out on Tony Soprano’s whereabouts at end of the HBO series. In an article on Vox, writer Martha P. Nochimson questions Chase on whether Tony dies in the finale. Chase’s simple reply: “‘He shook his head ‘no.’ And he said simply, ‘No he isn’t.'”

Sorry, Imperioli and the rest of the Tony-was-whacked believers—your theory’s debunked. Chase’s nonchalance notwithstanding, Sopranos fans can breath a sigh of relief knowing that Tony’s enjoying some onion rings somewhere, post-blacked-out screen.

2. baltimore mike

baltimore mike I wear panties 24/7 364

Reputations:
    Fuck Chase

Shamrock12 likes this.
  3. Ridic

Ridic Too ridic to quit Banned User

Reputations:
    I am excited for the movie even more now that Tony will still be in it. Have they started filming it yet? Haven't seen Gandolfini in anything for a while.

4. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    So much for the "it is so obvious that he was killed" crowd. The ending sucked......plain and simple.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    AmishGirl, Hateman and ShutupMoron like this.
  5. nfbuckeye

nfbuckeye Beam me up, Mr. Speaker. VIP

Reputations:
    Fuck that. Him dying is the only ending that makes sense.

6. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    David Chase is just trolling.

Shamrock12 likes this.
  7. fletchman71

fletchman71 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If Tony didn't get whacked why end the series like that?

AmishGirl likes this.
  8. Ridic

Reputations:
    If he did get whacked why not show it?

9. Ridic

Reputations:
    I like the way the show ended. No closure needed IMO.

10. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If he didn't die it makes the ending that much lamer.

AmishGirl likes this.
  11. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    Always said he wasn't dead, and anyone who watched the series and paid attention knew that. The show didn't keep secrets, we always knew what was happening in Tony's life and the lives of people around him. While many of the events were shocking, we were observers of everything. The show was not written from Tony's point of view. So for Chase to completely change course, only for a final scene would make no sense.

it faded to black because we were no longer there--fin

Seabiscuit likes this.
  12. freds

freds you broke it VIP

Reputations:
    exactly.

Ridic likes this.
  13. Mlaw

Reputations:
    life never has closure, my opinion is that was the entire point of the ending

Ridic likes this.
  14. freds

freds you broke it VIP

Reputations:
    i wish Walter White wasn't dead.

watching the crew on the Emmys made me miss the show. again.

15. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Feel the Gern

Reputations:
    Where's the guy with the Furio avatar ?

Hateman likes this.
  16. WillyBest

WillyBest Achiever Gold

Reputations:
    Tony always said "there are only two ways this can end. With me dead, or me in jail." Tony's not in jail, so you figure it out.

Best explanation of the ending ever. Worth the read!

http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/

“If you look at the final episode really carefully, it’s all there.”* These are David Chase’s words regarding the finale of the Sopranos. He is right, it is “all there”. This is the definitive explanation as to why Tony died in Holsten’s in the final scene of The Sopranos. The following is based on a thorough analysis of the final season of the show and will clear up one of the most misunderstood endings in film or television history. Chase took almost two years to construct the final season of the show after the fifth season ended in June of 2004. The ending was orchestrated years in advance and is the culmination of an artist in complete control of his vision. Part 1 will demonstrate how Chase directed, edited and scored the final scene of the Sopranos to lead to the interpretation that Tony was shot in the head in Holsten’s and how this ties into the “never hear it happen” concept that Chase hammered into the viewer before the show’s final scene. This explanation will be supported by words from David Chase himself, including a very revealing, largely unknown, radio interview of Chase in April of 2008. Part I will also discuss (and debunk) the other theories about the end including the “Tony always looking over his shoulder” interpretation. Part II will concentrate on what Tony’s death means and how his death was thematically constructed throughout the final season. Part III will focus on the use of symbolism in Holsten’s. Part IV will focus on The Godfatherinfluence on the final season and Tony’s death. Part V will focus on how the final episode and final scene are linked to America’s war on terrorism. Part VI will concentrate on the “fun stuff” created by Chase and his creative team to foreshadow Tony’s death. Part VII will discuss the possible inspiration of two films on the ending of The Sopranos. Part VIII will speculate as to who may have killed Tony. Part IX will discuss the influence of Stanley Kubrick’s2001:A Space Odyssey on the “point of view” pattern in the final scene. Some of these topics will overlap but the ultimate conclusion is the same: Tony’s death is the only ending that makes sense.

Scotty4x4 likes this.
  17. Shivvy

Shivvy 100k Post Club

Reputations:

someone (possibly you) posted that link a while ago. i wasted the whole morning at work reading it :c

WillyBest likes this.
  18. Mlaw

Reputations:
    Complete and utter fantasy---Chase did no plan the ending in advance, in fact none of the seasons were planned in advance because Chase never dreamed that the show would stay on the air.

Read this book---no that much thought went into it

[​IMG]

19. Dream Theater

Dream Theater DAWGS E-BULLY Squad Gold

Reputations:
    Me too! :cheer:

20. koam

koam Playa' Pimp

Reputations:
    I had a Furio avatar at SFN