The Stern Show Curse has ruined SNL's ratings

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by chapped, Oct 12, 2014.

1. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Since Stern's embrace of all things SNL last year
    the show's ratings have taken a free fall...

This has been a particularly busy year for the Stern Show Curse from Melissa McCarthy's Tammy
    to neil patrick harris movies taking a massive shit just to name a few

Remember when the Stern Bump was all about massive ratings as Stern's fans would
    consume or follow all things blessed by Stern?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Well those days are long gone....
    The Stern Bump....making a difference

‘Saturday Night Live’ Ratings Hit Low With Host Bill Hader

The ratings for NBC’s venerable late-night program started sliding last season, and the slump continues this fall. Ironically, with one of the members of SNL‘s most recent golden generation, Hader, back as host, SNL hit lows in the ratings.

Last night, Saturday Night Live hosted by Hader averaged a 3.8 rating in metered-market households and a 1.8 in adults 18-49 in the Local People Meters. That was down a tenth in each category from last week’s show hosted by Sarah Silverman (3.9, 1.9) and a season low. The Hader-hosted show tied the May 10 telecast hosted by Charlize Theron as the lowest rated SNL ever in household and 18-49 ratings.

https://deadline.com/2014/10/saturday-night-live-ratings-low-bill-hader-849973/

2. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Stern is certainly not central to the ratings success or failure of other TV shows...and never really was, except for his own guest appearances on talk shows. Now he's not a factor for them anymore either.

In my opinion, SNLs declining ratings are a product of two main factors:

1.) Network television shows are in overall decline, as the younger generation seeks entertainment elsewhere and in other forms. SNL is just a skit show. You can see funnier sketches on YouTube & many other places, and you don't have to sit through a ton of commercials. Musical guests? Meh. I can view any music video, or concert footage or download any song I want.

2.) Lorne Michaels has turned off a huge portion of the potential audience because he's a political sellout. While they do have an Obama character in some of the skits, he's just there to move the story along -- Rarely is he or his policies the butt of the joke. That's a bullshit way for a comedy program to conduct business. Every occupant of the oval office has been a mere mortal. None of them are above ridicule.

3. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    SNL's current slump is largely a consequence of the intersection of two distinct problems - one longstanding and one new - but both of which land squarely on the shoulders of Lorne Michaels:

1) He deviated from the standard SNL practice of introducing new talent at the same gradual pace in which the established stars are cycled out. This has resulted in the current cast being comprised of almost complete unknowns. There are no household names and Kenan Thompson is about the only recognizable face.

2) Problem number one is then greatly exacerbated by the fact that Lorne allowed Tina Fey to alienate much of the historic SNL audience during her reign of terror as the head writer. The hyper political and highly partisan tone that has been the hallmark of the show for well over a decade now has eliminated much of the conservative audience across the board. Add to that the fact that the show just hasn't been very funny on any objective level, and viewership among even more liberal leaning viewers has likely suffered, as well. The metrosexual hipster set already has a place to go see snarky leftist douchebags be unfunny. They can just tune in to Stewart or Colbert. They don't need to wait a week and stay up until midnight to see more of the same.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  4. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    Sorry Samurai, we were posting at the same time. :D

I started my post and then got sidetracked watching the Talking Dead, so I didn't see yours until after posting mine. Nevertheless, great minds think alike. ;) :jj:

smichal and cia212 like this.
  5. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    All good. I agree with your point regarding Michael's failure to gradually cycle in new talent. Also agree that Tina Fey was a major factor in the partisan shift within the show. She's mildly funny and vastly overrated. I tried a few times to get interested in 30 Rock, but it just never grew on me. All I saw was a lot of overacting and forced quirkiness for quirkiness sake.

CrucifiedAGT, ARM and Head Censor like this.
  6. Bentknee

Bentknee Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The reason for the drop in ratings is simple, the show is an unfunny piece of shit and has been for a long time. I think people watched it because it was the thing to do, but have come to realize that it sucks so much that it is not worth watching.

7. DinnerSocks

DinnerSocks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They're too busy counting how many minorities they have on the cast and writing staff instead of just hiring funny, talented people. That's like saying "I would love it if my favorite football team had an all white secondary!" That is until they got smoked by lightning quick, black WRs. The current state of SNL is what happens when you chose not to run your organization strictly as a meritocracy. That's how you end up with the PC, left wing, "alternative" comedy, snooze fest with nary a laugh to be had in 90 minutes that it's become!

8. unclefreddy

unclefreddy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There's absolutely no reason to watch a show that might only have 2 at most good skits -all of which (if your even interested) can watch the next day -why sit through an hour an a half of shit skits.
    SNL should be cancelled.

9. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Hader was the best host they've had in a while. But it's hard to overcome the previous 2 weeks of horribly unfunny nonsense...last week was one of the worst ever.

And I agree with Samurai and Head Censor - the show has become a leftist political ad rather than a satirical look at current events. And the writing is insultingly bad.

10. popspot13

popspot13 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Simply put, SNL is awful. The writing has been terrible for years and it continues to stink. There is virtually no originality and the skits primarily either spoof a television show/movie or are an original skit resulting in cheap fart gags. You can argue that over the past decade, they've had some of the most talented performers, but absolute garbage material. I was in the television business for quite some time and I would not use the excuse of audience fragmentation, delayed viewing, or anything else here besides the prime reason of the show simply being poor. Most weeks it's simply a bad product.

smichal likes this.
  11. Lou Skunt

Lou Skunt ____________________ Banned User

Reputations:
    Lisa G...her 15 minutes has expired. Hopefully she follows suit soon.

smichal likes this.
  12. jyanks

jyanks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Why is this new kid Pete Davidson getting all this good press. Just because his dad was killed on 9/11?? Every thing I see him do sucks. His bits during update are awful. Just awful.
    Last season was such a shitty year and I swore they couldn't get any worse. Yet they have proven me wrong with the few episodes they have had so far.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    BeerCanThick and smichal like this.
  13. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    SNL didnt read Bob leftowitz column
    THSS the greatest promotiom platform ha!
    all HS does is promote SNL in the live and mammory lane shows and that was Bill Haders second show appearance

BeerCanThick likes this.
  14. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    yeah that Pete Davidson is a Bob Levy protege
    he sucks
    the whole new News team suck

BeerCanThick and smichal like this.
  15. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    It's hard to believe that the skits shown are the ones that made it. The "best" ones. How bad must the other ones be to NOT make it on air? Or is it possible that they are generally funny, but don't appeal to Lorne's sense of humor. The music, too, is shit. Total fucking garbage SHIT. You don't even have to watch the acts. Just Google musical guests on SNL for the last 40 years and 90% are nobodies. Not even one hit wonders. Maybe Michaels is just rolling the dice hoping that they had this great band on when they were nobody. If so, then Las Vegas ought to welcome him with open arms, because he's lost virtually every roll he's thrown.
    Last season and this one will be lost to the ages because of his attempt to make this "In Living Color". The talent is a joke. Maybe THE joke.

BeerCanThick, imissalison and smichal like this.
  16. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Fun Fact......
    Team Stern slug-line uttered by Robin,Fred,Booey, and Hein is.....Howard has brought credibility to AGT.

RATINGS>credibility

BeerCanThick, Benjamen and smichal like this.
  17. Yeahnolisten

Yeahnolisten Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "Robin, they keep switching the time of the show-nobody knows when SNL is on anymore - I always move the needle"

18. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    according to me, one of the big problem is the use of recurring characters. They're not even in different situations.
    It's like 99% the exact same sketch over and over again, like the damn Target lady or the Vogelchecks.

I do like the new guy called Kevin? Kyle? Mooney.

BeerCanThick and ARM like this.
  19. FrstTimeLngTme

FrstTimeLngTme Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Most of the cast for the past couple of seasons just seem like they're playing to the camera for their friends at home in a "Look, I'm on SNL" way. That chick that did the news last season especially. Watched a couple of skits and the news from the Chris Pratt episode and it was the same. The black guy doing the news now can barely speak. Harrible. Of course, people were saying the same thing at the beginning of the Will Farrel / Cheri O'Teri / Tracey Morgan years too.

BeerCanThick, jyanks and smichal like this.
  20. imissalison

imissalison f**k Mutt

Reputations:
    The 220 lb chick and the black chick are harrable. They don't even belong in a high school play.