The Stern Show's Terminal Affliction - When Did You First Suspect and Then Just Know?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by OV, Apr 23, 2015.

1. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    ... that "It's over Johnny"

Was it Jackie's departure?

Billy's? Artie's Heroin Nods no longer being comic fodder?

Or maybe the relentless Ted Kennedy imitations long after he was relevant?

The same stale Joan Rivers type guests and drivel ad nauseum?

The censorship of any critical callers with the daily enabling shillers like The Crow from Brooklyn, and Bobo?

The kissing up to enemy celebs like Kathy Lee, Rosie and Chevy? Or what?

For me the seminal moment in which I first began suspecting the show might be in terminal decline was Beefus's shilling of Giftscriptions.

When I just knew the show was beyond the point of no return was when Benjy started playing a more active feeding Howard "jokes" and as an on air "personality."

How about you? When did you start getting an inkling that the show was heading towards a bad ending?

And when did you realize that certain?

LaserT, reno, Senator Rick and 13 others like this.
  2. ApeFace

ApeFace Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    After Artie left and the live commercial reads were being injected into the news everyday, I bailed.

3. The Booey

The Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Suspected: when they stopped having writing sessions after each show

Knew for sure: Mr. Methane was on trying to fart 1000 times in 45 minutes and Howard was laughing as hard at the end of the bit as he was at the start.

DuckDong, reno, teehee and 3 others like this.
  4. AxlCorey

AxlCorey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard started getting lazy and let Artie drone on and on. For the first time you could tell Howard didn't care if he was creating most of the content.

....but I knew for sure when he made the "I'll piss on my fans comment".

5. ApeFace

ApeFace Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I love lots of low brow humor, but Howard has never been less funny than when he has these farting people on. It's gross and it goes on forever. Fartman, Will the Farter, Debbie the queefer, Mr. methane, all terrible. If that asshole had ever made a Fartman movie it would have been the death rattle for his career.

6. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    when they made a big announcement about Wig & boeuf getting engaged

7. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:
    Giftscriptions, Howard loving cats, Artie departure, schufferring shschucatash.

8. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    I wasn't there cognitively as of yet, but admittedly when Howard started slathering the BBQ guy, Steve Raichlin as an obvious quid pro quo payment for his new state of the art model (I forget the brand) and Audi8 for an important buying decision when we all knew he gets Mini Driver'ed most everywhere sort of subconsciously raised some hackles.

9. The Jackie chair

The Jackie chair Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    When the string of players Billy, Jackie and Stuttering John left the show lost its childish silly raunchy humor but it took Artie just taking over the show for me to to realize that gunk had nothing without them.

10. Beffquus

Beffquus Scripta sunt in stellis Gold

Reputations:
    The end of "real" callers which had led to the discovery of some great whackpackers, along with the beginning of the big suck-up to folks he previously mocked interminably to where you'd often cringe.

Ironic that the move to supposedly free form radio led to more structure and less risk. Maybe he REALLY needed the ratings book to stay juiced.

Would also throw in the death of Friday shows - those were some of the most edgy because he really hated being there.

11. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    Howard thinking he could actually carry a show without any comedic talent in the chair. Period.

12. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    So true. I never got the laughter, and especially the phony laughs by Robin, to something that was never fun or funny.

13. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah, hated that.

14. underbocky

underbocky Active Member

Reputations:
    listener since day one LA. for me i started tripping with the divorce saga when before he had fostered(no pun) the idea of stern as everyman, miserable and married. we were then given a divorce "show" which was a couple hours howard had to throw away 20 plus years of cultivated personality, private parts anyone? of course thankfully he couldnt spill all because of laywers, not because he didnt want to.
    the finality for me was the first valentines day at sirius when howard censored lisa g story on his gift to beth. by that time he had shape shifted into the (r)evolution and left anyone who thought he was ever honest behind. i had some kind of disconnect that i just fukn never thought to question him until he pitched a fit about his gift, like we didnt know he was now a filthy rich fucker who could by his prize anything he would want to. that started the beth is part of the show but isnt part of the show contradiction that causes mental confusion. for me as a fan i felt more into the show when it was an fm entity and all the tension of that circumstance, satellite is stern proclaiming revolution while clandestinely or overtly censoring. that kind of contradictory disconnect fosters confusion and distrust.

drewjube, Samurai, blindbella and 7 others like this.
  15. playitagainfred

playitagainfred Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    suspected when the show became 2 hours of "tradio" calls. knew when they started taking 2 month summer vacations. i bailed.

smichal, Beffquus, OV and 2 others like this.
  16. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    For me it was the Steven Stills interview.

Howard kept asking the same old Howard questions. "Have you ever had anal?, Have you ever had a threesome?" etc.

And Stills just couldn't be bothered with such shit. Stills obviously had anything he wanted sexually during his hay day, Howard being a ten year old asking about it was just tiresome.

17. Quality Control

Quality Control dove Gold

Reputations:
    I hung in for longer than I should have because I didn't pay enough attention to all the crap to piece everything together. I remember the exact day when I started thinking that the show, and Howard, was losing its shine. The day he signed on to do AGT, when Buchwald came in with the contract and Howard signed on air. After that it seemed every show was dedicated to hours of AGT talk and nothing else. If he wasn't boasting about how he was the best thing to ever happen to AGT and television, he was complaining about the AGT schedule. It became too much AGT, a show I'd never watched and didn't care to watch just because of Howard. So I started tuning out more regularly, until finally I didn't listen at all anymore.

Thank you, @SomerSky! I keep trying to give you reps but I get the message about spreading them around to other people first. LOL. You got it coming, lady! :-D

Thank you, @1Vegasgirl! :-D

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  18. guruhugz

guruhugz Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I stopped listening completely at wiggy saying he will piss on me.

Wiggy is just a scary-looking old man that needs to retire.

Howard Stern has no listeners. The birthday bash videos have 30,000 views after over a year.

cah155, A. Genius, Tr000otgr and 4 others like this.
  19. teehee

teehee Friend Of The Friendless VIP

Reputations:
    That x one thousand. So cheap that he made Benjy head writer…The :bethsucks: made me want to slap him..

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  20. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    ^well said