The Sullivan brothers

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by LaserT, May 26, 2015.

1. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    Was watching Saving Private Ryan tonight and thought of "The Fighting Sullivans", which my mother made me watch when I was very young. Still watch it to this day, it I ever see it on. Because it was Memorial Day, I think they deserve their due along with MANY others.

The five Sullivan brothers were World War II sailors who, serving together on the USS Juneau (CL-52), were all killed in action on its sinking around November 13, 1942.

The five brothers, the sons of Thomas (1883–1965) and Alleta Sullivan (1895–1972) of Waterloo, Iowa, were:

• George Thomas Sullivan, 27 (born December 14, 1914), Gunner's Mate Second Class (George had been previously discharged in May 1941 as Gunner's Mate Third Class.)
    • Francis "Frank" Henry Sullivan, 26 (born February 18, 1916), Coxswain (Frank had been previously discharged in May 1941 as Seaman First Class.)
    • Joseph "Joe" Eugene Sullivan, 24 (born August 28, 1918), Seaman Second Class
    • Madison "Matt" Abel Sullivan, 23 (born November 8, 1919), Seaman Second Class
    • Albert "Al" Leo Sullivan, 20 (born July 8, 1922), Seaman Second Class

As a result of the Sullivan brothers, the U.S War Dept adapted the Sole Survivor Policy. "The Sole Survivor Policy or DoD Directive 1315.15 "Special Separation Policies for Survivorship" describes a set of regulations in the Military of the United States that are designed to protect members of a family from the draft or from combat duty if they have already lost family members in military service.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thought of the Sullivans when I saw this scene from Saving Private Ryan tonight. A mother should never have to go through that.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    Beffquus, yaddc, reno and 3 others like this.
  2. A. Genius

A. Genius Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Song by 90s band tells a good rock tale of woe

3. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    Speaking of Spielberg, he did one hell of a job with the Omaha Beach scene in Saving Private Ryan. God bless those men and boys who took that beach. Well I should say God Bless every person who's put on the uniform and fought for freedom.

Beffquus, RONNIE THE CLAW and teehee like this.
  4. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    And the lads are rightfully memorialized to this day with a ship of the line bearing their name:

USS The Sullivans
    DDG-68

[​IMG]

LaserT, Beffquus, baci and 4 others like this.
  5. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    My grandpa was a Navy vet and I heard that story many times

His baby brother who was 17 and died a few miles in from Normandy. Great gramps sat on the front porch all day with the telegram in hand and wouldn't open it, didn't want to know which one of his five had died.

LaserT, Beffquus, teehee and 2 others like this.
  6. teehee

teehee Friend Of The Friendless VIP

Reputations:
    I saw the movie " The Fighting Sullivans" and sobbed for at least a half hour after it was over. I can't imagine what those and the other brave souls went through. In general I have to stay away from war movies. Too heart wrenching..

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    LaserT, Beffquus, yaddc and 2 others like this.
  7. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    My father was navy medical attached to the marines in WW2. He saw action but thank God he made it back alive.

LaserT, Beffquus, yaddc and 2 others like this.
  8. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Three of the Five survived the sinking, but died in the water over the next several days. A report from a plane that spotted the survivors got "filed" in a pile of paperwork and resulted in no ships or planes being sent to rescue survivors for a long period. There were just 10 survivors, out of about 100 who survived the sinking. Bureaucracy kills.

reno, LaserT, Beffquus and 1 other person like this.
  9. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think its the reason two or more brothers can't be in combat the same time . Good article Hock.

LaserT and teehee like this.
  10. teehee

teehee Friend Of The Friendless VIP

Reputations:
    I didn't know that. So horrible!!

11. Weed

Weed Well-Known Member

Reputations:

LaserT and Night Ape like this.
  12. Beffquus

Beffquus Scripta sunt in stellis Gold

Reputations:
    Today, it seems so dumb to have allowed them all to be on the same ship, doesn't it? Yet the camaraderie and confidence they drew from having each other near must have been a source of strength.

My father-in-law loved to tell about the time he met up with his brother in Italy during WWII. For two days, they hung out, hijacked a Jeep and visited their ancestral hometown (what was left of it). Then, he got back into the tail gun port of a B-17 to bomb oil fields and ball bearing plants and the brother went back to being a file clerk (typing came in handy!). They both survived and for years, this was the only wartime experiences my FIL would discuss because it was the one positive event he experienced. I can only imagine what their parents and sisters went through while they were both deployed in harm's way.

I think the "limits" on siblings serving near each other might be flexible. If memory serves, Pat Tillman's brother was in the exact same region (maybe a different platoon?) when Tillman was killed in Afghanistan (sorry - have Pluggy's work ethic today and am too lazy to look it up myself!). I wonder if you can request a waiver allowing you to serve with/near a sibling rather than the military "forcing" you serve in proximity where you could both be lost in the same action.

LaserT likes this.