The Top Five Special Interest Groups Lobbying To Keep Marijuana Illegal

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Stew Nod, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:
    [h=1]LOL, shocking

The Top Five Special Interest Groups Lobbying To Keep Marijuana Illegal
    [/h] By Lee Fang posted Apr 20th 2012 at 9:04AM

[​IMG]Last year, over 850,000 people in America were arrested for marijuana-related crimes. Despite public opinion, the medical community, and human rights experts all moving in favor of relaxing marijuana prohibition laws, little has changed in terms of policy.
    There have been many great books and articles detailing the history of the drug war. Part of America’s fixation with keeping the leafy green plant illegal is rooted in cultural and political clashes from the past.
    However, we at Republic Report think it’s worth showing that there are entrenched interest groups that are spending large sums of money to keep our broken drug laws on the books:
    1.) Police Unions: Police departments across the country have become dependent on federal drug war grants to finance their budget. In March, we published a story revealing that a police union lobbyist in California coordinated the effort to defeat Prop 19, a ballot measure in 2010 to legalize marijuana, while helping his police department clients collect tens of millions in federal marijuana-eradication grants. And it’s not just in California. Federal lobbying disclosures show that other police union lobbyists have pushed for stiffer penalties for marijuana-related crimes nationwide.
    2.) Private Prisons Corporations: Private prison corporations make millions by incarcerating people who have been imprisoned for drug crimes, including marijuana. As Republic Report’s Matt Stoller noted last year, Corrections Corporation of America, one of the largest for-profit prison companies, revealed in a regulatory filing that continuing the drug war is part in parcel to their business strategy. Prison companies have spent millions bankrolling pro-drug war politicians and have used secretive front groups, like the American Legislative Exchange Council, to pass harsh sentencing requirements for drug crimes.
    3.) Alcohol and Beer Companies: Fearing competition for the dollars Americans spend on leisure, alcohol and tobacco interests have lobbied to keep marijuana out of reach. For instance, the California Beer & Beverage Distributors contributed campaign contributions to a committee set up to prevent marijuana from being legalized and taxed.
    4.) Pharmaceutical Corporations: Like the sin industries listed above, pharmaceutical interests would like to keep marijuana illegal so American don’t have the option of cheap medical alternatives to their products. Howard Wooldridge, a retired police officer who now lobbies the government to relax marijuana prohibition laws, told Republic Report that next to police unions, the “second biggest opponent on Capitol Hill is big PhRMA†because marijuana can replace “everything from Advil to Vicodin and other expensive pills.â€
    5.) Prison Guard Unions: Prison guard unions have a vested interest in keeping people behind bars just like for-profit prison companies. In 2008, the California Correctional Peace Officers Association spent a whopping $1 million to defeat a measure that would have “reduced sentences and parole times for nonviolent drug offenders while emphasizing drug treatment over prison.â€

2. HeinousMark

HeinousMark Creepy-Ass Cracka VIP

Reputations:
    It's always the same...follow the money...and Privatized prisons are among the WORST things ever to happen to this country...

3. beetlejosh

beetlejosh I got a head that's large Gold

Reputations:
  4. beatlejaws

beatlejaws nowhere poster

Reputations:
    pharmaceutical and insurance companies are tough to fight.

5. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:
    a crime within itself

6. HeinousMark

Reputations:
    the whole issue of drugs, but especially pot, is money, and I don't mean the cartels...although they are also among the last who want to see legalization...they might have to get jobs or something. I live in a semi-rural town just off a major interstate, and it's reputed to be one of the most dangerous corridors to transport drugs through, because rather than dealing with crimes that affect people's lives here, they prefer to camp out on the Interstate and bust people driving through who are from out of state, or whom they deem might be remotely "suspicious". And so, they get thousands and thousands of dollars from the gubbermint, and buy more weapons, dogs, build bigger jails, etc... It's a vicious cycle, and I bet my story ain't unique...

There used to be some saying about "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness"...I think it was a Mother Goose story or something...:dontknow:

7. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:
    Yup, reefer being illegal is a complete joke....NFW they can justify alcohol being legal and not reefer...NFW

Think about the amount of people employed in the criminal justice system....the endless judges, guards, cops, etc it takes to enforce it...thats why they wont legalize....it'll put a ton of folks out of work that we really dont need.

the whole thing is silly, we are broke as a country...our prisons are overflowing. Law enforcement should focus on violent people...not this crap. And actually focusing prosecuting white collar criminals might do some good as well, lol

8. HeinousMark

Reputations:
    The little gossip rag bullshit local newspaper here has a crime report every day... No bullshit, no exaggeration, I consistently see people getting sentenced to longer prison time than rapists and murderers. (SRS).

I guess we have the best government money can buy!:salute:

9. HeinousMark

Reputations:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/04/20/420-special-economists-announce-that-legalizing-pot-could-save-us-13-7-billion/

10. doughhead63

doughhead63 OD'd on life itself Staff Member

Reputations:
    Yeah, ask Keith Kenneth :facepalm:

11. doughhead63

doughhead63 OD'd on life itself Staff Member

Reputations:
    Honestly, why not legalize everything...?

12. HeinousMark

Reputations:
    :cash::cash::cash:

13. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:

Private prisons with state and local governments GUARANTEEING 90% occupancy rates. Gee, what could possibly go wrong with that?

14. Boss Ono

Boss Ono New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    What can you tell us about building 7?

15. HeinousMark

Reputations:
    ...and of course, a prison full of potheads is prolly just a bit easier to maintain than one full of murderers, rapists, gang-bangers, etc...

...and, the prisoners can be used as slave labor to manufacture, phone-marketing, etc. even cheaper than a 5yo Chinese kid... part of "paying their debt to society and defraying taxpayer costs", of course...

Sometimes I think this place is gonna make Nazi Germany look like a Boy Scout meeting, and maybe all too soon...:pissed: GODDAMNIT THIS THREAD IS PISSING ME OFF AND DEPRESSING ME!!!:pissed:

16. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    Gospel...+R

17. koclem

koclem .|..O..|. VIP Banned User

Reputations:
    As of a couple years ago weed has been decriminalized in MA <1oz, its now a $100 civil fine I think.

Its a nice feeling knowing you are not risking legal problems anymore for regular toking.

18. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    I'da figured Bar Associations would be pushing hard to keep it illegal.

19. tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Slowly it is coming around. Even here in Illinois they have made motions to decriminalize it, which is still far away but it was at least steps these codgers haven't taken before.