The True story of what happened to Bob Levy when he tried to quit his position

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Vashier, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    First off let me preface this with a little background info on what you are about to read. These events took place from

late WXRK through today. Everything that I will be stating has been told to me by Bob himself. He has also provided

me with contacts for some of the individuals with first hand knowledge of these events. All were cold contacted by

myself and all related the same stories to me as Bob had. Having spent hours pouring over the old On Demand clips of

these incidents I see no case of Bob having fabricated any of them. I believe 100 percent of what I am writing or I

wouldn't be retelling it to you. Bob went to Dawg and asked if he could have a thread where he could have his side of

the story explained so that anyone that is interested can come here for the truth. Dawg got a hold of Elias and myself

and asked if we could help Bob out. The following is what we came up with. Bob explained that retelling the story over

and over was getting really old. It isn't that it's a bad story or painful to retell but it's ancient history at this point. The

facts have been twisted by time and he asked me if I could arrange all the details in one place so that anyone who is

looking for this story can come here to learn the truth. I need to send out a Special Thanks to Elias Boy for handling

the first contact with Bob while I was tied up here. Your work while tending to your sick family is greatly appreciated

bro. Vash

Bob grew up on Staten Island in New York City during the 1960's and 70's. He was a typical kid who's days consisted of

hustling the streets while busting his friends balls at every point he could. You and your crew loved nothing better than

to bust balls, as long as it was kept to your crew. If and outsider tried to bust anyone's balls he'd find his head getting

busted. No one was allowed to fuck with you and your's, but you. Pretty typical upbringing for those of us born during

the early 1960's. Your friends meant everything to you and you would do whatever it took to make sure they were

alright. Why I bother to mention this is really simple, Bob has never lost this trait over the years. If you are Bob's

friend there isn't enough he can do for you regardless of the effect it may have on himself.

A good example of this was during the win John's job contest. Bob could tell right off that he never was in contention

for the job in the first place. They had always told him he was a "Family" member and was contributing ideas and bits

to the show that were being used consistently. If you think back to the contest there was a competition segment that

involved the best phone call. Bob had come up with an idea about calling High Pitch Eric up and telling him KC was

pissed off at Eric over a phone call Eric had made to the show. Eric said he had seen KC out with a woman at a

restaurant so what would be funnier than to tell Eric he had gotten KC busted for being out with another woman. Bob

was going to lead High Pitch on about how upset KC was and then tell him that if Eric would agree to give KC a blow

job, KC would forgive him. When Bob explained the bit to KC, he begged Bob to let him have that bit as his phone call.

He explained to Bob that he was on thin ice at the station and this bit could save his job. Bob never hesitated for a

second. He gave the bit to KC and it was a huge hit [video=youtube;FtL5uUMTw4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtL5uUMTw4A[/video]

Now as time passed and Howard moved the show over to Sirius Bob became more and more involved with the show. He

would come in any and every time they called him. Whether it be to cut a 10 second promo or read an entire script for

a best of episode Bob never hesitated to drive into the city. All of this was for free mind you. I was always paid an

allowance for doing my "family" chores around the house but it seems Ol' Pa Stern is a firm believer in experience

being worth more than money. Of course it doesn't matter if you have 20 years of stand up under your belt or not, you

would always learn more by being in his presence. This would bother most, but it never did Bob. Bob knew he could

make his own money since he had been in comedy since the mid 80's. Bob would rather work with the guys up there and help

them out instead of hitting the road with DePaolo, Quinn, and Florentine where the plugs would have only benefited the real comedians.

Bob's loyalty didn't go unnoticed, he went from being a content provider to being The Roastmaster General. The pay

was the same but Bob was on the air more, one of those, titles beats a raise anyday, moves. After a few months Tim

approached Bob and pointed out that HE needed to get Bob some money for all the work he had done for the show. Bob

looked at him and said he would be happy with Fred reading two plugs a week for his comedy shows. As I stated

earlier, Bob has been making his living since the mid 1980's off stand up, he didn't need the few dollars that Tim could

scrounge up. Tim bustled at this and said he would have to ask Gary and Howard both if this would be ok. Both Gary

and Howard agreed that two plugs a week was fair compensation, and who in hell wouldn't? Tim informed Bob of their

decision and all was good.

The roasts were a great success, well all but the Daniel Carver roast, Bob told them that would never work. Howard

wouldn't listen though. When the roast bombed as Bob had predicted because Daniel Carver just isn't a funny person

and would never get the concept, Howard placed all the blame square on Bob's shoulders. Bob just absorbed the hit as

he normally did. These things allowed for Bob to get his own show on H101.

One day Bob and Sal came up with an idea of rehashing an old radio show Bob had done in Atlantic City years earlier

called, "What's your Problem". Since this was a new station with new people the name was changed to "The Miserable

Men Show". Now Howard wouldn't allow Sal to work on Miserable Men, you know Howard's belief about spreading

oneself too thin on the air? So it was decided to bring in shuli and a group of comics to help Bob with the show. There

was no money for this show, actually there was no show until this funny turn of events occurred.

While they were waiting to get the official word on The Miserable Men Show, Bob and Shuli thought up the idea of doing a news piece for

H100 congratulating Bob on being the host of the newest radio show on H 101, "The Miserable Men". They cut the tape and when Tim

heard this news item he ran up to give Bob his congratulations on getting the show! Now wouldn't you think the program manager would

know which show was approved and which show was still pending? Guess not at H 100 channels. He congratulated Bob and gave him a

time slot for a show that didn't officially exist until he did just that. It amazes me how some people make six figure salaries yet have no idea

why they recieve that money.

Miserable Men was a hit right off the bat. The fans loved having live programing on sunday, problem was everyone

worked for free. When it became obvious that money would never becoming to them, Jim Florentine quit. Bob

complained to Tim that they couldn't possibly keep doing this show for free. Free? No, it was costing them money to do

the show. By the time Bob drove up into the city, paid for parking and all of that he would be down close to one

hundred dollars. Tim agreed that something needed to be done but there just wasn't any money. The plugs were

brought up as was the lack of a budget over and over again. Finally logic won the day Tim managed to cough up two

hundred dollars a week for Bob. Again this was fine as he was now not paying to do the show anymore and the plugs

were being read each week without any complaints.

People came and went from MM as it progressed. One hour became two hours but the pay remained the same. This was

OK with Bob though the others weren't happy. It was around this time that the Idea came about to form the Killers of

Comedy. During MM one person would complain to Bob about how hard living in the city was. While cutting promo's

and id's for the Stern Show others would complain about their lack of finances. It occurred to Bob that if he took them

on the road with him he could get them some decent money on the side to help tide them over. It's like the old adage

about teaching a guy to fish. The more time in front of an audience the better they would become, in theory. They had

a gig in San Antonio TX though that had a really bad outcome. There was something else huge going on that night so

no one showed at the door. The Stern show people started flipping out about how they couldn't take a hit like this,

their bank accounts couldn't handle it. Bob, feeling bad for all of them took the cash out of his personal bank account

and paid each of them what they should have made. Bob also lowered what his normal cut would be at the next shows

to make up the rest of the money the guys were out. I don't know of many with Stern's kind of money that would do

this, but Bob did. Bob has always had his friend's backs covered.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
    Sharkey likes this.
  2. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

Now to make sure a repeat of San Antonio wouldn't occur at the next big gig in Chicago, Bob called Gary and asked if he could come

into the show for twenty minutes to plug the gig. Gary said, "No". Bob replied,"No?" Gary went on to explain that Bob had been on a

few months before and it was too soon to have him back in. Bob asked if he couldn't come in could he let Shuli come in just to plug the

gig? Again Gary said, "No". This pissed Bob off to no end. He had been working basically for free all these years and Gary couldn't make

20 minutes for him to come in? Fuck Gary! Bob had an idea, if he went off on Gary that would get him some air time to plug the gig on

Howard's show. So Bob goes off on Gary while filling in for Scott Farrell one night. Well Bob Got what he wanted. The next day Howard

starts in on Bob about how telling Gary to Fuck off is the same as telling Howard to fuck off. Bob disagreed but he did manage to get in

the chicago info while arguing his points. Now an interesting fact can be picked up here. The plugs that Bob had been receiving each

week were starting to get to Howard. Even though it all get's smoothed out by the end of the call the resentment over the plugs is quite

evident. Even to the point of denying knowledge of how Bob even received those plugs though he was the one that gave them to him,

which he also admits during the same video.

[video=youtube;o9ryKa9GK38]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9ryKa9GK38[/video]Now while all this was going on it

was also decided that H-TV wanted to tape Bob's bachelor party and even his wedding to his fiance Christine. The bachelor party would

have been one thing but the wedding was another. Chrissy would have no part of making her wedding a bit for Howard TV. Doug Z

Goodstein called Bob telling him they were going to record his wedding. Bob told Doug that it wasn't on the table to do the wedding but

Doug insisted to speak with Chrissy about it. When Chrissy got on the phone she politely declined his offers, all of them. Doug wasn't

going to back down and pulled his trump card,"Chrissy", he said, "No one says NO to Howard Stern!" Chrissy laughed and said, "she just

had." and hung the phone up. Now all of this added to Bob's growing dislike of the Stern Plantation. Shortly after this Bob invited his old

friend Jimmy Norton from the Opie and Anthony show to sit in on The Miserable Men show. Bob himself had started to call in and go

onto O&A over the last month even though he had been warned that it would put him in a lower esteem in the eyes of the Stern Show,

Tim even went so far as to tell Bob that even though Howard had said he would pull Bob's plugs that Tim would gladly give Bob one

back if he never went on their show. Jimmy went on Twitter and announced his gig at Mis Men. When Tim read this he called bob up

and told him that Jimmy couldn't come on the Stern Channels. Bob asked why since the merger was well over and done with at this

point. Again Tim explained that they are one company but they aren't, It's a whole big thing. Bob pointed out to Tim that it was a bad

idea to show fear to everyone by not allowing Norton to come in. Tim thought about this and agreed, with the stipulation that Norton

could not speak about the O&A show. Between complaining about his plugs, not letting bob into the studio, and then arguing with his

wife when she refused to be used as a TV prop on her biggest day, Bob started to wonder if all this aggravation was worth it.

Time passed and everything settled back into it's usual state. Miserable men was expanded to 4 hours though the pay was still just

$200 per show. Now while this was going on it it seems that Chuck Zito, another DJ on H101 was hosting a benefit fundraiser for

someone. Chuck submitted an extremely long plug to Fred which explained the benefit every which way from Sunday. Now the reason it

is known that this Zito plug caused the entire uproar is that Bob received a call from someone inside the office, after the fact, that told

him about Howard's anger over the Zito plug. He told Bob it was definitely Chuck Zito's plug and not his that caused the uproar.

Howard, being scared to death of a physical confrontation decided it would be much safer to attack Bob's plugs to get his message

across. Since this change in plugs was happening Fred had to change up the order used for the weekly plugs, he doesn't live read them,

they are all pre-recorded. While doing this he accidentally loaded four of Bob's plugs instead of two as per their agreement. ( I don't

think this was an accident, but I have no proof) When Howard heard the four Levy plugs, he said it set him off.

[video=youtube;nz0_wmLFKYg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz0_wmLFKYg[/video] For three straight days Howard

ranted about Levy's plugs. When it finally got to the point that Howard said he would just pull all his plugs and fire bob from Miserable

Men, Bob called in.

Bob got on the phone with Will when he called in, he asked Will if they had run out of material? Will didn't understand what Bob was saying

so Bob explained how for three days now they had been ranting about his plugs. Will, with a nervous giggle, put Bob through to Howard.

Howard answered the phone and asked bob what was up. Bob said that he had heard Howard had a problem with him, which Howard flat

out denied. Bob said that he had heard that Howard had pulled his plugs and fired him from Miserable Men. Howard said he had done no

such thing. Bob said that wasn't what he was told. Howard told bob that person was a liar for telling him that. Bob pointed out it was his

wife who told him. Howard, once again, changed tune and said well, he was no longer fired and his plugs were back, totally forgetting

about having denied he had a problem with Bob in the first place five seconds earlier. Now it's pretty clear to me that Howard and Gary

played dumb through that entire call. They have no clue how Bob has his plugs and Howard allows them just because he likes Bob? Yet

just months before Tim had to get not just Gary's approval but also Howard's approval. Is Alzheimers contagious? Howard then explains

how Bob got those plugs later on in the bit. The only reason this call occurs is quite obvious to me, they had no fresh material and Bob had

given them some more. At the end everything goes back to the status quo as far as Stern is concerned. Bob has his plugs, Bob has his

show, and Howard just got another three days of material. Howard doesn't realize that Bob is getting close to the end of his rope.

Bob sat down one night and had a long talk with his wife. He and Chrissy decided to make a list of the pro's and cons of working for the

Stern Show and the Opie and Anthony show. At the end the con list was much longer on the Stern side so it was decided that Bob was ending

his relationship with them. Bob told Tim of his decision and Tim was not happy. Tim told Bob once again that the channels were in flux,

Bubba the Love sponge was going to be leaving and that Bob's show was going to replace it. Bob asked if the pay would be at the

$250,000 price range and Tim stumbled out a no, but there would be others leaving and that would allow for more money to be available.

At this point Bob put Chrissy on the phone. Chrissy has worked as an executive in a large corporation for years now. Chrissy basically told

Tim that she too used these same tactics at work and those tactics simply wouldn't work in this situation. Tim was left flabbergasted and

Bob was now free to go wherever he wanted... or so he thought.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
    Sharkey likes this.
  3. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

Somehow from this point on the story gets a bit cloudy. Bob sent in an email asking if he could come on the O&A show. He received an email, ( I have

heard the entire contents of this email), back telling him he was welcome at anytime. Bob then replied to that person about a rumor he had

heard that he had been banned from the Sirius building. They replied that yes they had heard that as well. Bob then called Jarrod,

Tim's assistant at the time, asking if he had been banned from the building. Jarrod told Bob that yes indeed he had, because Bob had

assaulted four security guards, and then hung up. Bob never did such a thing and was quite confused. Bob then called Jarrod back the

next day asking why he had been banned for attacking four security guards when that never happened? Jarrod flat out denied ever saying

that Bob had beat up security. Why would he say something like that, was his excuse. Bob called back a third time and asks Jarrod

again why was he banned? Jarrod replies this time that Bob had beaten up four security guards. Seeing how this cycle was going Bob

decided to go
    back to his good old standby bit, ATTACK YOUR TARGET if you can't get an answer. That should get someone's attention

at the Stern Show! So Bob goes on his Stickam PodCast at LevyLand and announces how he plans to murder Howard Stern and his wife.

Bob did one hell of an acting job selling this bit because a little while later NYPD Blue show's up at his door at 10:30 pm at the request of a

Howard Stern. It seems Howard got wind of Bob's performance on Stickam and not only called the police but also the FBI over Bob's

death threat. After talking to Bob and checking out the situation and understanding why Bob had made the threat they informed him that

he's much too talented to be playing these kind games. He needs to just move along with his career, to which he agreed.

Bob was done with Stern but he could always call into O&A. Bob decides that he needs to call security at Sirius and see what his status is.

The security agent tells Bob that there is no record of his attacking anyone at all. Seeing this was the case he came up with an idea to hold

a weekly roast as a week in review for O&A. It was a great idea that their show loved. Bob called a friend who is a comic and an engineer,

the two of them worked their asses off taping the first bit. These bits could be emailed into the show so the ban from the building shouldn't

be an issue. After mailing in the first episode, it never got played. Bob calls in and asks why? He is not only physically banned from the

building, he is virtually banned from the building meaning he was not allowed to even call into the phone system. First he's told he can call

in, then he's told he can't, sure sounds like somebody has blackballed the name Bob Levy at Sirius XM to me. Bob decided to drop the

whole issue and get on with his career and life. He went off to work in Radio in the Albany market with Robert Wohlferd.

So much for Howard's rants on never interfering with a person's ability to make a living huh? Everything in this piece screams of

Howard's inability to truthfully deal with anybody. Howard has even bashed Bob since he falsely banned him for wanting to quit his

show. I recall one caller that asked what happened to bob who was shot down quickly with an explanation of Bob doing a morning zoo

in albany, where he was bombing. Truth is Bob was working 12 hour days gaining ratings with each book until an error occurred at

arbitron and a decimal point was displaced by one spot making his 9.1 share into a .91. The station managers got word from Clear

Channel that they were changing formats, which was common place at that time in radio. My very own favorite station, and Howard's

when he was at B.U., WBCN in Boston, has even undergone a format change after decades of leading the rating in all of New England.

Bob has never needed anyone's approval to make changes in his life. He has never had an issue with, "Daddy love me!" as so many

others in the Stern universe have and still do to this day. That right there is the whole reason why Bob was doomed from the beginning

with working for the Stern Show. He's never had the kiss ass gene, and he never will.

© dawgsaloon 2013

Last edited: May 15, 2013
    Sharkey likes this.
  4. IllegalSearch

IllegalSearch Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    single spaced, really?

Phuck Yoo likes this.
  5. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    Vash took a week to get this interview written. He also spent hours on the phone with bob. after all that this is your reply? I would ban your sorry ass from my thread if it were me.

6. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    :lol: That's all ya got? Increase your screen mag :hilarious: at over +22k words DS would have been enormous

7. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Oh, and feel free to ask all the questions you guys want. Bob will be here in a few days to answer what he can so this thing can be put to bed, like it should have been 2+ years ago now.

8. yippeekyaa

yippeekyaa Moved forward. VIP

Reputations:
    Thanks Vash for the effort this took. Read it twice and WOW. It would be easier to read if the font was bumped up a bit though. Can't thank you enough for this.

Time Bandit and Sharkey like this.
  9. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    Thanks alot for all your hard work my friend! :)

10. A Succulent Chinese Meal

A Succulent Chinese Meal Oh, that's a nice headlock, sir. VIP

Reputations:
    Heedeeomnism

11. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Nice job, Bob shared bits and pieces of this story with Mike and I at AFN, Stickam and Twitter. The info here is entirely consistent with what he shared over two years ago, which to me adds to it's credibility.

12. Oderus

Oderus Going to hell VIP

Reputations:
    Jesus Christ.

13. Oderus

Oderus Going to hell VIP

Reputations:
    Very interesting read.

14. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    Howard went as far as to contact the FBI. Wowzers . . . :coffee:

15. artful dodger

artful dodger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    wow very extensive, thanks for the scoop
    will read and comment later

16. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    With all the different size monitors used it's a pain to try and format long posts to make everyone happy. I used the generic setup that the blog page uses since i wrote 75% on that and haven't heard anyone complain on format there :dontknow:

17. IllegalSearch

IllegalSearch Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ok, ok, so I had crab cakes for dinner, forgive me. I will give this a proper read and response.

18. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    Vash, awesome awesome job on that, I knew most of this story already, but there were a few details that I was not aware of. Mostly the reason I knew is because this was about the time (maybe a bit later after Artie left) that I pretty much found myself on the outside looking in as a fan of the Stern show, I went full time O&A and have not looked back, they on occasion tell the Howard stories, but also need to be wary as they still work for the same company, and we all know which show gets the majority of the budget. I would love to see Bob spend some more time on O&A, they have an open door policy towards comedian friends of the show, Patrice RIP, Bob Kelly, Rich Vos, and the whole gang are in pretty much as they want, it would be nice to see Bob in more as well.

In conclusion I like Bob, met him after a few shows, and you can tell that he is a stand up guy. Too bad that this happened to him, but he is not the first nor will be the last to have this done to him by Howard.

Well done my friend.

19. SEGA

SEGA Permanent Vacation VIP

Reputations:
    Sounds interesting, but i gotta read this in my own time, my A.D.H.D is kicking in and i'm losing concentration lol

20. A Succulent Chinese Meal

A Succulent Chinese Meal Oh, that's a nice headlock, sir. VIP

Reputations:
    Any strimp?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.