The Value of Rick

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by Peau de Soie, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    So I've been listening to about a month's worth of shows, and while I expected my initial impression would change, it hasn't -- Rick is NEVER funny on the show. Once in a long while he tries, usually making a very weak jab based on one of Artie's thousands of riffs per hour. It invariably falls flat. He's just not smart or clever.

His standup was always adequate, nothing special. But he provides zero humor on the Mick and Sparky Show.

Is he just there to keep Artie off the sleeping cot? I guess he tries to move things along and keep them more sports focused (both of which of course are detriments to the show). There were one or two shows where Artie was allowed to riff the entire time and sports were mostly ignored; I'm probably thinking of the one where Too Fat's ghost writer sat in. Those shows were the best.

Anyway, maybe Flick's value is in keeping the show from being must-listen. The way it is now I was able to get through some particularly nasty chores over the weekend while listening to the show. If Prick and the sports content went away I would have to listen much more closely to avoid missing anything...

Does anyone think Brick brings anything to the show?

2. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Sure Artie could do the show by himself.....:jj:

3. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    That doesn't really answer my question. What value do you think Rick specifically brings? Is it in fact just "generic straight host"? Is he the Jon Hein of DirecTV?

4. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    :jj:

5. JB50

JB50 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Its a sports show period. Nick got the show to begin with and chose Artie to be his partner. There would be no show without Nick. Artie without direction would be a rambling no sponsor having mess. Are you a liberal? I find most people who don't like Nick are usually from the left side of things.

6. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    I have no interest in sports, and little in politics. This is an Artie forum. So are you saying, JB50, that Schmidt's value is that of an ordinary sports radio host? Do you find him funny / as funny / funnier than Artie? Because you didn't directly answer the original question....

7. jyanks

jyanks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Nick has value. Together with Artie, they have a lot of chemistry together & play off each other well (ex: Sox/Yanks rivalry). And he is funny - especially when he makes fun of Dan or talks about his wife paving the driveway. His humor is more subtle & less direct than Arite's, but it is there. I also like when Nick takes subtle digs at Stern, but that's my opinion.
    My concern is....in the event, Artie is ever to fall off the wagon & is no longer capable of doing the show.....I cannot see the show surviving WITHOUT Artie. Nick can't do it by himself. And he would have an extremely hard time finding a replacement that complements him & brings the same kind of chemistry that Artie brings to the table.

8. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Thanks, jyanks. I usually like subtle humor but I must be missing it listening to Snick. All the Felato jabs (hilarious ones) I hear are out of Artie. And I'm certainly not averse to hearing some Stern criticism but I haven't caught that yet either. I've only been listening for a couple of weeks.

I'll keep on listening, and maybe I'll change my mind. Thanks.

As to the post-Arthur era, I imagine it would just be a run of the mill sports show, no?

9. jyanks

jyanks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sports shows are a dime a dozen. And there isn't a need for another one.
    Honestly, I can't see this show continuing without Artie.
    I mean, who could possibly fill that void.....Colin Quinn? Joe Matarese? I'm not sure if it would work, so I hope Nick has a back-up plan in place.
    With that said, I hope Artie stays clean & healthy.

10. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Hey I hope he STARTS being clean and healthy. I no longer harbor any illusions when it comes to him, but I've decided to enjoy it while it lasts....

11. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    THIS. Yes, there would be no show in the first place without him, but he's certainly not the reason I'm listening.... if Artie wasn't on, who here would be? Rick is soooo negative all the time- it gets to be exhausting after a while. And I didn't like how he got pissy with Dan the other day after Dan made the HUGE mistake of talking during the first part of the show. Rick's a dick, plain & simple. And don't even get me started on his weird PC rants: according to him, everything bad is the fault of liberals and/or women. I guess in his mind it should still be the 1950's & we should all be barefoot & pregnant.

If they dropped Rick & made Dan the co-host, the show would improve immensely IMO.... (a girl can dream...)

12. sternski

sternski New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    this.

13. Leakyroof

Leakyroof New Member

Reputations:
    Nah, not about his political views at all. Its that he makes almost every subject ABOUT politics. Its annoying. He's also a miserable fuck. Schtick or no schtick, all that gets tiresome.
    Not that i think he's unfunny. Nick can be funny.

In his defense, he does have more on his plate. He prepares for the show, he humors the sports guests with actual questions about sports - he tries to give directtv what they want. Im sure that cuts some of his creativity off. Not in a "the higher ups wont let me do this and that" kind of way but more in terms of just having other shit to think about during the show.
    Artie just has to come in and fuck around for 3 hours it seems, which is what he's great at. Nick unfortunately isn't as good at what he is doing but its still an entertaining show most of the time.

But the politics, always with the politics..

14. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I disagree- Artie has done pre-show work... writing bits, songs, even recording guys at that bar the other day... he didn't have to do that, but he is putting in the effort.

15. Greekfreak

Greekfreak New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    This

They're a great team in a lot of ways--they're buddies (you could tell even if you didn't know already), they play well and riff really well when they're together, and they're in tune comedically. Artie brings most of the funny and personality. Rick keeps Artie grounded and is probably responsible for making sure the baby gorilla stays on the tracks. Nick's a drug-free comic, far too right wing to be truly funny, but he makes me laugh occasionally. I think DiPaolo's probably a way better joke writer than anything else. Nick can't do impressions for shit, and Artie's brilliant at them. Off the cuff, they're both quick but Artie blows him away 9 times out of 10. Artie's the draw and it's Rick's gig. There would be no replacing Artie if something happened to him. I think also the fact that the schedule is more normal than THSS, makes for a much more normal life and sleeping patterns.

Rick's the straight man. Gelato's far from straight.

As for the "Stern jabs" there have been very few, but one reference early on in the show about how Artie got 44% most popular on THSS and Rick was the one who brought it up. I'm sure it burned Howard's ass when the numbers came out at the time, and Artie threw Howard under the bus when he was trying to defend him: "Well, people like who they can relate to, and I'm a dirtbag..."

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  16. kev

kev Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I agree with this post. I started listening for Artie, came to laugh at a lot of Nick's jokes as well. Nick's politics get a little annoying sometimes. I was listening to one of the old shows, and he was trying to defend Santorum for bringing home his dead baby for his kids to see. WTF? One thing I respect him for though is the way he calls out society on the pussification of men nowadays. I hate that shit. So yeah, Artie is more entertaining but without Nick the show wouldn't be the same. The fact that they're both Italian and know all the same movies makes for some funny stuff.

17. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Interesting; more Chick tolerators than I would have expected. Thanks for the input, folks.

18. Napoleon V2

Napoleon V2 New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Nick has 10x the sports knowledge that Artie does

19. koclem

koclem .|..O..|. VIP Banned User

Reputations:
    rick is a hack.

20. koclem

koclem .|..O..|. VIP Banned User

Reputations:
    that certainly doesn't make him funny.