Entertainment The Wall

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Miss America, May 29, 2015.

1. Miss America

Miss America Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I have a feeling there will be strong feelings for and against this. Check out this video that Bruce Springsteen released for Memorial Day last year. This song was on his most recent album, High Hopes. While Bruce does not rock out like he used to, songs like this keep me interested in his work. Video below, and a small story about the song. Howard related because he often brags about his kills in Vietnam. And Baba Booey would wet his pants if Springsteen ever agreed to be interviewed by Wiggy, something I hope never happens.

• This touching number is an elegy for Walter Cichon, the leader of Jersey Shore band the Motifs, who went missing in action in Vietnam in 1968. We hear Springsteen contemplate the lost potential of all those names on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial ("the Wall") in Washington. He explained in the liner notes to High Hopes: "'The Wall' is something I'd played on stage a few times and remains very close to my heart. The title and idea were (Pittsburgh rock musician) Joe Grushecky's, then the song appeared after (second wife) Patti and I made a visit to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington."

"It was inspired by my memories of Walter Cichon," Springsteen added. "Walter was one of the great early Jersey Shore rockers, who along with his brother Ray (one of my early guitar mentors) led the 'Motifs.' The Motifs were a local rock band who were always a head above everybody else. Raw, sexy and rebellious, they were the heroes you aspired to be. But these were heroes you could touch, speak to, and go to with your musical inquiries. Cool, but always accessible, they were an inspiration to me, and many young working musicians in 1960's central New Jersey.

"Though my character in 'The Wall' is a Marine, Walter was actually in the Army, A Company, 3rd Battalion, 8th Infantry," Springsteen continued. "He was the first person I ever stood in the presence of who was filled with the mystique of the true rock star. Walter went missing in action in Vietnam in March 1968. He still performs somewhat regularly in my mind, the way he stood, dressed, held the tambourine, the casual cool, the freeness. The man who by his attitude, his walk said 'you can defy all this, all of what's here, all of what you've been taught, taught to fear, to love and you'll still be alright.' His was a terrible loss to us, his loved ones and the local music scene. I still miss him."
    • Springsteen debuted this song in February 2003 during a solo acoustic concert in Somerville, Massachusetts, which benefited the financially strapped Doubletake Magazine. He performed it twice more in 2005 during his Devil's & Dust tour.

2. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Bruce Springsteen was good for Blinded by the Light.

As long as Manfred Mann sings it.

Never understood the appeal.

3. Weed

Weed Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well, some of us Springsteen fans actually appreciate it when the guy we pay to see performs FOR us...you know..facing the audience, engaging the crowd, acting like he wants to be there. You, being a fan of Tool, might not be able to comprehend that concept so easily. After all, Maynard Keenan prefers to stand in the rear of the stage, in the dark, with his back turned to the crowd for most of the show. I suppose that in some circles, that is considered cool, but I haven't been 'cool' since high school, so what do I know?

Stinkfist and Shortwave98 like this.
  4. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I actually don't like live music. At all.

My favorite concert was an Iron Maiden show when I was a kid and that had much more to do with the huge Eddie that walked around the stage than the actual band performing.

But I would agree with your point about stage presence - if a singer doesn't have that, it can wreck a performance.