Theory about HS Show attrition

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Pelicanman, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Pelicanman

Pelicanman Engorged Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I wanted to share a theory with everyone and see who agrees with me. I think it is evident that show quality has been declining gradually over the last several years, but the descent seems to have rapidly sped up around 2012-2013. At that point, the show essentially became celebrity interviews and an AGT commercial. The bits, contests, whores, pranks, and cast drama were effectively jettisoned and the show became unbearably PC. Now, I attribute a large part of this to Howard’s attempt to reinvent himself as a family-friendly judge on an unwatchable network television show, but I think there is more to it than that.

Basically, I think Howard has decided to deliberately sabotage the show in an effort to spite Sirius for the loss of his lawsuit. Frankly, the entire rationale for the lawsuit was delusional on his part, but the man has certainly displayed an unbelievable capacity for ego-driven self-delusion in the past. Regardless, I find it difficult to believe that even he thinks the show is listenable at this point.

Notwithstanding whether the quality of the show has any bearing on Sirius’ bottom-line (I would argue it has no effect whatsoever and Howard is completely irrelevant at this point), Howie seems to be under the assumption that he is an important commodity to the company. I think the change in show content is less about Howard being lazy (although there is some aspect of that in his actions) and more about driving the show into the ground in an effort to affect Sirius as a company. It seems to me that Howard thinks if he can’t have all the marbles then no one else should have any either. What are your thoughts? Anyone agree?

2. Pussy Tendon

Pussy Tendon Wet! CUNT!!!!! Gold

Reputations:
    I was listening the day it started. It was the 'piss on my fans if I want to' comment.

BeerCanThick, Eclipse754 and smichal like this.
  3. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
    Nothing new here

He has plotted his retirement when the new contract was signed 4 years ago he said so on the air.

Told everyone to look for a job and they have a 4 year head start

BeerCanThick, Droog and smichal like this.
  4. HPMikesLazyEYE

HPMikesLazyEYE Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I hope Whalerock is taking notes.

5. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    Great first post.

BeerCanThick and smichal like this.
  6. Ashbeard

Ashbeard Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The show used to be about the making of a radio show. When it became a radio show with interviews and no behind the scenes everyone lost interest.

BeerCanThick and Mangofyoself like this.
  7. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    It's a great theory, but the reality is that once he got a taste of la dolce vita (the good life), he was off to the races to see how much money he could make with the least amount of effort. I love when he bitches about having to do an AGT on the same day as his radio show, but he has a 5 fucking day weekend....sometimes, other times he takes 10+days off in a row. I got sick of getting screwed so I dropped SXM.

8. Mr. Potato Head

Mr. Potato Head ~Would Like to Play~ Gold

Reputations:
    ^^This

TallTyrion likes this.
  9. The Booey

The Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think it's pretty clear he's deliberately dismantling his little empire: cancelling shows, firing people, making less and less of an effort.

Bottom line: he's done at Sirius when this contract is up.

smichal likes this.
  10. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    Exactly. Stern body count:
    Rysher
    Sirius
    Shittens
    Whalerock????

11. ClumpyStern

ClumpyStern HSS-clean since Dec 2011 VIP

Reputations:
    If he were purposely doing a shitty show, you'd be able to hear the passive aggressiveness in his voice. Guaranfuckinteed. There'd be no point to doing it without cluing fans in that it's deliberate and he's way too insecure and obsessed with his image to purposely do a shitty show without hinting that he's doing it. IMO, it's much simpler than that: he really thinks he's doing a great show because he lives in a bubble of psychological protection in the form of all those shitheads and fools who are totally dependent on him for a living and an identity. If listening to all of them gush about how "great" he looks for his age and what a good build he has isn't proof of that, I don't know what is. He's just delusional and has turned into the proverbial naked king in his new (Varvatos) clothes. That motherfucker's actually convinced he's doing fantastic radio. I'm just amazed that so many of you still listen to this shit (but I understand because I hung in there for a full 2 years after Artie split even though I usually laughed 0.0 times in a 4-hour show).

12. NyMarkNy

NyMarkNy VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    No he's not deliberately making it shit, he thinks he's making it better because he's delusional and surrounded by yes men.

The modern piece of shit of the Howard Stern show is a result of 3 things and I'm sure of this....
    1. Private Parts- Because of the movie Howard had delusions of grandeur that maybe he's not the outcast he believed, but could join the ranks of Hollywood. Being catered to all day on the movie set, away from his wife for long periods of time, and the infamous rider that had condoms on it he claimed was for Ralph. Once the movie idea started getting traction it was the end of his marriage with Alison and the start of being amongst the A-list being within his grasp. He did away with his old life mentally at this point, and eventually physically.

2. Getting together with Beth- he believes he landed some genuine piece of ass that he could take to socialite parties along with other rich men and young trophy wives. He did whatever he could to please her so that she did not leave him because everyone around him was lying to him about how hot she was. It was the team of beth and Howard that this big bird looking past felt could allow him to be one of the people - the a list where women are young and have vanity charities and the men are generally assholes that make money that said young wife spends.

3. Getting brainwashed by getting things done- Howard has always had his fads that he gets into and calls everyone a moron if they don't follow along once he discovers it. But this one took the cake because it was about productivity. Once he got into this full on he completed decimated the show because he convinced himself that in order for his ascent to A-list to finally work he needs to become family friendly and everyone he pays must work towards that aim. That meant eliminating all extracurricular shows in systematic fashion so the family friendly, with an edge image could be controlled by Howard and presented to the audience. He tried to make it look organic, such as ending the block party because of a moment of frustration, but it was all calculated along with Marci Turk, her general that would give out the fuck you orders behind the scenes.

You combine these 3 things and over the course of time we have the piece of shit show and we have a glimpse at the real Howard that has been there all along. When he was young he looked like an accountant. Rock became hip, so he changed his image. Being a pussy homo became the new cool thing, so he followed suit.

TL; DR- Howard is a pussy with 3 life events leading to this ungodly end to his career, but its who he truly was all along.

13. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    On a related note, what does it say about somebody who is a current Stern Show fan? Before AGT, it could be used as a measuring stick to determine if somebody was cool and laid-back. If somebody hated Stern, you could pretty much accurately deduce that they were a douche bag. Now, it's the opposite.

dexterdog and PelicanWig like this.
  14. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The question remains as to why people are being let go almost a year before the contract ends. I think he's trying to revamp the show enough to do a trial for a completely different format for another contract. I don't even think Robin will come back.

15. trampoline

trampoline Active Member

Reputations:
    It just hit me ..the condoms were for ralph..because the Gunkmeister didn't want to catch what ralph had.

JustLurking likes this.
  16. jeffy3

jeffy3 Member

Reputations:
    I would say he's definitely positioning himself for life after Sirius. It's been a concerted effort since the demise of Back Office Radio and the cleaning up of the office and green room to be rid of any offensive material. He also seems obsessed with SNL which is either because it is convenient to book SNL guests since they are local or because he is trying to work with Lorne Michaels who runs a lot of successful talk shows.

17. selloutwig

selloutwig Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I agree with everything everyone has said but I think it's even simpler. I stopped listening a few years ago but still have Sirius for all the other channels and every now and then tune in to see if the show is listenable. I usually bail in less than a minute. On the other hand, my sister who is 1 1/2 years younger than me still listens and likes the interviews. I think he's just going for a different more feminine (not to be a sexist) audience.