News These financial articles about Sirius are ridiculous

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, Oct 12, 2015.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Losing Stern creates a huge void. How can it be a huge void when the show is off the air weeks at a time.

To the victor go the spoils, so it wasn't a surprise to see Sirius XM Radio (NASDAQ:SIRI) extend its deal with the NFL. The satellite radio provider will continue to carry every pro football game as well as the SiriusXM NFL Radio channel through 2022.

Terms of the deal weren't made public, but it's hard to fathom it being a lot more expensive -- at least on a per-subscriber basis -- than the last time that the two parties extended their pact in late 2010. Unlike television, where there are plenty of hungry networks bidding up NFL broadcasting right, Sirius XM is the only game in town when it comes to satellite radio.

The 2008 merger of Sirius and XM may not have created a monopoly when it comes to radio. Consumers have plenty of options, and those choices are growing in this age when streaming options are a quick app download away. However, when regulators allowed Sirius and XM to hook up it made this the only game in town in satellite radio. It may as well be a monopoly on premium live radio, too.

Sirius XM would seem to be the one that has all of the leverage. This isn't like the old days when Sirius and XM would bid against one another, divvying up NFL and MLB rights that way. If any content creator wants to be on premium radio it pretty much has to go through Sirius XM.

This doesn't mean that Sirius XM will be paying less overall. It had just topped 20 million subscribers when it announced the 2010 extension. It now has 28.4 million accounts. The NFL is going to want more for its product.

It's certainly still a nice catch for Sirius XM. The contract for Howard Stern is up in less than three months, and it remains to be seen if he will sign on for yet another extension. If Sirius XM loses Stern -- and fell short in securing the NFL -- that would have created a huge programming void. There are certainly plenty of reasons the NFL itself on satellite radio may not seem very valuable to its listeners.

• Most games are played on Sundays, when there aren't as many drivers on the road as there are during weekday work and school commutes.
    • Football is a visual sport, unlike baseball that lends itself to the poetry of the spoken word. It's more compelling on TV than radio.
    • Most football fans will gravitate to the local NFL team, and those broadcasts are typically available on free radio.
    This is still a smart deal, and it may even be a necessary deal. Sirius XM is rolling. It's coming off of 18 straight quarters of positive earnings, according to data from S&P Capital IQ. However, losing existing content would rightfully diminish the perceived value of the platform. Sirius XM has programming flexibility that may be the envy of the pay TV industry, but it's also in a tenuous spot with so many free or nearly free alternatives. This deal is a great catch for both Sirius XM and the NFL.

2. bluedevil30

bluedevil30 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No Stern no big name exclusive content. No CEO will rock the boat and not re-sign him. Sirius is doing great financially and don't need the negative attention if they lose Howard.

3. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    When wiggy goes people will still keep Sirius because there is a lot of good shit on for a wide variety of people.
    And Jay Thomas will still be on who is way better than wiggy.

4. itsawig

itsawig Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Wiggy: How come you said my career is like a dried up pile of dog shit, Robin?
    Robin: cuz you cant even draw flies anymore

5. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Of the 21 million people Sirius has, how many listen to the Stern Show? I have a feeling not many. Sirius will do fine when Howard goes on to painting kittens and avoiding Beth in his mansion.

6. RONNIE THE CLAW

RONNIE THE CLAW Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I barely listen to stern anymore, but enjoy SIRIUS programming without him and I will continue to pay for it with or without him.

Dorb and reno like this.
  7. Furc

Furc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    at this point, i don't think him staying or going moves the needle much for Sirius. most of the subscribers are from car sales not consumers selecting the service. the wise move for sirius would be to dump him and save the money.

funnymoney, Dorb, reno and 2 others like this.
  8. TheSurvivingJesusTwin

TheSurvivingJesusTwin Half as ubiquitous

Reputations:
    He costs them way too much. Everyone else there works for peanuts. If they keep him in any capacity or just license his tapes, it'll be for way less. If they cut him loose, no one will notice.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    funnymoney, Dorb, Dlist and 2 others like this.
  9. SalsMasterShake

SalsMasterShake Mouthpiece VIP

Reputations:
    "Those additional 8.4 million subscribers since 2010 came to Sirius to listen to ME, Robin, not some dumb basketball or soccer, or whatever that NFL is. Right, Fred?"

10. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    when howard went to sirius...I was one of the first to buy those dumb ass receivers..and I still have a fucking Stilleto somewhere.

these days, unless they give me a discount..I couldn't care less.

11. Scotty4x4

Scotty4x4 Light It Up Blue!! Staff Member

Reputations:
    A wise business move would be to pay him to NOT resign. Have him sign a nice, airtight non-disclosure to go off into the sunset. Let Mr Marbles go on air and tell all his fans that he has decided to retire on his own terms. Even if SXM gives him 20 million to not resign, in the end they save money and avoid any negative PR.

[​IMG]

"Robin, just like my dear friend Jerry Seinfeld, I leave when I am on top and everyone still wants more!!"